Official Review: Standing Out by Angela Lee Chen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
coffeeteal
Currently Reading: The Grand
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B07RB71NTN

Re: Official Review: Standing Out by Angela Lee Chen

Post by coffeeteal »

The review is compelling enough to make me want to read the memoir, though I've never been keen on reading memoirs. I can relate to the author through this review because I've always imagined myself writing a lot about my life experiences.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

This book sounds so fun and interesting. I think I would enjoy exploring the world with Ms. Chen via her book and getting her unique perspective on things.
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

I love reading about other cultures. Standing Out sounds like a really great read. Angela's adventure travelling the world makes this book fun and interesting. Great review too. Very detailed and precise
tayw1226
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tayw1226 »

Good review. I am not usually interested in memoirs but this one was perked my interest. I think her talking about the different cultures will shed some light on them. The family dynamic seems interesting. Thank you for the review.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Answering where she's from sounds complicated! No wonder she gets frustrated with that question.
Many times, her dad surprised me how he did not communicate much about where or what the family was going to do next. They just had to be ready!
That happened in my house too when I was growing up. My brother and I learned to pack for hot and cold, desert, mountains, caves, and beach...it was usually a combination. But we never had to try to blend in and "act local", that sounds difficult.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

I can't imagine having to pick up and leave at a moment's notice, sometimes across continents! Then again, I'm a homebody, though there are a few places I'd love to visit at least once in this lifetime (China being one of them). This sounds like a lovely tale of finding and defining yourself, which is just as much of an adventure sometimes as traveling the world. Thanks for your review!
Elsereen
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsereen.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Elsereen »

All thanks to BOTD for bringing forward such book, but I am not interested Good luck!
Lasella22
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lasella22 »

Earlier in the day, I was browsing through the newspaper and came across this article about how instead of asking a person where he is from we should start asking a person which place he feels like a local. This review reminded me of that article. Being an expat myself, I’m intrigued to read this book about how the author dealt with being almost an expat her whol life. I recently started reading biographies and this review has definitely piqued my interest. Would love to read this book and get a glimpse into the authors life.
Akinsemoyin Adeola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinsemoyin-adeola.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Akinsemoyin Adeola »

This sounds like a book I'm going to enjoy reading. Great job on the review.
Seamstress
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84

Post by Seamstress »

What a happy coincidence! I was just thinking that I would have liked to read memoir only to find you giving such stellar recommendation! Live story of family ties, travels and cross-cultural experiences. Seems like delightful book to me.
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

While it sounds interesting, I never cared for first person novels but I might just give it a try.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

This sounds like a beautiful memoir, and I love the fact that some anecdotes are light-hearted and sweet while others are sad and moving. It makes for a great balance. I think I'd very much so enjoy this book!
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting memoir about an author that has traveled the world with her family. Well done.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

Great review with a nice description of Angela's story. From reading the sample, I was immediately pulled into the book. I've never thought about knowing what to do at weddings, births, and funerals in different cultures. I grew up and live in the rural south and there are not many different cultural communities. We have cities that are very international but not large groups of the same culture. I immediately know what to do at special occasions and take that for granted. This sounds like a book worth reading.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

The fact that this book is about the author's memoirs and cross-cultural experiences makes it intriguing and educative. I will definitely read this book. Great review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”