Official Review: The Diary of Vanessa Rocoso

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: The Diary of Vanessa Rocoso

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Diary of Vanessa Rocoso" by Z. D. Boxall.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"We write what happened today so we can learn for tomorrow" ~ V. Rocoso.

What would you do if you were kidnapped by pirates while on your way to a cruise ship? If your kidnappers burned all of your luggage but allowed you to keep only one item, what would you choose? Vanessa Rocoso chose her diary.

In it, she documented the events which took place when she, her sister, and several strangers realized that they were not heading to meet the holiday cruise ship. The boat they had cheerily boarded was sailing in the wrong direction. It was now taking them to another vessel – a floating gaol on which wealthy clients rented girls for sexual pleasures and paid to watch men fight to the death. Vanessa, Shae, Michael, Edward, Jonathon, Ben, Gwendolyn, Melanie, Bob, Catharine, and Jacqueline became victims of this horrible fate in December 2017. The chances of escaping were slim, but they had to try. Would they be able to defeat their monstrous kidnappers or would they become monsters themselves? Read The Diary of Vanessa Rocoso by Z.D. Boxall to find out what happened in this thrilling tale of survival.

There were so many things I wanted to dislike about this book like the bloody gore, the graphic ways in which some of the characters died, and the explicit subject matters of the book (which I was totally unprepared for). However, once I started reading, the story kept sucking me in with each plot twist. It was like watching a riveting horror movie where you can’t predict the ending, but you simply can’t turn it off because you have to get to the end to find out what happened to the characters. I noticed my heart racing and my breathing naturally pausing because more often than not, the characters sunk into dire situations where I could not predict what would happen next. I commend the author for writing such a riveting story, whether or not it was based on true events. The story also largely consisted of dialogue which at first I disliked. Later on, I appreciated this because I preferred not to read the descriptions of certain graphic scenes such as when a character was viciously mauled by a crocodile or when cannibalism emerged in the tale.

What I liked most about this book was that the author purposely left things to the reader’s imagination. Certain events which happened without much explanation caused me to think about why certain characters did the things they did. Some characters had fully developed backstories, while the author only left vague bits of information throughout the book about the others. This made me try to analyze the characters based on what I knew about them. There was also a Christian element to the book which seemed to operate in the background of the story. It added a peaceful balance to this dark tale which I really appreciated.

There were two things which caused me to deduct a star from the final rating. Firstly, one character was referred to by three names. Jonathon was also referred to as ‘John’ and ‘Johnny’. Since there were other characters to keep track of (who also had nicknames), using multiple nicknames for Jonathon made the story feel as if there were even more characters. Secondly, there were nine noticeable grammatical errors in the book.

In conclusion, I rate The Diary of Vanessa Rocoso 3 out of 4 stars for its unpredictable plot twists, thought-provoking elements, and riveting storyline. Adults who like thrilling adventure stories and maritime suspense tales will appreciate this tale. However, readers who are easily triggered by themes such as prostitution, kidnapping, torture, cannibalism, violence, and murder may not enjoy reading this.

The Diary of Vanessa Rocoso
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the review. You've brought out the summary of the book nicley as well as highlighted some flaws such as the three names for a single character. Is this fictional or true?
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Great review! While this book isn't something I would usually read, your review piqued my interest. I like that the character chose a diary as her one item and she was able to keep a record of this horrible occurrence.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Pirates and cannibalism seem like an odd combination when you think about it but if it works, it works. I might check it out because those two things hooked me and I want to know how Vanessa survives.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

KristyKhem wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 09:32 It was like watching a riveting horror movie where you can’t predict the ending, but you simply can’t turn it off because you have to get to the end to find out what happened to the characters.
That's exactly my thought when I read your summary of the book. I'm a bit surprised that this book is listed in Young Adult. I'm usually not a fan of gore, but the plot sounds very intriguing. Plus, I love it when authors leave things to readers' imagination. Thank you for the insightful review.
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

TuyetMai wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 11:25
KristyKhem wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 09:32 It was like watching a riveting horror movie where you can’t predict the ending, but you simply can’t turn it off because you have to get to the end to find out what happened to the characters.
That's exactly my thought when I read your summary of the book. I'm a bit surprised that this book is listed in Young Adult. I'm usually not a fan of gore, but the plot sounds very intriguing. Plus, I love it when authors leave things to readers' imagination. Thank you for the insightful review.
I also found it strange that this book was listed as a Young Adult novel. I think that the events in it were catastrophic and frightening! Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 08:35 Great review! While this book isn't something I would usually read, your review piqued my interest. I like that the character chose a diary as her one item and she was able to keep a record of this horrible occurrence.
Thanks for commenting Stephanie, yes it certainly was an interesting book!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Kibetious wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 03:35 Thanks for the review. You've brought out the summary of the book nicley as well as highlighted some flaws such as the three names for a single character. Is this fictional or true?
I was wondering the same thing. It seems like a fictional tale, but the foreword and epilogue hinted at it being a true story. It was never explicitly stated whether it was based on factual events, so I don't know for sure.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

That the author can make you wonder if this is fact or fiction points to excellent writing. Your exciting description is contagious and piques the interest in what was in that diary! Great review. Thanks for the recommendation.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This does sound like a very intense book to read. Do you know if it was fact or fiction? Thanks for a well-written review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The plot of this one sounds interesting. The graphic nature of the story, though, definitely turns me off. I'm sure it's realistic, but it's not something I enjoy reading about. Thanks anyway.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

I love the idea of this read. I understand its a memoir and clearly unexpected, yet it is something quite unique. According to your synopsis I'm surprised you didn't see this coming: "There were so many things I wanted to dislike about this book like the bloody gore, the graphic ways in which some of the characters died, and the explicit subject matters of the book (which I was totally unprepared for)." Though unfortunate, it's a driving read. Thank you!
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Interesting review. The book is intriguing. I'm curious to know what happened to Vanessa in the end.
Devika menon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devika-menon.html
Latest Review: Peppermint Mocha Murder by Pam Moll

Post by Devika menon »

Thanks for the review. The intensity of the plot twists you mentioned definitely sounds like a must-read. I cannot wait to read what happens!
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by writingShannon »

OK, that sounds very traumatic! Does it actually have a happy ending or is everything just awful?
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”