Official Review: Living With Alzheimer’s: A Journey...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Official Review: Living With Alzheimer’s: A Journey...

Post by kdstrack »

Kelyn wrote: 29 May 2019, 13:03 My father-in-law had Alzheimer's disease. It was painful to watch him deteriorate from a vital man to someone who must be helped with almost everything. Then it struck my mother-in-law. That descent was even more painful for my husband because they were very close. I think I'll be giving this one a pass as it would most likely bring back very negative memories but I'm sure it would be a great resource for those currently caring for a loved one or family member with Alzheimer's disease. Thank you for the in-depth review.
I understand. Thanks for commenting.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Thanks for the information about Alzheimer. I look forward to putting it in my to read list. Nice review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Wyland wrote: 30 May 2019, 07:05 Thanks for the information about Alzheimer. I look forward to putting it in my to read list. Nice review.
I hope the book will be helpful for you. The story the author shares about her husband is touching, and the information if helpful. Thanks for commenting.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I liked how you took time to describe each section, it really helped me out in deciding whether I'll be reading the book. I am into the topic of Alzheimer's and this would really help me out. Thanks for the great review! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

briellejee wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 22:43 I liked how you took time to describe each section, it really helped me out in deciding whether I'll be reading the book. I am into the topic of Alzheimer's and this would really help me out. Thanks for the great review! :tiphat:
I really enjoyed the way the author formatted the book. The personal experiences that she explains in the first section make sense when she introduces the clinical terms in the second section. I hope this book will help you. Thanks for commenting. I appreciate your comments.
Jo689
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jo689 »

Alzheimer's disease is on the rise today. I'm glad a book like this is written in order to further explore what's it like to experience and know someone who has Alzheimer's disease, and the struggles, challenges and wisdom that comes with it! It's not easy to care for someone who in this state of mind, and I'm pretty sure if this book was given to families who have loved ones with Alzheimer's, it would send a powerful message and new perspective that will help them cope while caring for their loved one.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

This is a good review. It seems to me the people who suffer the most are the people who don't have dementia, instead of the afflicted one. This is an issue that I would love to read about, and I think many others will agree when I say it's difficult to ask questions to the family while they're in the middle of it....
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Jo689 wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 14:56 Alzheimer's disease is on the rise today. I'm glad a book like this is written in order to further explore what's it like to experience and know someone who has Alzheimer's disease, and the struggles, challenges and wisdom that comes with it! It's not easy to care for someone who in this state of mind, and I'm pretty sure if this book was given to families who have loved ones with Alzheimer's, it would send a powerful message and new perspective that will help them cope while caring for their loved one.
I agree. This book was written by a person who has lived with an AD husband and who writes from experience and with compassion for helping others. It contains easy to understand language and is full of examples to help readers identify the symptoms. Like you, I hope many families will read this book and be able to help their loved ones. Thanks so much for your comments!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kansas City Teacher wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 23:02 This is a good review. It seems to me the people who suffer the most are the people who don't have dementia, instead of the afflicted one. This is an issue that I would love to read about, and I think many others will agree when I say it's difficult to ask questions to the family while they're in the middle of it....
That is an excellent point that the author brings out in the book. The whole family suffers this disease - unlike many other health issues. She has some good advice for the caretakers and the families. Thanks so much for commenting!
Emmylites90
Currently Reading: The Rebellion (The Legend Of The Soul Stone #0 - Prequel)
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Emmylites90 »

The true life story in the book made it to be so passionate and sympathetic. The disease just bring a disaster to the family.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Emmylites90 wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 19:05 The true life story in the book made it to be so passionate and sympathetic. The disease just bring a disaster to the family.
It is a devastating disease. The advice that this author gives is very helpful. Thanks for commenting!
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

By your review, the story of the book sounds simple and informative. A caring wife for an ill husband is a true example of pure love. Great review !👍
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 02:16 By your review, the story of the book sounds simple and informative. A caring wife for an ill husband is a true example of pure love. Great review !👍
It is a compassionate book. I hope you will have an opportunity to read it. Thanks for commenting!
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

What a brave and strong character! Alzheimer's disease is one of the life threatening diseases that shock the family and friends of the one going through that tough situation. I love the author's sincerely in the writing and also the courage even when it was one of the hardest moments watching the loved one lose his life.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kyoks wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 01:49 What a brave and strong character! Alzheimer's disease is one of the life threatening diseases that shock the family and friends of the one going through that tough situation. I love the author's sincerely in the writing and also the courage even when it was one of the hardest moments watching the loved one lose his life.
Besides all the information in the book, I found it to be very moving as the author talked about her husband. I hope you benefit from this book as much as I did. Thanks for the kind comments!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”