Review by boardj -- The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
boardj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boardj.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Review by boardj -- The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by boardj »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sparrow" by Denna M. Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sparrow
By Denna M. Davis
Review By Jamie Board

First I just want to say this book was hands down, absolutely amazing! I loved every word!

Now that I got that out of the way, lets get right down to it.

The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis is about a sixteen-year-old girl named Amanda, who just got expelled from her high school and is suddenly sent to her grandparents with no warning or details on why. Believing it as punishment, her grandparents quickly explain it is not the case. As her grandparents grow more vague about why, Amanda becomes suspicious and is then led into her grandparents’ library room. Her grandmother, Rose, hands her a letter as her grandfather, Billy, unlocks a secret passage in the floor of the library. Rose then says the letter will explain everything and encourages Amanda to follow her through the secret passage with blind faith.

Having no time to back out or having her questions answered, she has no choice but to follow after her grandmother.

Amanda enters a world far, far different from Earth yet extremely beautiful. The world is called, “Emaji”. Her life is about to change, big time!

In Emaji, there are magical powers, your skin changes color, and so much more! The people who live there are called, “Emajians”. When Amanda meets the Emajians, she is showered in love because they have been waiting for her. They believe she is “The Sparrow” and will help save them from the evil villain named, Zorn. But little do they know that it is not Zorn who they should be afraid of. Someone else plays a much deeper and darker role in this book and her name is Rasha.

Luckily for Amanda, despite all the information that is loaded upon her and the fact that her destiny is already chosen for her; she has friends who are willing to help her and protect her.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because as I’ve mentioned before, this book is absolutely amazing! As I read the book, I felt connected to the characters, especially Amanda. She grew so much! In the beginning of the book, she wanted to get out of Emaji and go back to Earth and she made that quite clear! But slowly she began to love Emaji and the people there. She also begins to fall in love with her friend, Solomon, even though she swore to herself that she did not care about boys.

But be prepared when you meet Rasha in this book, she is a very scary person!

All in all, I would highly recommend this book, especially if you like Young Adult fiction! And honestly, this book is great for adults too, so don’t be shy! You will not be disappointed. If you do not have a book to read, make this book a high priority!

The Sparrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like boardj's review? Post a comment saying so!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I loved this book too! The culture of the Emaji people was well written, and I enjoyed reading about the magic they had. I believe the sequel may have just come out as well :)
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

I think Solomon's character was a bit disappointing. Zorn seemed a more strong character. Glad you like this book :D
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Character arcs are one of the best parts of books. It sounds like this book has great development for the main character.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”