Review by maggi3 -- Inspirience: Meditation Unbound

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Review by maggi3 -- Inspirience: Meditation Unbound

Post by maggi3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Inspirience: Meditation Unbound" by Richard L Haight.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What does meditation look like to you? If you’re like me, it’s a calming yet frustrating experience. You sit down, focus on your breathing for a while, and then go about your daily life. You try to make a routine of it but continually make excuses and end up quitting. That is, of course, until you’re stressed again and decide to use meditation to cope.

This cycle is common to people who have tried to meditate. The purpose of Inspirience: Meditation Unbound by Richard L. Haight is to stop this cycle and to incorporate meditation into every aspect of your life. In this way, you can reach what the author refers to as “inspirience,” seeing the oneness of the universe.

This is a relatively short book. The audio version that I had was about four hours in length. In that time, Haight gives six different meditations, each with a different purpose, which are repeated at the end of the book for the reader’s convenience. He discusses his path to inspirience, his experiments with meditation, and how readers can encounter inspirience for themselves.

Haight uses his own personal anecdotes to help the reader understand the concepts he discusses and why they are useful. Some of these stories require the reader to be very open-minded and trusting of Haight. For example, he claims in one section that he was able to meditate so deeply that a coyote and a bobcat both saw him, acknowledged him, and then moved on, knowing he was not a threat. These types of stories are mixed with everyday tales that offer the reader some advice or prove the author’s point. The stories are what stuck with me after I finished reading, and they were easily my favorite thing about Inspirience.

There was very little to dislike about the book. I was unable to detect any errors in the audio version of the text, and the author did a great job of explaining the points he was making. Listening to the audio version was almost a form of meditation in itself. The only real thing that bothered me was that some of his advice was hard to take. In one meditation, he says, “Once you notice the spaciousness, simply expand the feeling globally to the entire universe.” That sounds good in theory, but there is nothing “simple” about it. Also, this book claims to be much more unique than it actually is. I’ve heard much of what Haight was saying elsewhere, whether it be through other meditation resources or religions. Those who are expecting an entirely new approach to meditation will be disappointed, but those who go in seeking the author’s personal view and advice will not be.

I am giving Inspirience: Meditation Unbound 3 out of 4 stars. The aforementioned problems and repetition of concepts kept me from giving it the full four stars. However, I did enjoy this book. The author gave many helpful tips and fascinating anecdotes about how he came to the conclusions that he did. He uses some concepts I have heard in religion and mentions the supernatural a few times, but the main focus is always on meditation. You do not have to be religious to follow this book; you simply need to be open-minded.

The concepts discussed in Inspirience are best suited for adults because of their complex nature. If you are looking for an easy, simple read, this is not the right book to choose. This one would be best for those with a love of philosophy who want to try a different form of meditation and better themselves in the process.

Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like maggi3's review? Post a comment saying so!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

Meditation helps when you're depressed. Thanks to the author for bringing this subject on. I really like your review. Thanks for mentioning that most of his approaches aren't new. A good review there, congrats.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
maggi3

Post by maggi3 »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 23:02 Meditation helps when you're depressed. Thanks to the author for bringing this subject on. I really like your review. Thanks for mentioning that most of his approaches aren't new. A good review there, congrats.
Thank you for commenting!

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

It's good to incorporate meditation to our everyday lives. But, with our busyness, we don't have time or the patience for that. As a Buddhist, I've learned simple forms of meditation from a small age. But, it's not good to try deep and complex meditations without guidance. So, I don't think this book will be useful to me in that aspect. But, this book might help me to not forget meditation. So, thanks for your insightful review.
maggi3

Post by maggi3 »

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 03:16 It's good to incorporate meditation to our everyday lives. But, with our busyness, we don't have time or the patience for that. As a Buddhist, I've learned simple forms of meditation from a small age. But, it's not good to try deep and complex meditations without guidance. So, I don't think this book will be useful to me in that aspect. But, this book might help me to not forget meditation. So, thanks for your insightful review.
Thanks for commenting!

Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I absolutely love your review. You have managed to detail the author's standpoint with a precise and accurate description. I've read Richard L Haight's work and can see how it can be hard to digest for some people. I also encountered the same problems with some of his concepts that you have mentioned here but also liked how he uses personal life experiences to illustrate his point of view. Thanks for the well-written review. I enjoyed reading it.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
maggi3

Post by maggi3 »

Ekta Kumari wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 16:55 I absolutely love your review. You have managed to detail the author's standpoint with a precise and accurate description. I've read Richard L Haight's work and can see how it can be hard to digest for some people. I also encountered the same problems with some of his concepts that you have mentioned here but also liked how he uses personal life experiences to illustrate his point of view. Thanks for the well-written review. I enjoyed reading it.
Thanks for commenting! I’m glad you enjoyed the review.

Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I can honestly say I am one of those people who find meditation frustrating. Maybe I should give this one a try, though I can't really pay attention well to audio books. I saw this a few times and wished it were in written form to review instead of audio. Thanks for the review :)
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
maggi3

Post by maggi3 »

Letora wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 18:07 I can honestly say I am one of those people who find meditation frustrating. Maybe I should give this one a try, though I can't really pay attention well to audio books. I saw this a few times and wished it were in written form to review instead of audio. Thanks for the review :)
It has a written version as well. It’s strange that that version wasn’t for review, though. I also usually find I have a hard time with audiobooks, but this one was short enough to keep my attention. Thanks for commenting!

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Those who are interested with the concept of meditation will like the book. Thanks for the review.
maggi3

Post by maggi3 »

Wyland wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 07:56 Those who are interested with the concept of meditation will like the book. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I'm amazed by your "unreserved" openness about your own personal experiences and predilection. I can't say I don't see myself in those same shoes at times, too. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
maggi3

Post by maggi3 »

Espie wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 19:25 I'm amazed by your "unreserved" openness about your own personal experiences and predilection. I can't say I don't see myself in those same shoes at times, too. Thank you for your honest review.
Thank you for commenting!

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I read this book also and thoroughly enjoyed reading the highlights again through your eyes. Thank you for an excellent and thorough review!
maggi3

Post by maggi3 »

Bluebird03 wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 14:33 I read this book also and thoroughly enjoyed reading the highlights again through your eyes. Thank you for an excellent and thorough review!
I’m glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”