What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Re: What are your thoughts on Sky's changing personality?

Post by DC Brown »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 08:53
Kelyn wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 12:52 Sky was a puzzle. He was many things, few of them good. At times he was very gentlemanly. Next thing you knew he was acting like Joe Ordinary trying to get laid. And of course, there was the somewhat stalkerish (and creepy) aspect. I'm sure I've left out other aspects as well. It was like he either had DID or the author simply wanted him to be everything for everyone and didn't do a particularly good job of making him anyone's anything. Thoughts?
This is how I felt about Sky's character as well. I don't know how Cynthia found his controlling ways endearing, but it left me scratching my head. I really didn't like his attitude. He tried to lay the sweetness on really thick, but it just ended up making him seem very weird.
When Cynthia met Sky and went to bed with him within hours, I was really 'mad' at Cythina. Then when Sky came up with after-the-fact contraceptives and all that, that was weird. But even weirder than that was his confession to the priest. Um, that makes me think he's religious, but how does that jive with contraceptives and ......... just too weird.
DC Brown

Post by DC Brown »

When Cynthia met Sky, I disliked him from the start. I didn't like the way he weaseled himself into her life. He seemed to know a lot about her but would not divulge anything about himself. Most of the things he did in the book were creepy.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

DC Brown wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 10:17
Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 08:53
Kelyn wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 12:52 Sky was a puzzle. He was many things, few of them good. At times he was very gentlemanly. Next thing you knew he was acting like Joe Ordinary trying to get laid. And of course, there was the somewhat stalkerish (and creepy) aspect. I'm sure I've left out other aspects as well. It was like he either had DID or the author simply wanted him to be everything for everyone and didn't do a particularly good job of making him anyone's anything. Thoughts?
This is how I felt about Sky's character as well. I don't know how Cynthia found his controlling ways endearing, but it left me scratching my head. I really didn't like his attitude. He tried to lay the sweetness on really thick, but it just ended up making him seem very weird.
When Cynthia met Sky and went to bed with him within hours, I was really 'mad' at Cythina. Then when Sky came up with after-the-fact contraceptives and all that, that was weird. But even weirder than that was his confession to the priest. Um, that makes me think he's religious, but how does that jive with contraceptives and ......... just too weird.
:eusa-think:

When Cynthia met Sky, I disliked him from the start. I didn't like the way he weaseled himself into her life. He seemed to know a lot about her but would not divulge anything about himself. Most of the things he did in the book were creepy.
I agree completely. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Something rubs me the wrong way with him as a character. I think the author was very inconsistent with writing him like when the author tried to portray him as this gentleman at the dinner one second and then he is smoking with I don't care about other patrons behavior... and that weirdness coming to her apartment very stalkerish and with all the plan b lecture. I just can make out what the author tried to do here?
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Jlprince26
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlprince26.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jlprince26 »

cpru68 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 02:05 I didn’t like his character at all. First, the way he shows up in Cynthia’s life was weird. And she goes to his apartment with him. I kept thinking of a vampire when I read the description of him at first. Like he was going to take advantage of her and dump her. Then it was the long syrupy letters. Needless to say, I thought he was odd, and her falling head over heels for him was even weirder.
I completely agree... I kept waiting for her food or drink to be tainted with some kind of drug so he could kidnap her and sell her on the black market... Sky is just all out weird, I can't fathom how she just went with him and was head over heals for him.
- "Our children learn from us, teach them well, teach them to read, let them be free, and most importantly let them be children." Jamie Prince
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 10:50 Something rubs me the wrong way with him as a character. I think the author was very inconsistent with writing him like when the author tried to portray him as this gentleman at the dinner one second and then he is smoking with I don't care about other patrons behavior... and that weirdness coming to her apartment very stalkerish and with all the plan b lecture. I just can make out what the author tried to do here?
I know! I think she just tried too hard to make him 'appealing' to everyone and ended up making him liked by no-one. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Jlprince26 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 17:00
cpru68 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 02:05 I didn’t like his character at all. First, the way he shows up in Cynthia’s life was weird. And she goes to his apartment with him. I kept thinking of a vampire when I read the description of him at first. Like he was going to take advantage of her and dump her. Then it was the long syrupy letters. Needless to say, I thought he was odd, and her falling head over heels for him was even weirder.
I completely agree... I kept waiting for her food or drink to be tainted with some kind of drug so he could kidnap her and sell her on the black market... Sky is just all out weird, I can't fathom how she just went with him and was head over heals for him.
I thought about that too! It was like "Ok, when's he going to slip some GHB (sp?) in her drink."
Shelly Caetano
Currently Reading: Altered Carbon
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelly-caetano.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Shelly Caetano »

Honestly, the entire plot between Sky and Cynthia made little sense to me. Sky comes across as a very creepy, dangerous man at first impression. I found it baffling that Cynthia was willingly pulled away to a restaurant and then happily went to the man's apartment. I ultimately got a dubious feeling and malicious intent impression on this character at first. Later, as the story developed, it's apparent that he doesn't have "malicious" intent, but he still comes across as a needy-overbearing stalker. Having known her less than a week, I found it peculiar he would send her so many letters, declaring feelings of love and begging for marriage. This character felt rushed, cliche, and overall unbelievable. I do not think that this character positively impacted the story.
DC Brown

Post by DC Brown »

Another thing I thought was extremely odd about Sky was his going to confession. There were no other inklings of his being religious. And it was also SO odd after seducing her within hours of meeting her. Just so weird and unbelievable.
DC Brown

Post by DC Brown »

Shelly Caetano wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 21:57 Honestly, the entire plot between Sky and Cynthia made little sense to me. Sky comes across as a very creepy, dangerous man at first impression. I found it baffling that Cynthia was willingly pulled away to a restaurant and then happily went to the man's apartment. I ultimately got a dubious feeling and malicious intent impression on this character at first. Later, as the story developed, it's apparent that he doesn't have "malicious" intent, but he still comes across as a needy-overbearing stalker. Having known her less than a week, I found it peculiar he would send her so many letters, declaring feelings of love and begging for marriage. This character felt rushed, cliche, and overall unbelievable. I do not think that this character positively impacted the story.
Absolutely! I couldn't believe Cynthia fell for him so quickly and I kept expecting that he would turn out to be someone who was trying to weasel his way into her professional life, not just her personal life.
DC Brown

Post by DC Brown »

Kelyn wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 20:25
Jlprince26 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 17:00
I thought about that too! It was like "Ok, when's he going to slip some GHB (sp?) in her drink."
Funny, I thought the same thing. Is he going to kidnap her? Weasel his way into her professional life? What nefarious purpose did he have in picking her up like that? And obviously, where was her head at when she allowed herself to be influenced by him?!!!
Tera_26
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 26
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by Tera_26 »

Sky from the first moment even though he is very gentleman, he is also manipulative and possessive, achievement in that way, take Cynthia where he wanted and she succumbed before Sky.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Kelyn wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 20:18
AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 10:50 Something rubs me the wrong way with him as a character. I think the author was very inconsistent with writing him like when the author tried to portray him as this gentleman at the dinner one second and then he is smoking with I don't care about other patrons behavior... and that weirdness coming to her apartment very stalkerish and with all the plan b lecture. I just can make out what the author tried to do here?
I know! I think she just tried too hard to make him 'appealing' to everyone and ended up making him liked by no-one. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us!
Yeah, you are right I like this "she just tried too hard to make him 'appealing' to everyone and ended up making him liked by no-one." may have to steal it for future reviews :idea: :wink2:
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 10:38
Kelyn wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 20:18
Yeah, you are right I like this "she just tried too hard to make him 'appealing' to everyone and ended up making him liked by no-one." may have to steal it for future reviews :idea: :wink2:
:lol2: Feel free to use it should the occasion arise!!
chiadeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiadeer.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by chiadeer »

Julie Petitbon wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 19:37 I did not like his character. I think the author was trying to make him charismatic and charming, but he came across as predatory and controlling. His overbearing personality made Cynthia appear weak and easy to manipulate, which seems to contradict her personality in other parts of the book. Both personalities were a bit all over the place, in my opinion.
Well put! I almost feel like the way Sky and Cynthia's characters interacted brought out the worst in each other if that makes any sense.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”