Official Review: SNEAKY The Hairy Mountain Monster Goes t...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Official Review: SNEAKY The Hairy Mountain Monster Goes t...

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "SNEAKY The Hairy Mountain Monster Goes to the Bahamas" by Norma Fleagane.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever signed up for a training or workshop with no clue as to what you will be doing there? If so, you may be able to identify with Sneaky the Hairy Mountain Monster.

Sneaky the Hairy Mountain Monster Goes to the Bahamas to the First Ever Monster Convention, by Norma Fleagane, is the fourth book in the Sneaky series. While characters from previous books are used and past events are briefly referenced, it is a stand-alone book for young children. Sneaky has never been to the Bahamas before, and he doesn’t know what a convention is, but he is eager to experience them both. Meanwhile, Blake James discovers his grandfather is the keynote speaker for the convention and agrees to tag along. We follow Sneaky and his monster peers as they explore the Bahamas, and then brainstorm ways they can better blend in with their communities to help people be less afraid of them.

There are many things to enjoy in this tale. Cute, quirky, colorful pictures capture the reader’s attention. I also liked that the language and the plot were simple and straight-forward. Young children would have no problem understanding this story as it is being read to them. Higher-level words had plenty of context clues to help the reader glean meaning. For example, one of the monsters, Gary Grimace, is illustrated with a grimace on his face, making it easy to determine the definition of the word grimace. I liked this story’s educational value the most. Through the monsters’ discussion of how to better blend in with the people around them, they were modeling being aware of how their actions affected others, a life skill that comes less intuitively for some children. Also, the story ends with a question, prompting the audience to discuss possibilities as to why Sneaky was feeling the depicted emotion. This also deepened the theme of having emotional awareness of yourself and others.

For optimum cohesiveness and flow, this book needed some scenes to be expanded. This issue was my least favorite part of the book. Based on the title, it is clear that Sneaky is one of the main characters of our tale. The story begins with Blake and his grandfather, two other main characters, discussing the up-coming convention. Unless you’ve read the other books, it isn’t until after the convention that it is made clear that Blake somehow knows Sneaky. Furthermore, these characters are never shown speaking with Sneaky at all. I think there could’ve been a moment at the beginning of the story where Blake recalls a snippet of some previous adventure with Sneaky. Also, there could’ve been something added with them briefly interacting with one another. These expansions would’ve helped the story arc feel more cohesive. Also, when Sneaky is exploring the Bahamas there is a scene where he is frightened and he shoots fire out of his face. In the picture we see he scares a nearby child. This scene was good because it built on the theme of emotions; however, I felt that it could’ve included a more concrete description of how Sneaky’s actions impacted those around him. This would create a smoother segue to the discussion the monsters have at the conference about blending in. In addition to the needed expansions, I found a few errors in this brief book.

With that said, I award this book a 3 out of 4 star rating. This children’s book has great educational value. Many will enjoy the fun illustrations of monsters and the discussion about emotional awareness that it will prompt. I believe expanding some scenes could jazz this tale up and make it top-notch. I recommend this book for those who have previously enjoyed Sneaky the Hairy Mountain Monster adventures. It would also be helpful for those who would like to share a delightful tale with the young people in their lives, especially if you need a gentle tool to encourage them to build their emotional IQ.

SNEAKY The Hairy Mountain Monster Goes to the Bahamas
View: on Bookshelves

Like ElizaBeth Adams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

This seems like a great book for kids. But its title is a bit too long. Like you said, this is for those who know Sneaky the Hairy Mountain Monster. So, thanks for your thoughtful review.
busisiwe5754
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-busisiwe5754.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by busisiwe5754 »

''Sneaky has never been to the Bahamas before, and he doesn’t know what a convention is, but he is eager to experience them both. I have never been to the Bahamas either. Since this is a book for kids, I would like to explore it by reading it to my younger sister. Thanks for the review.
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

When it comes to children its important to provide a read worth learning. Seems this read has fulfilled its purpose. Thank yippy for this candid account!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like the travel, and relationship tips the book gives to children. Thanks for the review.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 12:38 This seems like a great book for kids. But its title is a bit too long. Like you said, this is for those who know Sneaky the Hairy Mountain Monster. So, thanks for your thoughtful review.
I agree. The title is a bit long. It is a good book for kids.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

busisiwe5754 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 17:16 ''Sneaky has never been to the Bahamas before, and he doesn’t know what a convention is, but he is eager to experience them both. I have never been to the Bahamas either. Since this is a book for kids, I would like to explore it by reading it to my younger sister. Thanks for the review.
I hope you and your sister both enjoy the book. :D
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

Scarlet Nicoll wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 21:51 When it comes to children its important to provide a read worth learning. Seems this read has fulfilled its purpose. Thank yippy for this candid account!
You are welcome, Scarlet!
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

Wyland wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 05:04 I like the travel, and relationship tips the book gives to children. Thanks for the review.
There are some teachable moments. You are welcome. :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like an interesting tale with a great moral lesson for children. I love the pictures and the fact that the author uses monsters to tell the tale. Nice, too, that it's a series for kids to enjoy. I'm not the target audience, but I enjoyed your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book has many positive qualities in its content and in its presentation. Sometimes children's books are just for entertainment, but it is always delightful when they have educational value also. Thanks for this interesting review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I like that the book teaches children how their actions can impact others. This knowledge seems to come easier to some children than to others. It seems to be well illustrated as well. Thank you for a wonderful review!
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

Scarlet Nicoll wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 21:51 When it comes to children its important to provide a read worth learning. Seems this read has fulfilled its purpose. Thank yippy for this candid account!
This book does have great educational value. Thanks for commenting.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

kdstrack wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 16:51 This book has many positive qualities in its content and in its presentation. Sometimes children's books are just for entertainment, but it is always delightful when they have educational value also. Thanks for this interesting review.
It's an awesome combo when you find educational and entertainment qualities in the same place. Thanks for stopping by.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 10:36 This sounds like an interesting tale with a great moral lesson for children. I love the pictures and the fact that the author uses monsters to tell the tale. Nice, too, that it's a series for kids to enjoy. I'm not the target audience, but I enjoyed your review.
I liked that the author used characters we associate with childhood fears, monsters, to explore emotions. Thanks for your positive comments.

Return to “Children's Books”