Review by Abimbola Omojowo -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tr...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abimbola Omojowo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abimbola-omojowo.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by Abimbola Omojowo -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tr...

Post by Abimbola Omojowo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

TIPS, MYTHS AND RIPS: A Physician's Advice

This is a non-fiction book by Dr. Morton E. Tavel. As the name suggests, it consists of three sections: tips, myths and rips. It also covers various topics on health matters that are divided into sixty-two brief and straight forward chapters.

The first section tips focus on health and general wellbeing. Topics such as weight loss, the importance of breakfast, foods to eat and also avoid eating, etc are extensively dealt with here. The aim is to adopt and maintain a healthier lifestyle. The second section myths, focus on misconceptions about the world we live in and different conspiracy theories. Here he demystifies some long held beliefs about healthy food (organic or GMs, gluten and the likes). The last section is tricks employed by unscrupulous entities to scam individuals of their money. He gives an insight into their machinations with facts, providing links that can be verified.

There is a chapter dedicated to water, where he dealt thoroughly with contamination. I find this very informative as this is a global issue. He provided a toll free number and a website for more information. Other little issues that seem inconsequential were also expanded on, such as hand drying, commercial air travel, polygraph tests, and so on.

I like many things about this book, first is the organisation one can choose to read it as a whole or skip to the parts that appeal to the reader. He explained each point properly in simple terms such that anyone can easily understand. Though it has sixty-two chapters, each is very short and highly informative. The author come across as honest and straightforward, he gives advice with medical facts leaving the decision solely as the responsibility of the reader. He employed humour and sarcasm to drive home his points. Second is that the author presented facts backed up with data which can be verified on the internet.

There was nothing I dislike about it as I truly enjoyed reading it and will be making reference to it from time to time. I will rate this book TIPS, MYTHS AND RIPS: A Physician's Advice, 4 out of 4. Even though I noticed some typographical errors, they are not significant as to affect the flow. I will recommend it to everyone, especially those with health challenges and also people who are imbibing healthy lifestyle.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Abimbola Omojowo's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”