Official Review: Cosmic Cowboy the Musical by JD West

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Official Review: Cosmic Cowboy the Musical by JD West

Post by CommMayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cosmic Cowboy the Musical" by JD West.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I devour audiobooks: in my car commuting, in the kitchen cooking dinner, and even in my garden while pulling weeds. When I say that Cosmic Cowboy the Musical by J.D. West is unlike anything I have ever listened to, you can be sure it is coming from someone with a lot of experience listening to narrators. Unlike most traditional audiobooks, this two-hour adventure is told via the third person in a screenplay format. It includes sound effects and eleven original songs written by West.

Remo, a prince on planet Vegas, hears a broadcast of Jenna Lee Jenkins singing and is drawn twenty-five light-years to find her in Nashville. Jenna is a young, struggling artist stuck with her deadbeat manager, Lance, who is only out to make a quick buck and doesn’t always have her best interests at heart. On their way home from a show at yet another lackluster venue, Jenna and Lance discover Remo’s crashed spaceship in a cornfield and hide him away in her father’s barn. They get the surprise of a lifetime when Remo regains consciousness and demonstrates his out of this world singing skills.

West spins an interesting tale that combines UFOs and the Nashville country music scene. The story has a fun combination of humor and intrigue, but where it really shines is the music. Remo’s songs center around being an alien and his love for Jenna. Jenna’s music is about forlorn love and her singing voice steals the show; her songs sound like something you would hear on the radio on a local country station. Her music was, by far, the highlight of the audiobook for me.

In no means is the story overly complex. Characters behave as one would expect and they generally fall into their typecast rolls: hayseed farmer, drunk redneck, and greedy manager. Remo’s voice is rather disturbing at times and some of the accents are a bit over-exaggerated. I found it odd that Jenna and Lance both live with their respective parents despite being represented as adults. At one point in the story, Jenna needs to borrow her father’s tractor to get into town; while funny, it raises the question of why two adults living in a house in the middle of nowhere didn’t own at least one car between the two of them. I think the story could use a little work to be a bit more believable and immersive. I’m rating Cosmic Cowboy 3 out of 4 stars.

Hardcore audiobook devotees might initially have a hard time when they starting listening to this production. The sound effects are a bit unusual to those accustomed to straight narration and the multiple voice actors make this audiobook quite unique. Listeners who enjoyed the original A Prairie Home Companion or much older radio shows like Johnny Dollar would easily sink into this tale. A love of country music helps but is in no way a requirement to enjoy this unusual musical.

Cosmic Cowboy the Musical
View: on Bookshelves

Like CommMayo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I like what this audio book contains different effects, but also songs. This combination of UFOs and country music seems to be very interesting and entertaining
Thank you for an amazing review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the review. I am not yet accustomed to audio books, and so I will have to skip this. It sounds fascinating though.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

The only way to truly appreciate this book seems to be with the audio version. Having songs and sound effects included would really add to the experience. I can't focus well enough on audio books though. It's a shame since it seems like a fun book. Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I certainly applaud the author's ingenuity in putting UFO's and the Nashville country scene together (as it would never had occurred to me!). Being a fan of country music, I think I would enjoy this story while commuting. Thank you for a delightful review!
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I have to confess that I have never listened to a single audio book, ever. Your enthusiasm for them, along with that of other reviewers on here, makes me think that I'm missing something. I'm not sure I'm going to start with one that combines UFOs and country music, but I think I'm definitely going to try an audio book soon. Thanks for a great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

West spins an interesting tale that combines UFOs and the Nashville country music scene. The story has a fun combination of humor and intrigue, but where it really shines is the music. Remo’s songs center around being an alien and his love for Jenna. Jenna’s music is about forlorn love and her singing voice steals the show; her songs sound like something you would hear on the radio on a local country station. Her music was, by far, the highlight of the audiobook for me.
I can see why this is unlike anything you've listened to--it sounds quite unique...and fun.
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

I have not had the opportunity to listen to total audio book before. I'd really like to listen to this one since the author put country music and UFOs together in this book.
Bamwiine Patrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bamwiine Patrick »

Thank you for the review. Indeed, I can't stop absorbing the sword of life in audio books. Likewise, the UFOs and music pulls the entire universe look beautiful.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I was raised on country! This sounds amazing and I would love to hear Jenna's songs. It could be the first time I've heard a country song mention aliens!! Thanks for this allegro review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like a unique premise. I like that it is an audiobook and is filled with many songs. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This certainly seems like an interesting twist on an audiobook. The only time I have listened to audiobooks has been on long trips, but I may have to start doing that more often. Thank you for getting me more interested in them and for a great review!
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

I love music as it always uplifts my mood. Now, there's no doubt that I'll enjoy listening to this audio book. And I'm intrigued by West's inclution of his original songs.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Ooh, this sounds really interesting - I like that there are different voice actors used to portray the various characters, although there still seems to be a few loopholes here and there. I have yet to try out audiobooks myself, but I might give this a try. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm all for bringing back the old style radio shows in an audiobook such as this. It sounds interesting; though it's a bit unusual to combine UFOs and singing fame. Still, it'd be worth looking at. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”