Review by Wyland -- A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Review by Wyland -- A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Wyland »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Bloody Book" by Chris Bowen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The kids in the “Reading Hell” class are an angry lot. And nowhere is this clearly reflected than in the way they think of their teachers. For starters, they think teachers, like all adults, don’t know how to communicate, and won’t keep quiet either, as they hate silence. As a matter of fact, if they can help it, the kids would delay answering their teachers’ questions, just to infuriate them. However, what really irks the kids the most is that, if knowledge is power, then, by virtue of them being in the Reading Hell class, they’re at the bottom of the pecking order.

A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen features a lead character by the name of Maxx. He’s just starting on his teenage years, and a striking feature about him is his aggressive communication style and anger issues, something that is clearly visible on his choice of the book title.

Moreover, I liked the fact that Bowen has broached the theme of brokenness quite well. Indeed, this is the common thread linking all the children in Reading Hell—a term coined by Maxx to describe a class of below average students—together. Unfortunately, the teachers and the school administration, on the other hand, pay no more than a cursory glance at the plight of these children, something that sets them up to a life of providing “slave labor for the kids in other rooms.” Not unless, that is, someone, anyone, in authority is willing to cast off their buttoned-up attitude and come to the aid of these students.

Furthermore, in my reading, I was endeared by the fact that the author was in perception quite well with his matter at hand. He proved that, if anyone was to be in touch with these kids, then, he had to talk like them, act like them, and wear an outfit relatable to them. Apparently, how “stupid” a teacher looked in terms of their dressing, and still appear they cared less about it, scored marks with the students. Additionally, some of the role plays involving, for example, severed fingers and “going back to the scene of crime,” seemed to work up memory and ease off the stand-off between the teacher and the students.

Bowen’s tone is aggressive and angry, like someone who has endured the mistreatment and injustice he talks about. Moreover, he offers plenty of wry humor, occasionally, with his statements, like “I assure you. It will be a bloody book. Scout’s Honor.”

On the contrary, on the other side of the scale, there a lot of issues (captured ten errors) with editing (like the preceding example, where the sentence is fragmented) that need to be addressed. While I won’t penalize for the slang (writing style) phrases, there were instances where it was clear the author intended one word, but he erroneously used another: “why” instead of “way,” or “if” instead of “it.” Additionally, one sentence contained an erroneous capitalized word and two sentences had wrong punctuation marks. Otherwise, I enjoyed reading the book because the themes explored are pertinent in our contemporary society, and the conflict created was resolved amicably. I, therefore, rate the book 3 out of 4 stars.

I recommend the book to high school students, parents, teachers, and school administrators. There is an allusion and acts of violence and drug abuse but not enough to distract sensitive readers. More importantly, though, the lessons learned are worth every effort in looking for and reading the novel.

A Bloody Book
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Wyland's review? Post a comment saying so!
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

Sounds like someone just spoke for the children with bellow average performance in class. I really would like to read the book and comprehend the author's arguments. Anyway your review was good, it made me so curious. Thanks for the review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Niski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niski.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Niski »

I hope the author sorts out the editing issues. This is such a great premise, it's a shame it's editing is not up to scratch.
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 03:47 Sounds like someone just spoke for the children with bellow average performance in class. I really would like to read the book and comprehend the author's arguments. Anyway your review was good, it made me so curious. Thanks for the review.
Yes thy did, juliusotieno02 and it was timely. Thanks for your kind comments!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

There are often underlying issues for most kids with below average scores. I'd be interested in seeing if and how much of this that Bowen highlights.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Niski wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 05:17 I hope the author sorts out the editing issues. This is such a great premise, it's a shame it's editing is not up to scratch.
Yes I agree. The topic is so valid in a society that is increasingly marginalizing some groups. Thanks for your kind comments.
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Nisha Ward wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 07:34 There are often underlying issues for most kids with below average scores. I'd be interested in seeing if and how much of this that Bowen highlights.
I encourage you to. Bowen seems to speak from an insider point of view. Thanks for your kind comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Unfortunately, some kids do get left behind in school, and it does set up a future for them that is less than optimal unless someone steps in to change their course. I hope the author gets the errors fixed soon. Thanks for a very nice review!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like this book perfectly highlights how broken many school systems are and how tradition thoughts about education are leaving students behind.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I'm glad that issues were resolved amicably and that there are valuable lessons learned with this novel. That alone often adds to the appeal of a book to me. Great review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I appreciate that the lessons contained in the book are worth every effort. Thanks for your thorough review and I hope the highlighted errors will be corrected.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Nisha Ward wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 07:34 There are often underlying issues for most kids with below average scores. I'd be interested in seeing if and how much of this that Bowen highlights.
Bowen is quite upfront with his views. I encourage you to check the book out. Thanks for your kind comments.
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Prisallen wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 14:38 Unfortunately, some kids do get left behind in school, and it does set up a future for them that is less than optimal unless someone steps in to change their course. I hope the author gets the errors fixed soon. Thanks for a very nice review!
Quite unfortunate on the kids who get left behind academically by their peers. I think it's a failure by the support structure. Thanks for your insightful views.
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 11:15 Sounds like this book perfectly highlights how broken many school systems are and how tradition thoughts about education are leaving students behind.
Yes, I felt its a discussion that should happen more frequently an urgently among the various stakeholders, as we are talking about the future of kids here. Thanks for your kind comments.
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Bluebird03 wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 14:15 I'm glad that issues were resolved amicably and that there are valuable lessons learned with this novel. That alone often adds to the appeal of a book to me. Great review!
Thanks for your kind comments. Yes, I agree with you on the positive impact the book has.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”