Review by imSunshine -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review by imSunshine -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by imSunshine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you not afraid of the water? Have you built yourself stronger that no matter how big the coming waves are, you will still be firm in your ground?

Charlie Sheldon’s, Adrift gave me an intense feeling of both thrill and adventure. I am always been a fan of the sea, however, I also am very afraid of it as much as I love it.

The story centered in the character of William, whose heart was very strong that he was able to sacrifice his own life in order to save others. During tough times, at the heart of the sea, the entire crew was tested. Big waves, strong wind, and cold weather were just three of the things that challenged them. They fought, as hard as they could and strengthen themselves to took away all their fears. The ship was slowly wrecking, the suspense was rising, Alaska was getting colder, and everyone’s life was in danger.

I liked the diversity of the characters in the book, my favorite was Travis because I could relate to him. Although he was impulsive, he was also kind. In my opinion, his character brought good impression in the book because it showed both his good and not so good side. In addition, Larry’s and Louise’s relationship were very practical and relatable in real life. Another good thing about was the way the author narrated the story, the setting was described well that I was able to picture out everything. Furthermore, the book was well-edited, so, I enjoyed my reading quite well.

What I disliked about the book is that the author repeatedly introduce the characters, for example, “Mark, the first engineer or Harry, the junior engineer,” this was not a mistake, however, I just find it uncomfortable. And, I noticed that there were at least two sentences that used too many commas. Aside from these, the book has no serious typographical nor grammatical errors. Because this book is almost perfect, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

I am, honestly, the type of person who knows a little about ships and I have fear of the big waves since I was a child. A childhood experience made me feel this way, I guess that’s what they refer to as trauma. That one experience I brought with me throughout my life, it pushed me to pick this book. Honestly, I was kind of terrified by the scenes on the ship. It made me realize that the ocean is really that terrifying, but then again, sometimes you have to face your fears in order to conquer them. Also, it made me visualize the beauty of sacrifice. Sheldon clearly made hid thorough research or perhaps, some interviews to support the story because he explained and narrated them so well. I found the book good for readers who seek adventure and thrill. And, if you want to know the meaning of sacrifice, Adrift is for you.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like imSunshine's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I love how you tied this story into your own personal adventures. Thank you for a very informative review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's very thrilling book with well-developed characters. Thanks for sharing personal experience. It's really hard to put yourself in a task with which you have had a bad experience. Thanks for this nice review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
imSunshine
Currently Reading:

Post by imSunshine »

Bluebird03 wrote: 25 May 2019, 17:57 I love how you tied this story into your own personal adventures. Thank you for a very informative review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!
If you read the book, i am sure you will feel the same. Thanks for droppin by.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:

Post by imSunshine »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 25 May 2019, 23:24 It's very thrilling book with well-developed characters. Thanks for sharing personal experience. It's really hard to put yourself in a task with which you have had a bad experience. Thanks for this nice review.
You are right in both points. Thanks as well for feedbacking.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Thanks for the engaging review! I also have limited knowledge about ships, but I didn't find that interfered with my reading experience. There were only a few words I had to look about for definitions.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:

Post by imSunshine »

Thanks as well, honey for commenting. Yes I could say that ship thing is very difficult sometimes especially when it is not our first love. Anyway, we both enjoyed the book and i think that is good.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Thank you for sharing with us , your review speaks volumes about courage. I hope one day you completely conquer your fear until then happy reading and reviewing.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

You were courageous in selecting this book to review. So, I'm glad you were able to face your fear through it. Thanks so much for the great review and sharing your experience with others.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

This sounds like a great book :) I was debating whether or not to read it, but you have me convinced to give it a try next! Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
imSunshine
Currently Reading:

Post by imSunshine »

Dragonsend wrote: 26 May 2019, 20:45 Thank you for sharing with us , your review speaks volumes about courage. I hope one day you completely conquer your fear until then happy reading and reviewing.
Thanks in return for feedbacking and positive wish. I hope the same for you.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:

Post by imSunshine »

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 28 May 2019, 02:58 You were courageous in selecting this book to review. So, I'm glad you were able to face your fear through it. Thanks so much for the great review and sharing your experience with others.
I am glad to hear that somebody said I am courageous, thanks! And you're welcome.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:

Post by imSunshine »

Letora wrote: 28 May 2019, 16:59 This sounds like a great book :) I was debating whether or not to read it, but you have me convinced to give it a try next! Thank you for reviewing!
That sounds great to me, I am flattered. Anyway, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”