Y/A but not generic book recommendations?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
aida17
Bookshelf Size: 0

Y/A but not generic book recommendations?

Post by aida17 »

Hello 😊

I’ve been struggling to find a good book to read recently; I enjoy Y/A books but sometimes they can feel a bit repetitive. I really like the works of Adam Silvera in particular so if anyone has any recommendations of books like his that have a little something extra to them, I would be very thankful!

Thank you,
🐘
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

The Young Elites is a trilogy by Marie Lu. It's very interesting, and the ending was upsetting in the best possible way. I read it a couple years ago and remember being very furious at the end.
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EllieLieberman »

I've never heard of Adam Silvera, but looking him up, I think you might enjoy Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan.

Another one worth reading is Trail of the Raven, Haiti by Chip Davis. It is phenomenal.
Springerspaniels10

Post by Springerspaniels10 »

Divergent series, mortal instruments, fallen, matched.

Im picky too, each romance along with other great qualities.
sarahbooks

Post by sarahbooks »

I would recommend the Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard. This series has an interesting take on magic, rebellion against societal expectations, and romantic intrigue!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Iirc, Scott Westerfeld has a great steampunk series that would be good. Also, Garth Nix's work.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

The Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson and The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.
jkmalik

Post by jkmalik »

I would recommend the Anna Godbersen Luxe series. It's a delicious novel set in the backdrop of upperclass, 19th century NY.

I also recommended for witty and sarcastic Megan McCafferty's Jessica Darling series---although, I did only enjoy the first three books.

I haven't read it yet, but the premise for Heretics Anonymous looks interesting.

Ned Vizzini's It's Kind of a Funny Story is a classic.

And, I'm not sure if this counts as YA, since she's an adult at this point, but I've read the first Veronica Mars book, and it's amazing.

Also, I know it's popular, but One of Us is Lying is fantastic.
KatiesReading
Currently Reading: Strange the Dreamer
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by KatiesReading »

If you want something a little different then the "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" series by Laini Taylor is perfect. It is beautifully written, the characters are unforgettable and the story is rather epic. I couldn't recommend them enough! :)
earprick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-earprick.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by earprick »

If you want something different, there's always books with nonhuman characters! I keep recommending the Wings of Fire series by Tui Sutherland, since it's everything I ever wanted from a story about dragons. It starts with five young dragons tasked with stopping a continent-wide war...no pressure, right?

On the other hand, if you don't want to read a series, you can pick up The Sight by David Clement Davies. It's a story about wolves in Romania in the middle ages. It has such a fairy tale feel, with a tragic bend if that's your thing.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

KatiesReading wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 05:42 If you want something a little different then the "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" series by Laini Taylor is perfect. It is beautifully written, the characters are unforgettable and the story is rather epic. I couldn't recommend them enough! :)
Yes, I definitely agree! Laini Taylor’s writing is positively gorgeous.
~Roxie~
MRose200293
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrose200293.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by MRose200293 »

You could give “I’ll Give You the Sun” by Jandy Nelson a try!! It’s one of my all-time favourites
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

KatiesReading wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 05:42 If you want something a little different then the "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" series by Laini Taylor is perfect. It is beautifully written, the characters are unforgettable and the story is rather epic. I couldn't recommend them enough! :)
I was about to recommend this too! It's an amazing series, unlike anything I've read before.

I'd also recommend taking a look at the The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. A compelling story of lost loves throughout history, will both the main characters make it to the end alive?
sunmuth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunmuth.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by sunmuth »

If you want contemporary, I recommend Radio Silence by Alice Oseman. Otherwise I'm also going to add to the list of people recommending Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

Eleanor and Park is a wonderful book by Rainbow Rowell. It's a teen romance, but not like a cliche, it describes how awkward first love can actually be.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”