Review by briellejee -- The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Review by briellejee -- The Last Bush Pilots by Eric Auxier

Post by briellejee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Last Bush Pilots" by Eric Auxier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Just like how the midnight sun refuses to set in Alaska, you'll find yourself unable to put Eric Auxier's The Last Bush Pilots down even in the middle of the night. Despite the harsh cold of its setting, this book brings a heartwarming adventure anyone would surely enjoy.

Daniel Christopher "DC" Alva is about to lose hope of his career going up when he receives a phone call from his best friend, Allen, telling him to come down to Alaska for a flying job. With a promise of new adventures and rich experiences, DC finds it hard to refuse the offer. However, there is one thing that makes flying different in Alaska: Mother Nature can beat any pilot no matter how experienced they are. Questions and feelings of uncertainty suddenly hit DC. Will he be able to survive until the summer? Will he get out of this job alive? Will this be a stepping stone for his career? Or will it be the downfall he dreaded the most? Considering it's too late to back out, DC accepts the challenge, packs his bags, and breathes in the cold Alaskan air for the first time.

This book grows on you as you continue to turn the pages. At first glance, it may not seem appealing, especially if you're not interested in planes and a pilot's life. However, as the story progresses, there is this unknown force that reels you in towards the pages. The characters and the story itself will slowly find their way into your heart, making you unable to let go and put down the book.

One aspect I really liked was the author's writing style. The conversations were charming and humorous. The descriptions were vivid enough to make you feel as if you were there in Alaska. From the smell of the pine trees to the majestic skies, everything was written exquisitely. I straightaway had this desire to go to Alaska and see everything myself after reading the book. Even the flying sessions were described in details that I didn't find confusing or tedious. The author made sure that everyone, even someone who has no idea of how planes work, would find such topics interesting and easy to understand.

Additionally, the characters were well-written: the author didn't just write them—he gave them life. After introducing the characters in the story, their backstories then followed in the succeeding chapter. I found this feature remarkable; considering it didn't only give depth to the characters, but it also made them relatable and likable. Some books tend to oversell some backstories, but I didn't feel it on this one. The flow of the story was not interrupted, and it enriched the plot as well.

In all honesty, I was saddened when I reached the last page of The Last Bush Pilots. It was an incredible masterpiece that touched my heart, and it was a pity that such a pleasant experience has to end. I found nothing that I disliked about the book; everything, down to its last detail, was engaging and fascinating. There were few errors such as wrong punctuations and lack of commas, but they didn't affect the quality of the book. One might not even notice these errors if they weren't looking for it. Thus, I give it a 4 out of 4 stars rating.

I'd personally like to recommend this to anyone finding a good book worthy of their time. Also, if you are into character-driven books, then this is perfect for you. Though this story has action scenes, I don't think it would be satisfying for those who prefer action-packed novels. There are some explicit scenes involved, so this might not be suitable for children and teens.

Lastly, I give you one of my favorite lines in the book:

"You've got to learn to fall. If you don't, the fear alone will paralyze you."

The Last Bush Pilots
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like briellejee's review? Post a comment saying so!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like how Christopher is challenged by his friend Allen to rescue his fledgling career as a pilot. What I wonder is if he really does succeed. Thanks for the review.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

To get such an endorsement, it must be a really great book. Also, I'm curious and want to learn more about planes and lives of pilots. So, I'll make sure to read it and thanks a lot for your lovely review.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I hope that there are more similar quotes in the book. Thanks a lot for the review. The book sounds really fascinating and memorable given the level of description.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed the way you described the character development in this book. The descriptions of Alaska also sound enticing. Great review. Thanks!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

It’s always a great compliment when you are sad to finish a book. I would never think to pick this one up on my own, but your description of it makes me want to give it a try. Great review!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

DC's tenacity must have been quite the thrill to read about and the concept of a story around pilots like him is sure to be quite exciting. Thanks for the review!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Wyland wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 06:46 I like how Christopher is challenged by his friend Allen to rescue his fledgling career as a pilot. What I wonder is if he really does succeed. Thanks for the review.
You'll find out if you read the book :wink: I think it's still up for review :) Thanks for stopping by. :tiphat:
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I've always been fascinated by Alaska and any stories or movies I can find about it. Sounds like this is a great story too! Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

briellejee wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 02:25 The descriptions were vivid enough to make you feel as if you were there in Alaska. From the smell of the pine trees to the majestic skies, everything was written exquisitely. I straightaway had this desire to go to Alaska and see everything myself after reading the book
I wouldn't have thought to read a book like this before reading your review. This line in particular made me think how much I would enjoy it. I would love to learn more about Alaska too by the sounds of it! I also love how you give your favourite quote at the end of your reviews, that's a nice touch. Great review Briellejee :)
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Great review! I could tell how much you liked the book, but I think I'll pass.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 08:18 To get such an endorsement, it must be a really great book. Also, I'm curious and want to learn more about planes and lives of pilots. So, I'll make sure to read it and thanks a lot for your lovely review.
Thank you for considering reading it. I hope you'll find it as good as I did. :tiphat: Thanks for such a nice comment and for stopping by!
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Kibetious wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 10:58 I hope that there are more similar quotes in the book. Thanks a lot for the review. The book sounds really fascinating and memorable given the level of description.
Yeah, there's a number of those quotes. I hope you'll consider reading it. Thanks for stopping by :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

kdstrack wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 16:15 I enjoyed the way you described the character development in this book. The descriptions of Alaska also sound enticing. Great review. Thanks!
If I only I have the money, I would have flown to Alaska in a heartbeat. Thanks for the nice comment and for stopping by! :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

unamilagra wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 16:37 It’s always a great compliment when you are sad to finish a book. I would never think to pick this one up on my own, but your description of it makes me want to give it a try. Great review!
It was because of the attachment to the characters and the story itself that I think it was such a sad thing to have it end. I would never have picked this up too if it weren't for the sample when it was BOTD. I hope you'll read it and will enjoy it as I did. Thanks for the nice comments and for stopping by! :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”