Official Review: Beyond Petra by Mohamed Abueljebain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Official Review: Beyond Petra by Mohamed Abueljebain

Post by kdstrack »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 00:50 Oh, sad to hear that a good book couldn't achieve the desired rating. I think the author would have given a good account of illegal immigration as he himself went through it. Plus, the readers can get much information about the hardships these immigrants have to face to fulfill their dreams. Thanks for this honest review!
It is an interesting book. It always disappoints me when the errors bring down the score since that is something that could be easily avoided. Thanks for commenting!
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

This is an intriguing tale. I think it would be an interesting read. It's too bad about the time jumps and the errors. But, I think I'd like to read it. So, thanks for your thoughtful review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 08:06 This is an intriguing tale. I think it would be an interesting read. It's too bad about the time jumps and the errors. But, I think I'd like to read it. So, thanks for your thoughtful review.
There are a few weaknesses in the book, but I think you will enjoy the story and the experiences as related by the author. Hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Given the current turmoils surrounding immigration in the United States, this one definitely piqued my interest. Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Letora wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 14:35 Given the current turmoils surrounding immigration in the United States, this one definitely piqued my interest. Thank you for reviewing!
It does speak to the current immigration situation. I hope you will enjoy it. Thanks for commenting!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I hope the author gets an editor - this sounds like a book with great promise. Unexplained time jumps can be distracting to the point of nonsensical, so I also hope he takes your advice to heart. Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Bianka Walter wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 05:39 I hope the author gets an editor - this sounds like a book with great promise. Unexplained time jumps can be distracting to the point of nonsensical, so I also hope he takes your advice to heart. Great review!
Thanks so much for your comments. They are appreciated!
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

With immigration being such an important and relevant topic, I'm glad to see this book addresses this difficult topic. However, with the distracting errors and jumps from past to present, I'm not sure I'll be reading this. Perhaps if it got another round of editing I'd like to give it a go. Thanks for the recommendation!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

danielleamy wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 17:46 With immigration being such an important and relevant topic, I'm glad to see this book addresses this difficult topic. However, with the distracting errors and jumps from past to present, I'm not sure I'll be reading this. Perhaps if it got another round of editing I'd like to give it a go. Thanks for the recommendation!
I found it to be interesting and enlightening. Thanks for commenting!
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I can only imagine what an immigrant feels like and I have often thought it would be more challenging than we can ever think of. The feeling of being a stranger among strangers and being constantly homesick is not something that I can fathom, but I respect those who overcome all these challenges and still succeed in a new place. Except for the time jumps, I think this is a book I would enjoy reading!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Often, I see a lot of people questioning the motives of illegal immigrants, blaming them for the things that happen to them when they make the journey. I think this would go a long way to understanding why people undertake such a journey and their resilience in doing so. Unfortunately, the editing and unclear time jumps bar me from reading it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Samy Lax wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 00:05 I can only imagine what an immigrant feels like and I have often thought it would be more challenging than we can ever think of. The feeling of being a stranger among strangers and being constantly homesick is not something that I can fathom, but I respect those who overcome all these challenges and still succeed in a new place. Except for the time jumps, I think this is a book I would enjoy reading!
It is a choice that many make without understanding what they are confronting. I hope you enjoy this story. Thanks so much for stopping by!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The premise sounds good, but it also sounds like it would be a confusing read in its current state. I hope the author takes your suggestions into consideration. Thanks for this review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This sounds interesting and quite educational. It reminds of a documentary I watched on how illegal immigrants face both human and non-human threats as they move to their 'promised land'. Thanks for the review. I hope the author will consider editing the book again.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kibetious wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 05:02 This sounds interesting and quite educational. It reminds of a documentary I watched on how illegal immigrants face both human and non-human threats as they move to their 'promised land'. Thanks for the review. I hope the author will consider editing the book again.
There are many similarities, although, each immigrant will have their own unique experience. Thanks so much for commenting! It is much appreciated.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”