What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I hate how romantically overbearing he was. I suppose he was so forward because he was so into her. But I thought I would puke from all the times he called her pet names.

"darling"
"my love"
"sweetie"
"honey"
:puke-huge:
Ugh. When Dan came in while Cynthia was sick, he also called her a bunch of pet names and was overly helpful. Just like Sky.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Priya_dharshini1999 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 13:27 Sky's character was very suspicious and unsettling from the beginning. I mean nobody offers a stranger to lock their car and take them out to lunch! I was expecting him to kidnap Cynthia any moment.
YES!!!
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

Priya_dharshini1999 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 13:27 Sky's character was very suspicious and unsettling from the beginning. I mean nobody offers a stranger to lock their car and take them out to lunch! I was expecting him to kidnap Cynthia any moment.
I have to admit, I felt Sky was creepy from the beginning. He seemed to know too much about her. I was expecting something bad to happen to Cynthia because of him. Kidnapping, some kind of counter-terrorism, something.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

Sinclairess wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 21:46 I hate how romantically overbearing he was. I suppose he was so forward because he was so into her. But I thought I would puke from all the times he called her pet names.

"darling"
"my love"
"sweetie"
"honey"
Ugh. When Dan came in while Cynthia was sick, he also called her a bunch of pet names and was overly helpful. Just like Sky.
Absolutely! Things you would also say to your pet dog.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsey Coles »

DC Brown wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 22:33 Absolutely! Things you would also say to your pet dog.
Yes! :lol:
IloveSpain01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovespain01.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by IloveSpain01 »

When he was first introduced, it reminded me of the movie Thomas Crown Affair. He was very mysterious and I initially thought he was a spy. Since he is a major in the Air Force, he may have had to keep his identity a secret. Although, I will agree he was a bit off.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Sinclairess wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 21:46 I hate how romantically overbearing he was. I suppose he was so forward because he was so into her. But I thought I would puke from all the times he called her pet names.

"darling"
"my love"
"sweetie"
"honey"
He did seem to lay it on thick. I really didn't think Dan's character was as bad about it though. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

DC Brown wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 22:29 I have to admit, I felt Sky was creepy from the beginning. He seemed to know too much about her. I was expecting something bad to happen to Cynthia because of him. Kidnapping, some kind of counter-terrorism, something.
IloveSpain01 wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 15:39 When he was first introduced, it reminded me of the movie Thomas Crown Affair. He was very mysterious and I initially thought he was a spy. Since he is a major in the Air Force, he may have had to keep his identity a secret. Although, I will agree he was a bit off.
I thought about the spy angle at first, until he took her back to his apartment and she, like a naive little girl, agreed to go. After that, I was just waiting for him to put GHB(sp?) in her drink. I appreciate you both stopping by and commenting!
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I did not like Skys character in the beginning of the book. He was such a stalker (went into her house and made coffee when you met 24 hours ago??). And then he goes into these detailed descriptions of how Plan B works (am I in health class?). He seemed disingenuous.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Helene_2008 wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 20:11 I did not like Skys character in the beginning of the book. He was such a stalker (went into her house and made coffee when you met 24 hours ago??). And then he goes into these detailed descriptions of how Plan B works (am I in health class?). He seemed disingenuous.
:lol2: He did sound a bit pedantic there, didn't he? Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

Sky's character was really odd. The first meeting was strange. Everything happened too fast. His over-familiarity with Cynthia right off the bat was very strange.
His letters a few days later confessing love so soon were more than a little creepy.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

VernaVi wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 00:20 Sky's character was really odd. The first meeting was strange. Everything happened too fast. His over-familiarity with Cynthia right off the bat was very strange.
His letters a few days later confessing love so soon were more than a little creepy.
When the 'love letters' came so quickly after they met I couldn't help but think he was being fake (and creepy). :roll: Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Julie Petitbon wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 19:37 I did not like his character. I think the author was trying to make him charismatic and charming, but he came across as predatory and controlling. His overbearing personality made Cynthia appear weak and easy to manipulate, which seems to contradict her personality in other parts of the book. Both personalities were a bit all over the place, in my opinion.
You're right about that. It's funny how she is so on top of things at work but when it comes to Sky she is the opposite. That's how love is, I guess.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Julie Petitbon wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 19:37 I did not like his character. I think the author was trying to make him charismatic and charming, but he came across as predatory and controlling. His overbearing personality made Cynthia appear weak and easy to manipulate, which seems to contradict her personality in other parts of the book. Both personalities were a bit all over the place, in my opinion.
You're right about that. It's funny how she is so on top of things at work but when it comes to Sky she is the opposite. That's how love is, I guess. She was not in love with Dan, and he didn't seem to have nearly as much of a disabling effect on her.
Dikay127
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dikay127.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Dikay127 »

I didn't mind Sky as much as others clearly did. The way he pops up and is introduced in the book was a bit odd but it was obvious he was going to be a main character. I will agree that his sickly sweetness was a bit much but I do like how he ends up tying in with the cyber nerds and how everything comes together at the end. Though I thought the proposal after one "date" was completely unrealistic.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”