Official Review: Witnesses to The Crucifixion

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: Witnesses to The Crucifixion

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Witnesses to The Crucifixion" by Ricky Carstensen w/ James E. Doucette.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One often hears about witnesses to the resurrection of Jesus Christ. When I saw the title Witnesses to the Crucifixion, I found it unusual and was in two minds whether to read it. However, the thought of the Lord’s passion touched my heart, and I selected it in spite of the Easter season. Written by Ricky Carstensen with James E. Doucette, this book has only 82 pages (including illustrations and scriptural quotations), but it has a very deep message that could change your life. Ricky is a pastor with 33 years of experience in the ministry. James is a retired businessman and has published several books.

Ricky was inspired by the novel The Silent Witness by Lionel Luckhoo and John Thompson in which Jesus undergoes a modern trial in a courtroom with several witnesses on both sides. He wondered what the crown of thorns, purple robe, nails, spear, burial shroud, and stone at the entrance of the tomb would have to say as witnesses if they were personified. Did the precious blood of the Savior have any effect on them too? This became one of the themes for his sermons over the years, which he has compiled in Witnesses to the Crucifixion. He wants to say that there is power in the blood of Jesus Christ that can transform you too.

“It wasn’t really me who kept Him nailed to that cross,” said the Nail. “It was His love for you that kept Him there.” These words brought tears in my eyes as I experienced sorrow for Jesus’ passion and the joy of being loved. After reading this book, I felt that the Nail was a better witness than I have been. And so, you’ll find pictures of these personified objects used to humiliate the King, nail him like a criminal for stealing hearts, pierce his broken heart to empty out his love and forgiveness, wrap him with ointments, and keep his body locked in the tomb. The more bitterly and hatefully they were used to hurt him, the more sweetly Jesus loved and forgave them all. The more I hurt him, the more he loves me! This is the personal message of redemption and healing I received through these witnesses.

I loved all the witnesses in the book, but especially the Nail that was once in the toolbox of a carpenter. There is nothing that I disliked in the text. It can be used for meditation and retreats, especially during Lent and Easter. Scriptural passages at the beginning of every chapter are the Word of God speaking directly to you. I won’t give out more details in this review because that would spoil the delight of being touched by the witnesses in their own words. The tombstones say, “We no longer hold bodies forever, as some believe. We only hold them until forever.” The book ends with “The Legend of the Dogwood Tree,” which was written by James.

As mentioned in the book itself, Witnesses to the Crucifixion has been professionally edited. For all the reasons described above, I am happy to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It is suitable for readers of all age groups. Even children may like to listen to their parents or grandparents reading these stories to them. Whether you are a Christian or not, you will enjoy it. Pastors and evangelizers may like to use the contents of this book when they preach.

Witnesses to The Crucifixion
View: on Bookshelves

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This sounds awesome. I like how the author was able to personify such objects as the nails because many readers will be moved by their utterances. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds interesting. I've never read anything like it with the implements of Christ's death being personified. It's worth reading for sure since it sounds like it would be inspirational. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Wonderful review. Personifying the objects is a great way to teach people about the crucifixion of Jesus.
Clemens Nickleby
Favorite Book: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Currently Reading: Free Plants for Everyone
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clemens-nickleby.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Clemens Nickleby »

Interesting, from the title I thought it would be a discussion about the people who witnessed the crucifixion. Jesus didn't die for the nail, but for me and you! A great reason to have reviews, I would never have guessed without your wonderful review.
Truth is stranger than Fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't. Mark Twain
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

This is an innovative book in terms of bring the Passion into new light. I like the way some of the inanimate objects are given life and a chance to say something about the event. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

This book is incredible, interesting and wonderful. I love the way the author uses the scriptural texts to describe the basis of the story.
I love the intriguing and amazing review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting non-fictional biblical retelling of the resurrection of Jesus theough six stand-alone stories. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review that highlighted the best the book has to offer. Congrats on the BOTD.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

A book about the resurrection of Jesus Christ, inspired by the novel The Silent Witness in which Jesus undergoes a modern trial in a room with several witnesses on both sides. It looks interesting and
suitable for readers of all ages.
justjim
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Trying to Save Piggy Sneed
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justjim.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by justjim »

Your review is very interesting but the book doesn't sound like something that I'd enjoy.
"Never memorize something that you can look up." Albert Einstein
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I don’t think in all my reading about the stories of the death of Jesus I have ever read one that has the objects speak about their role. It sounds like this is a very touching story and even one that children could relate to. Thanks for more insight on this one.
Everything happens for a reason...
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This book sounds interesting. The items used for the crucifixion of Christ are given a voice, including the nails and the crown of thorns. Such a unique perspective.
Oyenekan57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Oyenekan57 »

I really love this aspect that says:
“It wasn’t really me who kept Him nailed to that cross,” said the Nail. “It was His love for you that kept Him there.”
Christ died for the salvation of mankind.
Msred325
Favorite Book: It
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172

Post by Msred325 »

This sounds like an amazing book, to read, thanks for your review. Who would of thought about all of the objects speaking. I know, that even with my imagination, I couldn’t have dreamed this idea.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

Just when you think we’ve used up every possible angle from which to explore the crucifixion, someone comes up with a new one -- and a pretty cool one at that. I may give this one a look. Thanks for the review, Renu. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”