Official Review: House of Pain by Denna Holm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Official Review: House of Pain by Denna Holm

Post by Mouricia Allen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "House of Pain" by Denna Holm.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

House of Pain by Denna Holm is classified as Sci-Fi/Fantasy, but it reads like a dark erotica novel. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised at the discovery. The story is about Magdalena (Maggie) Shelbador a succubus, and her quest to find true love. She is a slave who dreams of being free of the life she has in the whorehouse in which she grew up. Her story becomes tangled with that of a widower named Daniel and all the troubles he encounters trying to rescue his kidnapped son. The story is set in the year 3515 and is very apocalyptic by all accounts. The story is filled with demons and magic, and people who are trying to survive in a time that seems almost prehistoric.

What I liked most about this story is that every area was well developed. The storyline was impeccable, and any questions that I had were answered as I read further. There was nothing I disliked about this book. While I don't agree with some parts, especially the bits including the abuse of children, the author was still able to write a captivating story. She was able to write a story that caused me not to use my real life biases to judge the book.

The character development was significant, and I was able to see the characters in a different way, which added to the quality of the story. The main characters were given enough of a back story to understand them, but not too much that it took away from the main story. The main themes I observed were pain, torture, friendship, loyalty, and love. Being able to find people loyal enough to risk their life for you is a gift that should never be taken for granted.

This book has lots of triggers and is not suitable for squeamish persons or children. It is very sexually charged and is only appropriate for a mature audience. I was very flabbergasted when I read some parts of the book. Some of the scenes depicted were not only taboo, but some were very disturbing, and they involved kids.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, as it is well written and edited. I found only one error, and I almost missed it. This book is perfect for book clubs, as many points can be discussed. I would not recommend this to people who do not like dark or sexual novels.

House of Pain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mouricia25's review? Post a comment saying so!
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

It seems there are so much action taking place in this novel with Maggie trying to extricate herself from slavery and Daniel trying to rescue his son. Abuse of children is gross, though! The fact that it's well-edited is also another plus that makes me want to read it. Thank you for this wonderful review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I do like the futuristic setting, but erotica is not my genre. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but it isn't for me. At least it was well done for the genre, though. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This sounds very anime in concept but erotic in execution. I'm not sure I would have picked it up on its own, but I just might do so now. Thanks!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

Seems like a good read but I don't appreciate the area of interest in this read. Thanks!
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

I like books with significant character-development. However, erotica is not my genre of interest. Great that you enjoyed it.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a captivating paranormal dystopian romantic novel with well-built tension, drama, grief, abduction, a unique darkside, and mature content. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an awesome OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @dennaholm on the BOTD selection.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I like the supernatural feel to this book along with all the character development. It sounds like a lot of it might be too intense for me, though. The erotica and child abuse cause me to pause before picking this one up.
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

The book sounds really thrilling. I am impressed with collaboration of science fiction and crime thriller. I am very excited to read it.
Erick Muyesu
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading: Mine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-muyesu.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Erick Muyesu »

The house of pain as the topic suggests seems like an interesting book to read. I am not a science fiction lover but this one has pricked my interest. I am eager to find out if Maggie's quest to find true love was successful. Insightful review.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I love both classifications of this novel. I'm more into the romance and erotic genres so I think book will fit me perfectly.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

As it's an erotica, I will probably give it a miss. Although I do approve of the inclusion of a succubus. Thanks for the critical review.
Annclaire Gachie
Favorite Book: Throne of Glass
Currently Reading: Good Leaders Ask Great Questions
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Annclaire Gachie »

I like the story line and the character development of this novel. The fact that its also sexually charged makes me want to read it even more!
Great review!
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tan TR »

I enjoyed the honest review. It seems like the story is very captivating. Although, I am not sure what to think about the abuse of children, I understand it is part of the book. Sounds like a sexually charged, apocalyptic book. I am interested to see how the author intertwined those two aspects.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the review; I am intrigued by the book, and I would definitely love to see how the author utilises sex as a major component of the book's main themes.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”