Official Review: New York Linked Up Part 1 Manhattan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: New York Linked Up Part 1 Manhattan

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "New York Linked Up Part 1 Manhattan" by Colleen Katz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wanted to take a tour of the famous sites in America, such as the One World Trade Center, the Empire State Building, or the Statue of Liberty? You will find these amazing sites and much more in New York City’s Manhattan. The title of New York Linked Up Part 1: Manhattan 2019: Your Forever Travel Guide on Your Phone by Colleen Katz truly captures what this book is all about. The author links the readers not only to websites of the places of Manhattan but also gives useful tips, explanations, and descriptions to help visitors feel less intimidated by the big city.

The book begins with a “Manhattan Trivia Quiz” of 23 questions, in which I failed miserably. However, after reading the book, I now know all of the answers! The guide gives so many interesting facts and information about freebies, famous sites, and fun things to do while visiting Manhattan.

I really enjoyed learning many things about Manhattan. I especially liked the chapter and information about Central Park. I was surprised that there was so much to see and do in this 843-acre (60-block) park. I found out things about the Ramble, a castle, gardens, Cleopatra’s Needle, a recreation center, and much more. If I only had a few days in New York City, I would definitely spend at least one day in this amazing park.

I liked how the author explained Manhattan’s division of three major neighborhoods of Uptown, Midtown, and Downtown. She also included the street and avenue names that divide the city into sections. For example, 59th Street marks the beginning of Uptown, and 5th Avenue divides the west from the east. This helped me understand the layout of Manhattan and would make it easier to get around. However, I think that a bit more information about Manhattan being the heart of New York City and just one of the five districts (boroughs) that make up the city, would have been beneficial for non-New Yorkers to know.

I disliked that much of the information was repeated throughout the book, making the book seem longer than necessary. For example, the blessing of animals at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine was described in detail at least six different times under different headings of “Freebies,” “Where to Take the Kids,” “Very NY Things to do,” etc. The use of hyperlinks would be beneficial when information of places was repeated.

I rate New York Linked Up Part 1: Manhattan 2019 by Colleen Katz 3 out of 4 stars. The repeated information, errors found, and some formatting problems reflect a need for another editing. This requires me to take at least one star away from what otherwise would be a perfect rating. The valuable insights, interesting information, and useful tips make me want to give a three and not a two-star rating.

I would recommend this book to anyone planning to visit Manhattan or to live there. The book is worth getting to find out many of Manhattan’s secret/hidden places, to be aware of travel safety, and to know about all of the free admissions to scores of museums, shows, movies, and art galleries. The author really did not leave much out of this book for visitors of Manhattan; they definitely will be “linked up” to Manhattan.

New York Linked Up Part 1 Manhattan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

The problem for books on any of the world's major cities is that the competition to grab the readers' attention is fierce. Not only is there a whole library of printed material on New York / London / Paris, etc, but there is also the internet. Nevertheless, I might give this one a chance, as NY is definitely a place I want to see again. Thanks for a great review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This would be an excellent guide for anyone touring Manhattan. The author has thoughtfully included points of interest and how to get in free to many different places. I'm guessing the information would have to be updated frequently. Thanks for reviewing this book!
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

If this is guidebook of New York then the information should be repeated because most people don't read the entire book but just parts. That's how I use guides. I only goto what I'm trying to find and read that section. I don't read all the sections and that information would be missing.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've visited a few of those sites, but I would love to go back to NY and spend some more time there. This sounds like a pretty good guide to the city. Thanks for introducing it to us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

This sounds like a great book for me as I'm visiting NYC this weekend! Makes me wonder how I would do on the Manhattan trivia quiz. My brother lives there so I could always use his help :)
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

:lol: I totally love to travel and this book is really intriguing and interesting to read.
Thank you for the review though, I loved it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”