Review by TuyetMai -- The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern R...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Review by TuyetMai -- The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern R...

Post by Mai Tran »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance" by Morris Rollins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Once the masters of the universe, men find themselves at a disadvantage when civilization tips the scales in favor of the weaker sex. Girls run the world now, and men are bound to follow the rules, also known as social etiquette and moral codes. No longer able to have their ways with women whenever they want, men are not much better than eunuchs (the author’s words, not mine). Fear not, though, for Morris Rollins is here to help them adapt to the new world order and master the chauvinist’s ways to dating.

In his book, The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance, Rollins offers his (overly simplified and stereotypical) understanding of men and women, starting from the very beginning in Eden to modern times. Men are shown how to recognize their personal styles and increase their appeal, whether they are the tough guys, sharp guys, smooth guys, or cavemen. Rollins also provides a detailed breakdown of different types of women, such as nice girls, bad girls, older women, blondes, and femme nazis, completed with tips and advice on how to interact with them. (Satisfaction not guaranteed.)

When I saw this comic dating guide for men, I had to read it out of pure curiosity. The book has a satirical tone and quite a few bold statements that could be offensive when taken in a more serious context. Take this one, for example, “In a way, most women want to be ruled by the right man.” It’s no wonder that the author chose to publish this book under a pen name to avoid the wrath of femme nazis and cavemen.

While I was a little taken aback at the gender stereotypes and generalizations, I did manage to enjoy this book to some extent. It is smartly written and professionally edited. All sections are organized in a logical order and illustrated with eye-catching pictures and graphs. The ones depicting the differences between male and female priorities in life cracked me up. For some reason, however, these images would occasionally shift around when I went back to a previous page on my Kindle app, making it difficult to return to my latest reading position.

This short dating guide, written from the male chauvinist point of view, is meant to be a funny take on romance. Unfortunately, I couldn’t fully enjoy it because I felt it was pushing the limits with some statements. Therefore, I give it 3 out of 4 stars. I’d only recommend The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance to mature readers who enjoy satire due to the sensitive nature of the topic. Potential readers should check out the sample before committing to purchase the book because their enjoyment of it depends on where they draw the line between fun and offensive. I definitely wouldn’t recommend it to someone who won’t tolerate any misogyny even if it’s for humor.

The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like TuyetMai's review? Post a comment saying so!
"To achieve something that you have never achieved before, you must become someone that you have never been before." (Les Brown)
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Part of me wants to check it out so I probably will take a look at the sample. It does sounds like he may push the limits a little too far sometimes, though. Thank you for a wonderful review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author presents this in a humorous way, but it seems that it is something very important to men. Humor evokes emotions and helps readers to remember the material. I enjoyed the way you described the author's writing style. This is an interesting review. Great writing!
nana7613
Favorite Book: The Cat in the Hat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nana7613.html
Latest Review: A Life Naive by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by nana7613 »

Sounds like a book I would enjoy. Thanks for your review.
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

The ability to understand the romantic language of the opposite sex is key to building a relationship with them. This is a nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”