Official Review: Camouflage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Official Review: Camouflage

Post by Acwoolet »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Camouflage" by Ivy Keating and Scott Spotson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If mysteries, nature, chaos, and deadly prehistoric creatures are your thing; then Camouflage by Ivy Keating and Scott Spotson is the book for you. A missing persons case, a budding romance, and a leap into a terrifying secret world are what you will find when you delve into the intriguing world of Camouflage. Prepare yourself for a chilling, edge of your seat adventure that will take you deep into the forest and into the face of a prehistoric creature unknown to mankind.

When the local high school coach goes missing, newly hired police chief, Sean Dermott is lead deep into the picturesque nature preserve. While no sign of the missing coach appears, something else much more horrific emerges, leaving deadly wreckage in its wake. A creature so prehistoric that only its skeleton has been seen before, threatens the lives of the people in the nature preserve and of the sleepy little town that surrounds it. When a budding romance with the woman who had reported the disappearance, causes Sean to become even more determined to solve the case, he is lead deeper into the woods right into the lair of the creature.

I enjoyed reading this book very much, and was able to finish it in a couple sittings. The main characters had a full back story, so that I could enjoy their growth throughout the novel. The dialogue was rich, giving even more life to the characters. I also enjoyed the secondary characters, especially the scientists that assisted in the discovery of the creature. They were both funny and intelligent, lending a more well-rounded narrative. The action scenes were fantastic and the science aspect an added bonus. The setting was beautifully described, making me feel as if I were wandering the woods with Sean and the other people searching for the creature. The novel had the feel of a professionally edited book, which definitely aided in my enjoyment of it.

There was very little about this book that I didn’t enjoy. Probably the main thing that I didn’t care for that much would be the romance between Sean and Vanessa, the woman who reported the missing coach. I felt as if it had been a little rushed, and would have liked to read a little bit more about their chemistry. I feel as if they met and then jumped into a full fledged relationship with in a matter of days. While it was quite rushed, I did enjoy that aspect of the book as well, I just wish there had been more of it.

I give Camouflage a 4 out of 4 stars. The dialogue and characters were fantastic, the horror of the unknown just enough to keep me on the edge of my seat, and a picturesque setting allow for a wonderful book. I would definitely recommend this book for sci-fi lovers, and anyone looking for a book with some fun hidden twists.

Camouflage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

This sounds like an awesome adventure book. I look forward to reading it. Great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I am a huge fan of character-driven books and it is nice that the reader is able to see the character's growth. Thanks for the fabulous review!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Yeah I would want to read something historic, so I guess I would go for this book. Thanks for the review.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

This book sounds perfect for me! I love the Jurassic Park stuff because humans just never have a great reaction when they encounter a living prehistoric animal. Your review left me wondering what exactly these guys are dealing with. Thank you for the great review. I'll definitely be adding this one to my "want to read" shelf!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I loved your summary of the book! I want to read this one now! It almost sounds like an episode of Supernatural :) Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Devika menon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devika-menon.html
Latest Review: Peppermint Mocha Murder by Pam Moll

Post by Devika menon »

The book sounds amazing! Thank you so much for the review. It makes me want to definitely read the book.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Why does this remind me of Swamp Thing even though I've read neither of these things? Either way, I'm here for it. Thanks!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Eclecticmama wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 20:31 This book sounds perfect for me! I love the Jurassic Park stuff because humans just never have a great reaction when they encounter a living prehistoric animal. Your review left me wondering what exactly these guys are dealing with. Thank you for the great review. I'll definitely be adding this one to my "want to read" shelf!
t really looks like a Jurassic Park.
I wonder if this prehistoric creature was a dinosaur too?
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

Great Review! Adding this one to my TBR pile for sure! :D
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

I love stories that come with a twist! It's always a let down when everything you anticipate happens. Great review!
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”