Official Review: Those Deep Below by John W. Noyes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Those Deep Below by John W. Noyes

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Those Deep Below" by John W. Noyes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Those Deep Below, by John W. Noyes, is the first book of the Inca Empire series. Categorized as a historical fiction novel, this book is based on the Inca Empire.

When Rezi sings, her voice has the power to enthrall anyone who is listening. Her voice has a great effect on the ailing King, giving him the strength to carry out some of his duties again. However, her voice has also caught the eye of the jealous Queen. When Rezi is kidnapped and hidden away inside a cell room, the entire kingdom thinks she ran away leaving the King so devastated that he succumbs to his sickness. Unfortunately for the King's household, all 4,000 members are forced to go below to be buried alive with the King in his massive tomb. In the tomb, tension rises as people begin to get restless while others are plotting to escape or to seize control. As Rezi tries to find a way out she must also deal with the Queen’s torments and abuse.

The author did a good job of describing the settings without giving too many details or overshadowing the main events of the story. I was also able to clearly visualize the events as they unfolded because of the vivid descriptions the author used to describe the scenes. Enough background information was given to introduce the story, and the plot moved at a good pace. Although I found some of the scenes to be violent and graphic, I enjoyed the buildup of tension and suspense between each scene.

Moreover, what I liked the most about this book was the portrayal of the characters. They were brought to life through the author’s use of imagery. All of the characters were crafted into believable and well-developed characters. I love books with strong female protagonists, which is definitely what Rezi is. She remained strong throughout the endless abuse from the Queen and was able to overcome multiple obstacles. Besides Rezi, I thought that the witty and sarcastic banter between Achachila, Misi, and Mantaqway was amusing.

There were a couple of intense scenes with graphic torture and abuse, so I would not recommend this book to younger readers. There were a lot of dark and violent moments in this book, which can make even adults uncomfortable. However, I feel like those violent scenes helped to showcase the personalities of some of the characters.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were a couple of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, which made me take away a star. Besides the errors, this book was an enjoyable read. I would recommend this book to those who like reading action-packed historical fiction novels.

Those Deep Below
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I looked at this one on the review list and almost thought about getting it. I just couldn't make up my mind. It does sound interesting with the servants being buried alive with the King. Do any of them actually escape? What happens? I guess I'll have to read and find out! Thanks so much for an interesting review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

This seems like a really interesting plot with major potential for suspense and drama. Thanks for the heads up about graphic violence. Very well-written review! Thank you!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Nicely done review! Rezi sure sounds like a strong female character. I wonder if she uses her voice to help more people?
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

I definitely like what I see in here. The idea of setting up a story based on the Inca Empire is a delight, and takes great skill from the author to portray it well. Thanks for your candid account!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I also love books with strong female protagonists. This sounds like a book I would enjoy. Thanks for a wonderful review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your summary of the book has me deeply intrigued. I, too, am wondering if Rezi's singing comes into play elsewhere in the story. This one is definitely going on my list. Thanks!
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

Thank you for the review. Rezi sounds like a lovable and realistic character. I'd love to see if she and the other servants can escape from the tomb.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like that Rezi is a strong female character who endures a lot of the obstacles put on her way by the Queen. The semblance of the story to what I know of some historical kingdoms is also welcome. Thanks for the wonderful review.
SweetPee7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by SweetPee7 »

I enjoy historical books with a strong archaeological theme and ancient kingdoms. I believe this one is a pass for me, due to the violence and torture. Thank you for pointing that out in your wonderful review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”