Official Review: Taps by George M. Motz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Taps by George M. Motz

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Taps" by George M. Motz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in Charleston, South Carolina in the mid-1960s, TAPS: The Silent Victims of the Vietnam War--The Families Left Behind by George M. Motz, chronicles the author's experiences as a Casualty Notification and Survivors Assistance Officer for the U.S. Army. Tasked with the daunting job of in-person family notifications, Motz discusses the impact of the Vietnam War as it relates to Southern black families, set against the racial tension of the sixties. Regarding how this assignment shaped his life, he writes, "More importantly, once mastered, it would have an all-encompassing impact on my post-military life, heavily influencing my career choices, parenting style, and my overall philosophy on interpersonal relationships."

It's a pleasure to discover a book that exceeds my expectations; in this case, the synopsis doesn't do it justice. Motz's writing style is eloquent and engaging. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I was surprised to learn that this is his debut book. Written in the first-person narrative, the 209-page book is organized, professionally edited, and includes a collection of nostalgic photographs.

I particularly liked the perspective from which Motz wrote. As a young Army officer raised in the suburbs of New York, his assignment in Charleston, during a time of unrest in our country due to the Vietnam War and the fight for racial equality gave him a unique voice. Motz masterfully illustrated the prejudice he witnessed through stories involving both his professional and personal life. For instance, he recounted receiving orders to attend a local Ku Klux Klan meeting, under the guise as a new recruit, to determine their potential threat to the community and remembered recoiling at their racist remarks. On a different occasion, he was met at the door by his date's mother, who turned him away because he was a Catholic "Yankee boy" rather than a Southern Baptist. Not used to this type of reaction from the mothers of the girls he dated, Motz was devastated, but in hindsight, noted, "...that rejection pales in comparison with the levels of prejudice experienced regularly by most minorities to this day."

Since there isn't anything I dislike about the book, I will note a few interesting highlights. In light of this year's award-winning movie by the same name, I was intrigued to learn more about the history of the Green Book. After a new black officer arrives for duty at the Charleston Depot, Motz is surprised to see the backseat of his car full of gas cans. He learns that the duty officer brought the gas after consulting the driving guide, which suggested that some Southern gas stations might not serve him. In another point of interest, Life Magazine's story depicting "...the reality of war, namely the toll it was taking on the families of the soldiers," included one of Motz's Survivors Assistance cases and featured a photo of him presenting the ceremonial folded flag to the family at the military memorial service.

There is a lot to like about this book, and I wholeheartedly rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It will appeal to fans of memoirs and readers who enjoy books about civil rights and the Vietnam War.

Taps
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I don't have a lot of knowledge regarding the Vietnam War, but I do love memoirs! So maybe I will give this one a chance. Thanks for the review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 11:25 I don't have a lot of knowledge regarding the Vietnam War, but I do love memoirs! So maybe I will give this one a chance. Thanks for the review!
This is not a typical war memoir, but I think you'll enjoy it.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Good to see a book with some back stories of the Vietnam war. Thanks for the wonderful review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Casualty Notification and Survivors Assistance Officer - This has to be one of the hardest jobs in the Army - even worse when there is a war that produces so many casualties. This sounds like a fascinating, informative book written from a distinctive perspective. I would be interested in reading Motz's book and seeing the photographs he has included in the book. Great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Wyland wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 05:43 Good to see a book with some back stories of the Vietnam war. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 17:20 Casualty Notification and Survivors Assistance Officer - This has to be one of the hardest jobs in the Army - even worse when there is a war that produces so many casualties. This sounds like a fascinating, informative book written from a distinctive perspective. I would be interested in reading Motz's book and seeing the photographs he has included in the book. Great review!
Absolutely. Thanks for your comment.
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

An excellent book to read.It is a pleasure to discover a book that exceeds my expectations as well and amazingly written.
Thank you for the wonderful review :lol:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Kyoks wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 04:11 An excellent book to read.It is a pleasure to discover a book that exceeds my expectations as well and amazingly written.
Thank you for the wonderful review :lol:
Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”