Featured Official Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer [December 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Featured Official Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer [December 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "E M P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kelly and Tom Turbulo are on their honeymoon in Honduras. After stumbling upon a group of terrorists, they realize that this isn't quite going to be the relaxing vacation they had planned. The two must figure out what this group is up to before they try to stop whatever sinister plot they have planned.

E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer is an action novel of around 220 pages. The plot is fast-paced, and the author adds some humor to lighten the story. There are some innuendos, but, with nothing graphic, the book would be appropriate for teenagers to adults.

The author tells the story through the use of the third person perspective. We follow several of the characters, and each time there is a change of perspective, the reader is alerted. This made the shifts easy to follow. I enjoyed seeing the world from different eyes. My favorite was actually one of the terrorists. She was not American, so seeing the tourist locations from her point of view was enlightening.

In the midst of all that's taking place, the author even finds time to sneak in a few, subtle references to the real world. The President is giving a speech, and the First Lady is present. The press takes up a running commentary on the First Lady, including her clothes, her designer, and if she's gained weight. It made the book that much more realistic and enjoyable to me.

The action starts almost immediately, which really pulls you into the story. The author keeps up this fast pace throughout; however, it is sometimes to the detriment of the story. There were several times near the end where the scene never really resolved. The story simply jumps forward to the next point in time. It felt too rushed. If Ms. Mercer had simply slowed that part of the story down to include a few more details about what actually occurred, there would have been more suspense. It's possible, though, that the author wanted to keep the story more easy-going as well as keeping the length to a minimum. Since answers are forthcoming in the epilogue, this was only a minor flaw that didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the novel.

In summary, I enjoyed reading this book. It's a lighter read that would be suitable for a weekend beach trip or a rainy day by the fire. With the only issue being minor, I rate E M P Honeymoon 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to those that enjoy a quick, light-hearted action story. If you're looking for more of a suspenseful thriller, this might not be the one for you.

E M P Honeymoon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I know exactly what you mean by the fast pace - it's almost like the book needs to take a breath.
This sounds exciting though - thanks for the great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This sounds like a fun story, though I agree that the pacing could have been modulated to make events more suspenseful. Thanks so much for the recommendation!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for this enthralling review. I like reading books packed with action, and this one fits perfectly in that category. I am glad that the shifts in points-of-view are made in a way that does not bring in confusion.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bianka Walter wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 03:49 I know exactly what you mean by the fast pace - it's almost like the book needs to take a breath.
This sounds exciting though - thanks for the great review :)
Yes! A few more descriptions and "breaths" here and there would be helpful. But it was a minor issue. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

inaramid wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 04:29 This sounds like a fun story, though I agree that the pacing could have been modulated to make events more suspenseful. Thanks so much for the recommendation!
It was fun. It's just more light-hearted than suspenseful. I think the author purposefully does that, though. It's worth noting, as not everyone enjoys such a novel. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kibetious wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 04:42 Thanks for this enthralling review. I like reading books packed with action, and this one fits perfectly in that category. I am glad that the shifts in points-of-view are made in a way that does not bring in confusion.
I've read point of view shifts that are confusing, but the author does these well. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I am interested in how the cover fits in with the story. It seems to be an outer space cover, but the honeymoon is in Honduras. I enjoyed reading your review! Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I love books that are action-packed and so I will love to read E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer because it sounds interesting. I want find out how Kelly and Tom Turbulo went about figuring out what the terrorists group was up to before they try to stop whatever sinister plot they had planned. Great review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Letora wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 09:19 I am interested in how the cover fits in with the story. It seems to be an outer space cover, but the honeymoon is in Honduras. I enjoyed reading your review! Thank you for reviewing!
Well, I don't want to give anything away, but it does kind of fit within the story. :) Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kister Bless wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 09:25 I love books that are action-packed and so I will love to read E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer because it sounds interesting. I want find out how Kelly and Tom Turbulo went about figuring out what the terrorists group was up to before they try to stop whatever sinister plot they had planned. Great review.
If you manage to find the time to read it, I do hope you'll enjoy it. It's an interesting story.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I do enjoy fast-paced novels that have some humor in them. I also am curious as to how the picture on the cover fits the story. Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Prisallen wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 11:06 I do enjoy fast-paced novels that have some humor in them. I also am curious as to how the picture on the cover fits the story. Great review!
It's an interesting aspect of the story that comes into play kind of near the end. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I can't imagine coming across terrorists on my honeymoon! I've read another book by this author and really enjoyed it (June book of the book) so should like I should read this one next! Thank you for the review.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

Wow! Exciting plot! Running into terrorism during a honeymoon! It's great that they manage to face it in good spirit. Marvelous review. I really enjoyed reading it.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”