Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
THarveyReadALot
Currently Reading: Special Deliveries
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Post by THarveyReadALot »

reply to reneelu1998, and note to others,
I don't 'just believe' the Bible. It has been proven. I'm pretty sure there are more manuscripts for the Bible than other ancient works. The Gnostic Gospels aren't true. It's that simple.

Check out: https://carm.org/manuscript-evidence for a chart of info on old Manuscripts. I'm a Christian who believes the Holy Scriptures, but as 1 Peter 3:15 says, we should explain our faith and give an explanation and defense of it, with gentleness and respect. I'm trying to give help respectfully and kindly.
Sincerely,
Theresa Harvey
THarveyReadALot
THarveyReadALot

Jlrinc,
Why are we talking about life expectancy? Many people can and do live past that. And the Apostle John, who I think was Jesus' youngest disciple, was the only disciple thought to have died a natural death. The Gospels were written soon after the events they recorded. See my aforementioned website in my previous comment.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

Nerea wrote: 04 May 2019, 01:18 No disrespect, but the author did touch on a sensitive aspect of Christian faith. Trying to give some credit to what Judas did sounds distorting. As a Christian I find this book to be a threat to my faith. I just read the review of the book and I don't like everything about the book. The author should redo the research on this matter again and bring something that will develop a common ground with everyone. I don't think I'll rate the book.
Please try reading it. Then comment. I want to hear what you think then.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

"For the Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born.” Mark 14:21

Overall all I can say.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

[bn=][/bn]
AntonelaMaria wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 10:38 "For the Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born.” Mark 14:21

Overall all I can say.
Thanks for quoting Mark. There is so much to unpack here. First of all, 'betrayed' is a total mistranslation. It should read 'handed over' or 'delivered.' John 19:2, I think, is similar but with handed over. This was intentional misinformation. The author is trying to hide real dialogue with overwriting. It is widespread in the Gospels and consistent. The speaker is saying he would be better off not contacting the Spirit, as his lower, or old, self is going to die. It is a very spiritual teaching. See Scienceofthesoul.org for more
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

allbooked+ wrote: 02 May 2019, 08:15 I am not sure this book is for me but I will give it a try. I wish that the sample was more than reviews of the authors work - although I was surprised that they were critical at points - so that we could get a better flavor for the authors writing. Also, it is pointed out that the author 'wants us to read the Gospel of Judas without a New Testament bias'. That should not mean that you can't take the New Testament into account. I feel that a true study of any of the books should take into account all of the books, otherwise you will have tunnel vision and the full picture will not present itself.
But not in this case. The New Testament is a rewrite of the gnostic mastership succession narrative. The Betrayal never happened.
jlrinc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlrinc.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jlrinc »

THarveyReadALot wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 22:18 Jlrinc,
Why are we talking about life expectancy? Many people can and do live past that. And the Apostle John, who I think was Jesus' youngest disciple, was the only disciple thought to have died a natural death. The Gospels were written soon after the events they recorded. See my aforementioned website in my previous comment.
The author made a claim that the life expectancy in jesus's times was 40. That is just not correct and I was surprised that someone who had written a book about the earl Christians wouldn't know this
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

jlrinc wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 04:24
THarveyReadALot wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 22:18 Jlrinc,
The author made a claim that the life expectancy in jesus's times was 40. That is just not correct and I was surprised that someone who had written a book about the earl Christians wouldn't know this
I still doubt it was commonly much longer. What does it matter, though? The point is, no eyewitnesses recorded anything about a life of Jesus Christ. He is not present in any HISTORICAL account. The Gospels are NOT history. They are literature, and literature with a mission, or purpose, and that is to disinform people. If you fell for the Gospel authors' account of spiritual enlightenment as dependent on the death sacrifice of a savior, you will never find true salvation in the now. The past is GONE. Leave the dead to bury the dead.
THarveyReadALot

Whoever,
I don't 'just believe' the Bible. It has been proven. I'm pretty sure there are more manuscripts for the Bible than other ancient works. The Gnostic Gospels aren't true. It's that simple.
Check out: https://carm.org/manuscript-evidence for a chart of info on old Manuscripts.
Sincerely,
Theresa Harvey
THarveyReadALot

P.S. I didn't finish the book.
Frisca
Favorite Book: Betrayal of Faith
Currently Reading: Quiet Mind Epic Life
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Frisca »

I'm sorry but the book, for me, was not interesting at all. I tried reading it three or four times and I just couldn't get into it. I am not even sure what they are trying to imply. Is there a message? A revelation? Anything that might interest those who have no clue who Judas is? The way it is written has no order as he gets into other gospels that a lot people do not know. I think if the author had introduced where he gathered his in information and then explained his reason to believe his claim maybe one who has no knowledge of what he writes about would at least try to follow. People are too quick to make a movement with no order and for no reason others follow. Not that I hadn't heard their claim before, I have yet to be convinced of where they come up with absurd claims.
jlrinc
Currently Reading:

Post by jlrinc »

Sahansdal wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 09:29
jlrinc wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 06:12
Sahansdal wrote: 10 May 2019, 22:54
You are evidently not aware that the consensus view now is that none of the Gospels were written by eyewitnesses. It would not be likely in any event, because life-expectancy in those days was something like 40 years. So they would have to have been little kids following Jesus around. Kids fluent and literate in excellent Greek, which is even less likely.
No, the life expectancy those days. Was not 40 years.. The average life expectancy was 40 years. What's the difference? The average life expectancy includes the high prevalence of children who died before turning 5. This brings the average life expectancy way down because children had a high likelihood of dying of diseases before antibiotics and vaccines were available. The truth is that if you made it to18 your life expectancy was about the same as it is now, high 70s and probably hasn't changed much in 15000 years. This 40 year old thing is a pernicious myth.How long did they expect to live on biblical times? There is a verse in psalms that says the number of the days of a mans life is 70 years and if by reason of strength what boast is there of that? So they expected to live to be about seventy or eighty. The gerousia of Athens at about the same time was a council of elders who were at least 60 to be eligible so they had about the same life expectancy. And modern archeological evidence points to the same.
Itinerant fishermen didn't speak (or write!) the kind of classic Greek that the Gospel authors used. They were master wordsmiths, not experts with nets. No one knows who wrote the Gospels, all of them, even gnostic.
The gospels were not written in classical Greek, they were written in koine Greek. This was the Greek used by everyday people everywhere Alexander the great had conquered. The fisherman almost certainly knew it as it made made communicating much easier but they almost certainly couldn't read or write. In fact the finest Greek written in the new testament occurs in the epistle of James.
jlrinc
Currently Reading:

Post by jlrinc »

The disciples were not itinerant fishermen. The word itinerant means wandering the disciples were not wandering fishermen they fished the Galilean sea. Itinerant fisherman would have been wealthy men who could afford a boat that would have been docked in the Mediterranean sea. Almost everybody in that area spoke at least a little koine Greek the language of the gospels because it was the language that merchants used . koine means common because is it is not the classical Greek of homer and Plato but a much simplified form used for buying and selling and spread everywhere Alexander conquered.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Frisca wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 00:59 I'm sorry but the book, for me, was not interesting at all. I tried reading it three or four times and I just couldn't get into it. I am not even sure what they are trying to imply. Is there a message? A revelation? Anything that might interest those who have no clue who Judas is? The way it is written has no order as he gets into other gospels that a lot people do not know. I think if the author had introduced where he gathered his in information and then explained his reason to believe his claim maybe one who has no knowledge of what he writes about would at least try to follow. People are too quick to make a movement with no order and for no reason others follow. Not that I hadn't heard their claim before, I have yet to be convinced of where they come up with absurd claims.
And these comments somehow do not apply to the NT Gospels? Why do they always get a pass as genuine history, when none of these sources even try to be? Including the gnostic ones! This is literature, not history.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Sahansdal wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 11:58
jlrinc wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 04:10 The disciples were not itinerant fishermen. The word itinerant means wandering the disciples were not wandering fishermen they fished the Galilean sea. Itinerant fisherman would have been wealthy men who could afford a boat that would have been docked in the Mediterranean sea. Almost everybody in that area spoke at least a little koine Greek the language of the gospels because it was the language that merchants used . koine means common because is it is not the classical Greek of homer and Plato but a much simplified form used for buying and selling and spread everywhere Alexander conquered.
So what does that change? These are invented characters, maybe based on real people, but they didn't write the Gospels.
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

While there have been many who have questioned whether Judas was destined to be the one to betray Jesus and whether there was anything he could have done to prevent it. This book gives us a fresh perspective on the issue.As a person who actively practices the Christian faith, i have always believed that what Judas did was meant to happen for Jesus to die and for us to receive our redemption.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”