Official Review: The Secrets: A Mirror Estate Suspense No...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: The Secrets: A Mirror Estate Suspense No...

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secrets: A Mirror Estate Suspense Novelette" by S.L. Fon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Secrets: A Mirror Estate Suspense Novelette by S. L. Fon is a short mystery story of 48 pages, a prequel to an upcoming series of Mirror Estate novels. After graduating from college a year ago and recently losing his mother, Dylan Roche is struggling to make ends meet. He originally moved back in with his ailing mother, Mimi, to take care of her and to save money while paying back his student loans. After her death, he gets a call to meet his mate Tommy for lunch. Tommy gives Dylan the much-needed checks and cash donated by mourners at his mother's funeral. Dylan is then visited by an attorney, Charles Townsend, acting on behalf of his grandmother, Carol Marino. Carol would like to get to know her grandson, and Townsend offers to fly Dylan out to Carol's estate by private jet. It seems Carol is a wealthy woman. But things on Carol's estate are not what they seem...

S. L. Fon is a pseudonym for an anonymous author who prefers their privacy. In this book, the author's sentences were simple and straightforward, making the story easy to read. The dialogue was nicely written and seemed authentic to the characters and the situations they were in. The storyline was entertaining and Dylan's family history was more complicated than I initially thought, which kept me reading to learn more. However, though I did enjoy the story, it didn't really grab me as it could have. I believe the fault might lie with the length of the tale since it is difficult to develop characters and build decent tension in under 50 pages. I feel I would engage more with the characters in the sequel novels after having more time to get to know them better.

Dylan's periodic feelings of being watched while staying on his grandmother's estate suggested to me a possible spirit presence, maybe his mother. Given the big old house, I believed there might be a haunted element to the story. While I didn't find these moments genuinely creepy, they were unsettling, leaving me wondering when this clandestine presence would properly announce itself. The author planned and executed the twists at the end neatly. The ending itself explained some of the unusual events from earlier in the story, which brought a final coherence to a previously mysterious plot.

The Secrets did need further editing, however. There were more errors than I expected in a 48-page story; I found ten by just over three-quarters of the way through. Most were either missing or incorrect words. One example was the use of "honky dory" instead of the regularly used expression "hunky-dory," meaning "everything's fine." Though most of the prose was concise, there were occasional sentences needing a trim, such as: "After graduating from college just about a year ago..." This sentence could easily lose the words "just about" (or change them for "almost") without losing any real meaning.

Overall, The Secrets: A Mirror Estate Novelette was an enjoyable read, but it didn't reach any great heights for me. As I said, I think I would connect better with the characters once I got to know them better in later books. Given that, and the editing, I would rate this book 2-and-a-half stars if I could. With half-stars not possible, I will award it 3 out of 4 stars, as I don't believe it had enough flaws to drop it to 2 stars. Those who enjoy short mystery stories should like this one, though be aware that it is fairly low-key and a little lacking in tension, mainly due to the shorter format.

The Secrets: A Mirror Estate Suspense Novelette
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
busisiwe5754
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-busisiwe5754.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by busisiwe5754 »

''Those who enjoy short mystery stories should like this one, though be aware that it is fairly low-key and a little lacking in tension, mainly due to the shorter format''. I was addicted to mystery books. When I was younger, during my free time I would read mystery books just to find out what happened next. I am now a non-fiction reader and I shall stick to that.
Thank you for the review.
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

I like a good short story read. Sadly, the mystery, the climax that I heartily desire isn't visible. Thank you for this candid review!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It seems important that mysteries and prequels should be as intriguing as possible; it's a shame this one falls short. I do like the sound of the paranormal element, though.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Whenever there is a story with less than a hundred pages, I think it should start at one of the most exciting parts. From reading your review, I agree that there didn't seem to be enough pages to allow proper development. Thank you for reviewing :)
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's nice, every once in a while, to read a short mystery such as this. Something that doesn't take too much of your time or brain power. It's too bad about the editing, but it still seems worthwhile. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author takes a gamble by offering a prequel. If done well, you have the readers for the entire series. If not, then you may have shot yourself in the foot! I enjoyed your comments about this book, and the book cover is amazing! Thanks for your honest review of this book.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I do wonder why the author chose to publish this book separately instead of including in the upcoming series. In any case, I think it'll be better for me to revisit this book once the first book of the series comes out because this one seems to focus mostly on Dylan's family history. Thanks for the review.
PreciousWorlds007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by PreciousWorlds007 »

Not my cup of tea but I suppose others may enjoy it :?
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

busisiwe5754 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 16:55 ''Those who enjoy short mystery stories should like this one, though be aware that it is fairly low-key and a little lacking in tension, mainly due to the shorter format''. I was addicted to mystery books. When I was younger, during my free time I would read mystery books just to find out what happened next. I am now a non-fiction reader and I shall stick to that.
Thank you for the review.
There is certainly a lot of value in reading non-fiction and learning more about the world. Thanks for your comments.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Scarlet Nicoll wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 21:40 I like a good short story read. Sadly, the mystery, the climax that I heartily desire isn't visible. Thank you for this candid review!
The ending was interesting, but overall I think the story was just a bit too short to have the impact it could have. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 02:29 It seems important that mysteries and prequels should be as intriguing as possible; it's a shame this one falls short. I do like the sound of the paranormal element, though.
I think "short" is the operative word here. Given a longer format, this author could really shine. Thanks.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Letora wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 07:29 Whenever there is a story with less than a hundred pages, I think it should start at one of the most exciting parts. From reading your review, I agree that there didn't seem to be enough pages to allow proper development. Thank you for reviewing :)
Yeah, this one is probably just a little short to develop the story and characters too much. I would be keen to read one of the novels, however, to learn more. Thanks.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 10:26 It's nice, every once in a while, to read a short mystery such as this. Something that doesn't take too much of your time or brain power. It's too bad about the editing, but it still seems worthwhile. Thanks so much.
I agree, a short mystery can be enjoyable at times, depending on what you feel like reading. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kdstrack wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 16:58 The author takes a gamble by offering a prequel. If done well, you have the readers for the entire series. If not, then you may have shot yourself in the foot! I enjoyed your comments about this book, and the book cover is amazing! Thanks for your honest review of this book.
I agree, fantastic book cover, and definitely one of the reasons I chose to review this book. I think I would reserve full judgement on this series until I had read one of the novels. Definite potential. Thanks!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”