Official Review: Backcomb & Tattoo by Shea R Embry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Backcomb & Tattoo by Shea R Embry

Post by srividyag1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Backcomb & Tattoo" by Shea R Embry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Backcomb & Tattoo by Shea R Embry is a book about friendship and secrets. The novel follows an elderly woman known as Aunt Mary Opal and her young friends - Rachael, Jesi and Nicole. Aunt Mary Opal is suffering from a terminal illness. However, she is unwilling to reveal it to anyone. She just wants her last days to be filled with young people and their joy. Therefore, she recruits three young women into a friendship club where they drink and create memories. Over the course of the novel, they have many misadventures and funny moments.

The story takes place over a period of one year. The lives of everyone transform tremendously during that time. Aunt Mary Opal is a mysterious and remarkable character. She harbours many secrets in her life and urges her new friends to keep certain things hidden as well. As the story progresses, we observe these friends weaving an intricate web with more and more secrets to cover up the initial ones.

This is a transformational story, and the characters develop through their association with each other. Nicole is a victim of emotional abuse who learns to take care of herself. Jesi avoids commitments initially but learns to trust others. Rachael repeatedly puts others’ needs before hers and she learns to stand up for her wishes. Aunt Mary Opal wanted her young friends to give her support and love. However, she affects the lives of everyone around her with positivity and warmth. The novel deals with weighty issues like assisted suicide and domestic violence.

The book is unique in many ways. Most of the characters are female, and the book passes the Bechdel test. The female characters primarily talk about each other and very less about the men in their life. Moreover, the story delivers many lighter moments, which are exaggerated by the author with comic effect. All the women in the story react in dramatic ways to sadness, happiness and laughter. They have tears in their eyes as soon as they get emotional. They dance when they laugh. They throw pillows and hug each other very often. Even though these felt a little strange to me initially, I got used to it as I bonded with the characters. As I reached the end of the book, their quirks seemed natural.

I could find only two grammatical mistakes in the entire book. I give Backcomb & Tattoo by Shea R Embry 4 out of 4 stars for the excellent editing, dialogues and character development. This is a page-turner and one craves the company of these women even after completing the book. Despite all the secrets they conceal, their love unites them throughout. There are some lesbian romantic moments. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys light-hearted novels with predominantly female characters. I would not recommend this to anyone who expects deep philosophical ponderings or heterosexual romance. Nevertheless, I would invite everyone to give this book a chance because as Aunt Mary Opal says, “Have fun, it's the best thing to have.”

Backcomb & Tattoo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like srividyag1's review? Post a comment saying so!
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I'm not part of the target audience for this book, so I'll probably give it a miss. I did enjoy reading your review, though. Excuse my ignorance, but I hadn't heard of the Bechdel test before and had to google it. Now I know and I'm glad I do - many thanks for that!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Good to see the Bechdel test mentioned, and that this book passes it! I'd never heard it applied to books before. This book sounds uplifting like a backcomb.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 02:06 Excuse my ignorance, but I hadn't heard of the Bechdel test before and had to google it. Now I know and I'm glad I do - many thanks for that!
I'd only heard it applied to films. Alarmingly enough, most acclaimed films fail it miserably.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

Sounds like a chick lit, doesn't necessarily need to contain romance, which I don't have an interest in. Thank you for this candid account!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I saw the cover and for some reason immediately thought of The Golden Girls. This seems like one of those books I wouldn't be able to put down. Reading about women empowering one another is a great thing. I assume that inevitably there will sadness in it, as the main character is terminally ill, but I'd still love to give it a try. Thank you for reviewing :)
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds quite intriguing. A story of friendship that changes lives like this one is always interesting. The secrets kept makes it that much more enjoyable. What are the secrets? Will they be found out? Thanks for sharing this one with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
busisiwe5754
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-busisiwe5754.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by busisiwe5754 »

Thank for the review, I am sure this sounds like a very interesting book but my goal is to actually read more non- fiction book. Through the review, this is what comes to my mind: we woman are very common in the way in which we share our emotions, we cry laugh and hug. It shows that we are loving human beings.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Sounds like an endearing story about the power of friendship. I like the idea that the main character decided to keep her illness a secret because I think she is able to have more of an authentic experience. Exposing her illness could hinder the light spirit of her friends. Great review!
srividyag1

Post by srividyag1 »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 02:06 I'm not part of the target audience for this book, so I'll probably give it a miss. I did enjoy reading your review, though. Excuse my ignorance, but I hadn't heard of the Bechdel test before and had to google it. Now I know and I'm glad I do - many thanks for that!
Thank you for stopping by to comment, even though you are not the target audience of the book.
- Srividya Giri
srividyag1

Post by srividyag1 »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 02:11 Good to see the Bechdel test mentioned, and that this book passes it! I'd never heard it applied to books before. This book sounds uplifting like a backcomb.
Oh yes, it is. Ever since I heard about the research done by Bechdel-Wallace, I have applied it to every piece of fiction I have read or watched. It is a very interesting exercise. I was sad to note that not many works passed the test. On the other hand, if the gender roles are reversed, many do. Thanks for stopping by to comment!!
- Srividya Giri
srividyag1

Post by srividyag1 »

Scarlet Nicoll wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 05:39 Sounds like a chick lit, doesn't necessarily need to contain romance, which I don't have an interest in. Thank you for this candid account!
It is chick-lit, yes. But it is also an emotional and uplifting read. Certain lesbian romantic elements are there. Thanks for the comment!!
- Srividya Giri
srividyag1

Post by srividyag1 »

Letora wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 07:22 I saw the cover and for some reason immediately thought of The Golden Girls. This seems like one of those books I wouldn't be able to put down. Reading about women empowering one another is a great thing. I assume that inevitably there will sadness in it, as the main character is terminally ill, but I'd still love to give it a try. Thank you for reviewing :)
Loved your comment, thank you!!
- Srividya Giri
srividyag1

Post by srividyag1 »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 10:20 This one sounds quite intriguing. A story of friendship that changes lives like this one is always interesting. The secrets kept makes it that much more enjoyable. What are the secrets? Will they be found out? Thanks for sharing this one with us.
Exactly!! All those questions will be answered in the book. Thank you for the comment!!
- Srividya Giri
srividyag1

Post by srividyag1 »

busisiwe5754 wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 16:09 Thank for the review, I am sure this sounds like a very interesting book but my goal is to actually read more non- fiction book. Through the review, this is what comes to my mind: we woman are very common in the way in which we share our emotions, we cry laugh and hug. It shows that we are loving human beings.
Of course, we are. And there is some research to prove that hugging releases dopamine :D I hope you achieve your goal. Thanks for stopping by to comment!!
- Srividya Giri

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”