Official Review: The time we have by aastha madhur

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Official Review: The time we have by aastha madhur

Post by Bluebird03 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The time we have" by aastha madhur.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Time We Have begins with Lea’s story on Christmas Eve. Having lost her mother as a young child, she also lost her dad five years ago. She shoulders so much responsibility with school and a part-time job at Hal’s Diner (to help out financially while living with her Aunt Helen). This evening, as she climbs the steps to her apartment, she is overcome with cherished memories and grief. As the overwhelming sense of loss hits her head on, she sits down on one of the steps and lets the tears fall.

Across the street, Matt looks out his window and sees her. His concern for her is piqued, and he walks across the snow-laden street to check on her. While they have rarely spoken outside of a few classes, Matt consoles her. As a spur of the moment idea, he invites her to join him for dinner. Dinner turns into a long walk along the shore. When they accidentally bump into one another the following day (Christmas) they end up spending it together as well.

Soon they begin to realize that they have much in common and enjoy each other’s company immensely. But they are both from such different worlds. Lea is a shy and thoughtful girl, and Matt is the outgoing and popular kid at school. Will their relationship be able to survive as they resume classes and try to mesh their very different lives? And what about the life-altering secret that one of them will soon learn? How will this devastating knowledge affect the two of them?

I loved the casual way the author built the conversations and the relationship between the two main characters. Their words flowed effortlessly, and I found myself immersed in their witty and thought-provoking dialog. I particularly enjoyed their discussions of books they had read (mostly the classics) and their interpretations and thoughts regarding them. Lea and Matt’s conversations, ideas, and actions were all consistent with many adults their age, making the characters relatable. Readers will quickly become acquainted with this young couple and cheer for them to work through any issues to stay together. The secondary characters were also thoughtfully portrayed- especially Sarah (Lea’s best friend) and Aunt Helen. Readers will feel the concern that both of these ladies have for Lea, as she tentatively embarks on her first love.

Against a backdrop of romance, the author weaves themes of love, friendship, loss, and grief. Madhur most assuredly did not hold back on emotion as she penned this poignant story. Stopping to replenish my Kleenex supply was the only reason I found to put this book down. At the noted 244 pages, this story is not a long read. I could find nothing to dislike about this novel. Unfortunately, since I did discover more than ten errors, I am obligated to deduct from the rating. However, these errors did not at all detract from my enjoyment in reading this book.

Given the reasons noted, I award The Time We Have by Aastha Madhur 3 out of 4 stars. This exquisite novel will appeal to anyone who is a fan of the contemporary romance genre. And, because there is no violence or sexual content, this story will also be appropriate for younger readers. Those not into romance may want to avoid this one. It is my pleasure to recommend this beautiful love story!

The time we have
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bluebird03's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I enjoyed your review and am glad to learn that the errors didn't detract from the book and also that there isn't any violent or sexual content. Great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Lea sounds like she has had a hard life and Matt saw her despair and wanted to help. Thanks for the wonderful review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

It's always so disappointing when you have to deduct a point from an otherwise outstanding story because of errors. At least it's an easy fix for the author, and this book sounds wonderful otherwise. Beautifully written review!
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

Sounds like an emotional romance. I enjoy a good romance sometimes but I'm not really into emotions but if I need a good cry then I'll give this book a read. Nice review.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
phills
Currently Reading: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by phills »

The time we have by aastha madhur
Is a story Of a young girl who lost both father and mother at a tender age.. I think the absence of the parents exposes Lea to some physical Challenge both materially and financially
Although she some times get carried away deep down with thoughts of what she is passing through but Matt came along to put away some of those ugly memory away.
The story is a very nice one with characters well presented with normal stanza which can attract a reader to read on.... Thanks
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

I feel the situation Lea is at, losing both parents isnt a light thing. I really hope her love life drowns her sorrows. Thanks for the review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like a delightful and heartwarming book. It is a real shame that the author didn't go the extra mile with hiring a solid editor.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 13:03 I enjoyed your review and am glad to learn that the errors didn't detract from the book and also that there isn't any violent or sexual content. Great review!
Thank you so much, Cecilia! It broke my heart not to be able to award the full four stars :cry2: Hopefully others will read this one and enjoy it as much as I did.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 13:48 Lea sounds like she has had a hard life and Matt saw her despair and wanted to help. Thanks for the wonderful review!
They were such a cute couple. Thank you, Stephanie, for reading my review and for your comments!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

unamilagra wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 17:36 It's always so disappointing when you have to deduct a point from an otherwise outstanding story because of errors. At least it's an easy fix for the author, and this book sounds wonderful otherwise. Beautifully written review!
You are so right, unamilagra! It hurts me to have to deduct the point. Hopefully the author will make those corrections and have an outstanding novel. Thank you so much for your very kind comments!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Wriley wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 23:42 Sounds like an emotional romance. I enjoy a good romance sometimes but I'm not really into emotions but if I need a good cry then I'll give this book a read. Nice review.
When you are ready for your good cry, this will definitely be the book for you. Thank you for reading my review and for commenting!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

phills wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 07:44 The time we have by aastha madhur
Is a story Of a young girl who lost both father and mother at a tender age.. I think the absence of the parents exposes Lea to some physical Challenge both materially and financially
Although she some times get carried away deep down with thoughts of what she is passing through but Matt came along to put away some of those ugly memory away.
The story is a very nice one with characters well presented with normal stanza which can attract a reader to read on.... Thanks
Matt was very patient and helpful in helping Lea to move beyond grief and enjoy her life more. Thank you- for reading my review and for commenting!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 07:48 I feel the situation Lea is at, losing both parents isnt a light thing. I really hope her love life drowns her sorrows. Thanks for the review.
Yes, Matt had a very positive effect on her. Thank you for your comments!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 10:53 Sounds like a delightful and heartwarming book. It is a real shame that the author didn't go the extra mile with hiring a solid editor.
I completely agree. It seems like a lot of time and effort put into writing a book, only to omit the last step of editing. Thank you so much for reading my review and for your comments!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”