Pregnancy (Spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Re: Pregnancy (Spoilers)

Post by Dragonsend »

I thought that the pregnancy aspect was one of the better parts of the book, it showed consequences of unacceptable behavior. I didn't like that the abortion pill was expounded upon as much as it was. That prescription is only available if you are under a doctor's care and was illegal in the U.S. for a long time. I haven't looked it up but from what I can remember it was in the news for a while. People do not think of what they put themselves through when they act impulsively. I do agree that it didn't add a whole lot to the book but without it there would have been nothing at all to Cynthia's character.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
chiadeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiadeer.html

Post by chiadeer »

Shelly Caetano wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 08:32 I thought this was a very peculiar subplot that took away from the story. What was even stranger to me was how Mike was the expert on the subject. I found it peculiar that a woman, who knew she was pregnant, experienced very painful abdominal cramps and vaginal bleeding and did not freak out but instead went to work. Overall, I think the author tried to use this subplot as a character development or growth tool. In my opinion, it did not quite hit the mark.
Yes. All of this! I was trying to figure out why the author even added the pregnancy to then end it in miscarriage. I think it detracted from the rest of the story, if anything.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I thought it was a great plot twist. I can understand how it was traumatic and she wanted to keep it to herself...

However it upsets me how clueless she was after she had sex with Sky. You are a grown woman, and you don't know what Plan B is? :? It is ironic how in her work life she is so cautious and on top of everything, but it took her forever to take a pregancy test. No one is perfect, but still.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

VernaVi wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 19:29 I too, thought that it was odd that Cynthia drank while pregnant. I also felt that the veiled references to the "syrup' medicine she took could have had something to do with it. Especially after Sky practically offered her the 'abortion/miscarriage option on a silver platter (even going so far as to provide the drugs for it). This part of the plot was my least favorite part of the book.
You make a good point! Maybe after she threw the RU-486 pills away, Dan knew about the pregnancy and the syrup actually induced her miscarriage????
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

Sinclairess wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 19:56
VernaVi wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 19:29 I too, thought that it was odd that Cynthia drank while pregnant. I also felt that the veiled references to the "syrup' medicine she took could have had something to do with it. Especially after Sky practically offered her the 'abortion/miscarriage option on a silver platter (even going so far as to provide the drugs for it). This part of the plot was my least favorite part of the book.
You make a good point! Maybe after she threw the RU-486 pills away, Dan knew about the pregnancy and the syrup actually induced her miscarriage????
I had the same thought myself. True.
IloveSpain01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovespain01.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by IloveSpain01 »

heatherashley7 wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 15:58 I personally think it was Dan, this may sound far fetched but he did change her sheets so he had to see the letters. One of the letters mentioned the pregnancy and then he was in her bathroom and could have easily crushed the one prescription to mix it in with medicine. I think the author missed a golden opportunity to pin it on the villain in this book.

The situation as a whole was very hard to read after already reading about the Plan B and the second prescription. This plot line was HORRIBLE in my opinion.
I agree that the author could have pinned the miscarriage on Dan. His actions were shady enough to where he could have been at fault for Cynthia's miscarriage. Although, Cynthia was wise enough to not disclose anything to Dan. This is one section of the plot of the book that the author could have done more with.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

I don't think it related much to the entire plot, whether it was meant to bring out another side of Cynthia or not. It seemed more offside.
Jo689
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jo689 »

I thought the pregnancy would have some significance or be a foreshadowing event that would lead to subsequent events in the book. Like for example, Cynthia's pregnancy, and unfortunate miscarriage could lead to something new, or be a source of strength in her relationships with the other characters in the book (pregnancy loss is hard for a woman, so having that support can do wonders and repair damaged relationships)
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I honestly did not like the whole pregnancy/miscarriage plot and thought it took away from the book. Having been pregnant myself, I thought the nausea was a little extreme (mine was all day but I could function and no vomiting) although I know everyone is different. Having never experienced a miscarriage, I can't say whether that was accurate. I thought cynthia reacted appropriately to the pregnancy. Everyone reacts differently to a miscarriage...unfortunately there are some people out there who don't care too much.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I felt like their romantic subplot sidelined the story completely. There was just too much focus on Cynthia's sex life and romance, and not enough on the spy/mystery sections of the book. It really hurt the book in my opinion. If the author had spent as much time on the main plot, I think it could have been a more entertaining book.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

I liked the fact that it portrayed consequences of reckless behavior. When Sky first went to her house it seemed like a plug for those medications. It was sad in a way, and as far as the writing, it was the most realistic part of the book. Not much dialogue there! Yes, I also agree that I know Dan would have seen the medication when he went through the medicine cabinet . I actually thought he was going to confront her about it.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Dragonsend wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 10:57 I thought that the pregnancy aspect was one of the better parts of the book, it showed consequences of unacceptable behavior. I didn't like that the abortion pill was expounded upon as much as it was. That prescription is only available if you are under a doctor's care and was illegal in the U.S. for a long time. I haven't looked it up but from what I can remember it was in the news for a while. People do not think of what they put themselves through when they act impulsively. I do agree that it didn't add a whole lot to the book but without it there would have been nothing at all to Cynthia's character.
There is even an article at the end of the book about the abortion pill. As well as Plan B. Just like you said, the abortion pill is prescription only, and Sky is a man, so did he just go to his doctor to order them and it was just OK? Lol.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

Sinclairess wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 15:51
Dragonsend wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 10:57 I thought that the pregnancy aspect was one of the better parts of the book, it showed consequences of unacceptable behavior. I didn't like that the abortion pill was expounded upon as much as it was. That prescription is only available if you are under a doctor's care and was illegal in the U.S. for a long time. I haven't looked it up but from what I can remember it was in the news for a while. People do not think of what they put themselves through when they act impulsively. I do agree that it didn't add a whole lot to the book but without it there would have been nothing at all to Cynthia's character.
There is even an article at the end of the book about the abortion pill. As well as Plan B. Just like you said, the abortion pill is prescription only, and Sky is a man, so did he just go to his doctor to order them and it was just OK? Lol.
Then you find out he's a military man. Hmm?!? Didn't know prescriptions you can't take are a perk! Well it's FICTION!!!Guess he would have looked too honorable if he would have just offered the doctor and not the pills!
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

To me it seemed incongruous with the rest of the book. Personally, I would have preferred it be left out.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Shelly Caetano wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 08:32 I thought this was a very peculiar subplot that took away from the story. What was even stranger to me was how Mike was the expert on the subject. I found it peculiar that a woman, who knew she was pregnant, experienced very painful abdominal cramps and vaginal bleeding and did not freak out but instead went to work. Overall, I think the author tried to use this subplot as a character development or growth tool. In my opinion, it did not quite hit the mark.
Agreed. It was clear to me that the author used it as a growth tool without much thinking when Mike was the one who was expert on the subject. I mean, a woman knows her body well enough and going to work in that condition was really telling of how shallow Cynthia's character is.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”