Official Review: Fight for the Blue Planet by Derek Corney

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Fight for the Blue Planet by Derek Corney

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fight for the Blue Planet" by Derek Corney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fight for the Blue Planet by Derek Corney is an engrossing science fiction novel filled with adventure, action, and exploration. Throughout the narrative, readers are taken on a perilous mission in which they encounter different alien life forms and planets on the far reaches of the galaxy as well as advanced technologies.

One thunderous evening, Timmy, Adam, and Salma are visited by a mysterious entity who warns them about Earth’s impending destruction by an alien species known as the Targ. The Targ are an advanced extraterrestrial civilization infamous for plundering planets of all their natural resources. The kids also learn that they have been chosen to fight alongside another alien species who also aim to protect their planet from the Targ. Is that their only motive for summoning the kids? Is everything really as it seems? Will the kids and the friendly aliens succeed in their mission against the Targs and save Earth? Finally, will they all survive the high-risk mission and return home in one piece?

One of my favorite things about this novel is that the adventure begins early on, which had me excited to read the rest of the book. What’s more, the excitement for turning pages never wavered as the author’s creativity, imagination, and well-paced plot held my attention from beginning to end. Another aspect I appreciated is that the author incorporated just enough science to explain the way the technologies worked and the different super abilities of the characters. The inclusion of science added to the believability of the narrative.

The novel is well-written and has an important underlying message that is very much relevant to today’s world. The author’s excellent yet seemingly effortless writing style vividly sets the scenes and paints a clear picture of the characters and their actions. Additionally, the main characters are well-drawn and easy to like. In fact, within the first few chapters, I found myself drawn to some of the characters and quickly gaining a sense of attachment to them.

I particularly enjoyed the element of suspense and the unexpected plot twists skillfully weaved into the narrative. I also enjoyed the intense battle scenes filled with tension that kept me on the edge of my seat.

This is a highly entertaining and compelling read for its target audience (older kids); after all, two of the human characters (kids) in this novel are eight years old and the oldest kid is twelve years old. Certain elements of the story reminded me of the Spy Kids movies. All in all, this is an amazing book that parents will enjoy reading with their kids. Readers of all ages (especially teens and young adults) may also enjoy this one as much as I did.

The book appears to be professionally edited; I only noted about a handful of errors, such as a missing pronoun, misspelled word, and incorrect use of a past tense verb. Though using the dialogue tag ‘said’ instead of ‘asked’ when posing a question is a stylistic choice, every time the author used ‘said’ instead of ‘ask’, it stood out to me (taking me out of the story) because I personally have a major preference for ‘ask’. Nonetheless, this is an impressive debut novel that I’m happy to rate 4 out of 4 stars. This is a must buy for anyone with older kids who enjoy adventure, action, and stories that feature aliens and superpowers.

Fight for the Blue Planet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like any account that talks of saving our earth as it is very precious. Thanks for the wonderful review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Young adult science fiction is actually my absolute favorite genre. With such a high rating, this one sounds like it's something I should definitely pick up! I'm intrigued about why these kids were chosen and if they were able to save the world! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

Lately, I've been really into science fiction, so this cover and title really caught my attention. I like how the action starts off right at the beginning. Your description of the plot almost reminds me of The Forever War, but with kids. Thanks for the well-written review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The idea of the children working alongside the aliens is intriguing. You have to wonder how that worked out?? I appreciate your mentioning the science that helped everything make sense. This looks intriguing. Thanks for the great recommendation!
busisiwe5754
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-busisiwe5754.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by busisiwe5754 »

''Fight for the Blue Planet by Derek Corney is an engrossing science fiction novel filled with adventure, action, and exploration''.
I am not a science fiction book reader but thank for the review.
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

I like a read that starts to entertain its readers from the start. Certainly worth paying attention too. Thanks for the head's up!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I'm oddly reminded of Jimmy Neutron and his world saving adventure in his tv movie. That's actually a good thing because I loved that movie and I love what you described here. Aliens are always fun and this conflict with the Targs sounds like a rollicking good read.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This sounds like a great science fiction book for families. It kind of makes me wish my daughter were still young enough to enjoy having this kind of tale read to her.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”