Review by hsimone -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Review by hsimone -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Four Funny Potatoes!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are four potatoes who sleep during the day and love to perform at night. Their names are Arnie, Jimmy, Marvin, and Benny. Oh wait. What’s that, Benny? You’re not a potato? You’re a banana? Hopefully, Benny’s voice can be heard in the humorous children’s book, Four Funny Potatoes by Len Foley!

There were so many aspects I enjoyed while reading. For one, the illustrations were a mixture of actual fruit and drawn-in cartoon features, which many children are sure to enjoy. Using a white background along with the pages’ bright colors can very eye-appealing, but at the same time the almost discombobulated structure of the illustrations might be overwhelming for some children. The varying types of food seem to be thrown in and falling all over the pages, which gives a chaotic feeling.

Another aspect that made this book fun was its rhyming phrases. It makes the read more enjoyable and peppy. However, I did notice some inconsistencies with the use of quotation marks. When the food friends were singing, quotation marks were included, but while the food friends were speaking, no quotation marks were used. It is unclear why this is the case, so perhaps looking over the dialogue may be beneficial.

Themes of celebrating yourself and working together as a team were woven into the story. Lines of “I have my own shape, my own thoughts, my own mind. I am proud to be a banana.” (Page 17) and “We all sing best when we’re singing as a team!” (Page 22) were used great in the story. By including these lines, the author has given adults the chance to open discussion about these themes with their children.

On the other hand, the ending is somewhat disturbing. I can easily see some children finding it hilarious while others may be upset. Therefore, I would caution adults to preview the story prior to reading it with their children just in case it would be upsetting.

Even with its inconsistency of quotation marks and its ending, I found Four Funny Potatoes to be humorous and a real treat. Therefore, I give this happy illustrated book a 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it for adults to read with their children between the ages three and six years old, as long as the ending isn’t too unsettling for them.

Four Funny Potatoes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This seems like a charming book for children, especially with the humor and the rhyming phrases, which they enjoy. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I read this book for review as well and completely agree with you about the ending. If I had to choose my least favorite part, that would be it. I totally missed the quotation mark problem, good catch! Great review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Elphie
Currently Reading: Toward Happier Choices
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elphie.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by Elphie »

Nice, rounded and impressively optimistic and positive review. I read the book today, twice actually because it is so short and obviously as a children's books it is a very light read I would add. Therefore I don't want to spoil my review, which I will post tomorrow. Good job!
Robynd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robynd.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Robynd »

I enjoyed this book as well. Read it to my grandsons, 3 and 8, who were not disturbed in the least by the ending. Missed the quotation mark issue, as well.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”