Official Review: A Dream to Die For by Susan Z. Ritz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Official Review: A Dream to Die For by Susan Z. Ritz

Post by inaramid »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Dream to Die For" by Susan Z. Ritz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A seemingly luckless woman is at the heart of Susan Ritz’s debut mystery, A Dream to Die For. Celeste Fortune (wryly referred to as “Miss Fortune”) just wants to get her life together. She wants nothing more to do with Larry Blatsky, her sleazebag of a therapist who’d kept her shackled to dream therapy for nearly four years. She wants out of Dreamland, Larry’s tightly knit (and increasingly cultish) community of clients who call themselves the Dreamers. She wants to get her fiancé, Jake Kelly, back.

But then Celeste has a strange dream: A woman stands in a kitchen while a sinister shadow creeps from behind and proceeds to strangle her. She turns to Larry for a possible interpretation, but he lashes out instead in rage and fear. Hours later, Larry is murdered in his office, and by some stroke of misfortune, it’s Celeste who finds the body. As her life devolves into a whirlwind of police interrogations, hostile encounters with grief-stricken Dreamers, and repeated attempts on her life, Celeste finds a welcome ally in Gloria Cross, an estranged friend who was once a Dreamer herself.

A perplexing crime, a rural setting, a cast of quirky characters, and a reluctant amateur sleuth are staples of the cozy mystery genre, and everything comes alive at the tip of Ritz’s pen. The puzzle of Larry’s death drives the plot forward, and Ritz cleverly roots the answer in the tangled web of the character’s relationships, both personal and professional, past and present. In any other location, several plot points may seem like too much of a coincidence, but the small town of Riverton Falls renders everything plausible, the claustrophobic atmosphere providing the perfect set-up for the mystery to unfold. Many characters of interest populate the town, several of whom are not exactly who they seem. It’s easy to empathize with Celeste’s confusion and frustration as even those closest to her — Jake and Gloria, for instance — know more than they’re letting on. The truth behind Larry’s fixation with dreams leads to a fascinating twist where the lines between mysticism and technology are blurred.

And yet well-executed as they are, A Dream to Die For is more than just the sum of these parts. Even as Ritz keeps the tone light and amusing, there are powerful messages that ring through the story. Celeste’s involvement with Larry and the Dreamers is a cautionary tale of sorts, and though the psychology is frightening, Ritz depicts cult behavior with neither judgment nor condemnation. Everyone here is flawed, especially Celeste herself, and Ritz allows the readers to make up their own minds about the characters — hero, villain, or otherwise. The theme of loving who you are is also a beautiful takeaway from the story. “We all have crazy reasons and rioting pathologies to struggle with,” Gloria tells Celeste. “We need to recognize them and love them as part of the bigger picture of who we are.”

I rate A Dream to Die For 3 out of 4 stars. Though there are no wasted moments in the narrative, Celeste’s story moves at a rather deliberate pace. There is some repetition of facts (e.g., how a character died), and there are minor typographical errors (e.g., missing quotation marks) scattered throughout the pages. Nevertheless, A Dream to Die For is a memorable mystery that avid whodunnit readers can sink their teeth into. Anyone interested in dream therapy will also find the book enlightening (Ritz really did her research well in this regard), and those who like empowered female characters will find many to root for in this story.

Moderator's Note: The reviewer of this book read an ARC. Prior to publication, the book was edited to fix the minor typographical issues mentioned by the reviewer.
A Dream to Die For
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like inaramid's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds completely captivating. I love the protagonist's title - Miss Fortune. I'm curious about these Dreamers and how Celeste's dream "came true". It seems like one I'll have to put on my list. Thanks for the recommendation.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Intriguing story line. I'm curious to know more about the dreamer's cult. Wonderful review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds so entertaining and scary. This dreamworld is troubling to hear about and I wonder if her dream had any connection with the the murder of the therapist? Thanks for the engaging review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a riveting plot line. I always love when mysteries provide insight into psychology or something else so you come out more knowledgeable than when you went in, so I'm glad the author did her research into dream therapy. Great review!
phills
Currently Reading: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by phills »

A Dream to Die For" by Susan Z. Ritz
Actually am not really pleased with the content because from the topic and the narrative contents seems to differ to my own expectations
But I think the novel is interesting and nice the characters and the sequence is nothing to write home
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The idea of finding meaning in our dreams, and even therapists that interpret our dreams, intrigues many. I like how you describe how the author developed the characters in the story. Interesting review! Thanks.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It's interesting that you called this amusing because I was kind of creeped out while reading the description. With that being said, dream interpretation and a small town makes this something I'm interested in reading. Thank you.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I love a good murder mystery! And what an original idea to have a therapist with a cult following called the dreamers. Sounds like a plot along the lines of Gillian Flynn :)
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Seems like an interesting mystery. Great review!
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

kandscreeley wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 08:27 This sounds completely captivating. I love the protagonist's title - Miss Fortune. I'm curious about these Dreamers and how Celeste's dream "came true". It seems like one I'll have to put on my list. Thanks for the recommendation.
Great wordplay, for sure. Thanks for dropping by! :)

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 11:02 This sounds so entertaining and scary. This dreamworld is troubling to hear about and I wonder if her dream had any connection with the the murder of the therapist? Thanks for the engaging review!
Entertaining + Scary is a good way to put it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

unamilagra wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 15:12 This sounds like a riveting plot line. I always love when mysteries provide insight into psychology or something else so you come out more knowledgeable than when you went in, so I'm glad the author did her research into dream therapy. Great review!
It was a unique element, for sure, and the author used the information very well. All other aspects - the bartending work, lawyering in a small town, etc. - were also well-researched.

phills wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 15:25 A Dream to Die For" by Susan Z. Ritz
Actually am not really pleased with the content because from the topic and the narrative contents seems to differ to my own expectations
But I think the novel is interesting and nice the characters and the sequence is nothing to write home
Thanks for dropping by! The book did take an unexpected twist, didn't it? :)
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

kdstrack wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 17:29 The idea of finding meaning in our dreams, and even therapists that interpret our dreams, intrigues many. I like how you describe how the author developed the characters in the story. Interesting review! Thanks.
I think the depiction of dream therapy was quite accurate, and I give the author props for researching the details. Thanks for dropping by!

Nisha Ward wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 19:47 It's interesting that you called this amusing because I was kind of creeped out while reading the description. With that being said, dream interpretation and a small town makes this something I'm interested in reading. Thank you.
Thanks for commenting!
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Helene_2008 wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 20:45 I love a good murder mystery! And what an original idea to have a therapist with a cult following called the dreamers. Sounds like a plot along the lines of Gillian Flynn :)
It is something I haven't read before. Thanks for dropping by!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This sounds interesting. I wonder what the dream had in connection with the murder. Thanks for the enthralling review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”