Official Review: Burying Leo by Helga Gruendler-Schierloh

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Burying Leo by Helga Gruendler-Schierloh

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Burying Leo" by Helga Gruendler-Schierloh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burying Leo is a novel written by Helga Gruendler-Schierloh. The protagonist, Ingrid Mellner, had something horrible happen to her when she was eighteen and lived in Germany. This forces her to give up her love of music and go to America to live with her sister for the summer to heal. While there, she meets Joe Bassen, a divorced father with two children. After only a month, she marries him and stays in America. Ingrid desperately wants a family with Joe, but he has no interest in having more children and will not even discuss it. Their marriage seems to be gradually imploding.

Her father becomes deathly ill, and Ingrid has to go alone to Augsburg, Germany to be with him. Unfortunately, he passes away before she can get there, and she is stricken with grief. While in Germany, she runs into an old boyfriend who betrayed her in the past. This brought back a lot of bad memories.

After returning home, she becomes good friends with Mick, a musician. He helps her through some dark times. So she can move forward with her life, he encourages her to seek closure on her past. Will Ingrid be able to get justice for herself and take control of her future?

This is not a fast-paced novel. Nonetheless, it got my attention from the beginning and held it until the end. Starting with the present and slowly weaving in the past, the novel goes back and forth in time. This is done seamlessly by giving you a clue before switching times. The author’s fluid writing skills keep the reader engaged throughout the book.

I loved the character development and descriptions. When our story begins, Ingrid just keeps going along with the flow, though she is not happy. With Mick’s help, she becomes strong enough to take the steps towards getting justice for herself and to try to get happiness. However, she does have her flaws. She gets jealous easily, and she is selfish sometimes. Nonetheless, those flaws make her more believable and relatable. Joe is a driven, selfish, and ambitious workaholic who thinks nothing is more important than getting richer. He is constantly asking Ingrid to play up to his prospective business partners to get what he wants. He also demands that she help out with his business, although she really doesn’t wish to. Ingrid never tells him about the trauma in her past because she doesn’t fully trust him, and he is not very empathetic. Mick is a kind, giving, and loving man who brings out the best in Ingrid. He loves music and gets Ingrid interested in singing again. He has his own demons and has to deal with them. Getting to know the different characters was my favorite part of the book.

The settings are well described and easily visualized as well. The descriptions of Augsburg, Germany made me want to visit there.

I really enjoyed this character-driven book and had difficulty putting it down. Therefore, I think this well-written novel deserves 4 out of 4 stars as I did not find a single grammatical error. The only negative thing I have to say about the story is that it is a little dark at times and could be depressing. Therefore, people who need to avoid sad books should probably bypass this novel. Other than that, I think it would be enjoyed by anyone, especially people who like drama and suspense.

Burying Leo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Prisallen's review? Post a comment saying so!
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

Ingrid is in such a dilema. Life strikes so hard, sometimes we wonder whether the characters will survive. I particularly loved the summary of the book in the first part of your review. Thanks for such a review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

I tend to tune out when books aren't fast paced, however it seems like the characters make up for the pacing. Excellent review!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I'm a sucker for books where one of the main cast is a musician, and this one sounds awesome. Ingrid's story is interesting as well, and I'd love to know what led to her marrying Joe since your portrait of him isn't flattering at all.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 04:19 Ingrid is in such a dilema. Life strikes so hard, sometimes we wonder whether the characters will survive. I particularly loved the summary of the book in the first part of your review. Thanks for such a review.
Thank you, Juliusotieno02, for reading my review and commenting!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds very character-driven, which isn't a bad thing. The protagonist seems like a complex character with many emotions that the reader is allowed to feel. Thanks so much for the review, but I'm not sure it's a book for me.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

Interesting! When I read your review I couldn't help but notice my adrenaline shot up. Thanks for the experience!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Delaney35 wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 06:29 I tend to tune out when books aren't fast paced, however it seems like the characters make up for the pacing. Excellent review!
I thoroughly enjoyed it and it kept my attention all the way through. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like my favorite type of book. One that is character-driven and explores relationships. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Nisha Ward wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 07:20 I'm a sucker for books where one of the main cast is a musician, and this one sounds awesome. Ingrid's story is interesting as well, and I'd love to know what led to her marrying Joe since your portrait of him isn't flattering at all.
He was handsome and charismatic, and I think she felt safe. You don't always know someone with such a short courtship. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 08:37 This one sounds very character-driven, which isn't a bad thing. The protagonist seems like a complex character with many emotions that the reader is allowed to feel. Thanks so much for the review, but I'm not sure it's a book for me.
Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Scarlet Nicoll wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 08:42 Interesting! When I read your review I couldn't help but notice my adrenaline shot up. Thanks for the experience!
You are welcome! :D Thank you, Scarlet Nicoll, for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 10:54 This sounds like my favorite type of book. One that is character-driven and explores relationships. Thanks for the wonderful review!
You are welcome. I hope you have a chance to read it!
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I thought that I'd loose interest in this book after hearing it's not fast paced. But, after reading the whole review, I feel like I've known the characters for a long tine and now, I'm invested in Ingrid's story and want to know what will happen to her. So, thanks a lot for your lovely review. I enjoyed reading it very much.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I really like when books/shows go back and forth in time. Sounds like Ingrid goes through so much in this book. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”