Official Review: Missed Memories by Alan Baker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Missed Memories by Alan Baker

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Missed Memories" by Alan Baker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In her final year of high school, Alexandra is dealt a tragedy that most teens would struggle to overcome. She loses her parents and six-year-old sister in a car accident which she miraculously survives. Immediately after the accident, Alex opens her eyes to see a man in a three-piece suit speaking to her family and telling them that their hours have arrived. In all of the confusion and shock, Alex has no idea that the consequence of seeing this man will change her life forever.

Azrael is the Angel of Death. He is the one that comes to collect a person’s soul upon their demise. The fact that Alex can now see this terrifying man is a burden that she cannot carry; especially alongside the enormous loss of her family. He is also perturbed, to say the least, about his sudden visibility to a human, and he taunts her relentlessly. Missed Memories is a story of life and, of course, death and the lengths people are willing to go to save the ones they love.

Alex’s grief for her family was tangible. Alan Baker, the author, describes her loss with such intensity that it was hard not to empathise. Although, conversely, this also made it difficult to understand the ease with which Alex moved on. By saying this, I mean she went to school, argued with friends, did normal things with her boyfriend. She overcame the death of her family rather well and rather quickly. Sure, she had a frightening deity following her that was invisible to the rest of the world, so given – she was preoccupied. But I found that the sorrow she felt about losing her family was almost crippling, and she moved on from it with relative ease, which was relatively implausible.

The characters in the book were all well developed and relatable. Although, they may have all fallen too well into moulds. The best friend, the boyfriend, the aunt and uncle, and the scary villain were all quintessential models of what those characters ought to be. The best friend was loyal and loving, the boyfriend, too. The aunt and uncle were concerned and devoted. Mostly, the black-eyed baddy kept telling Alex that he would ‘have her soul’. They could have done with some variety. This, however, did not take away from how much I liked the characters. It also made the story easy to read.

This book is steeped in so much mystery and intrigue that it made it hard to put down. I kept trying to guess at what was going to happen, and then being totally bamboozled by the events that unfolded. Baker definitely knows how to throw unprecedented twists into the mix. I love that I was kept on my toes throughout.

Having weighed the pros and cons of Missed Memories, I have come to a rating of three out of four stars. I thought the book rambled a bit and could have done with less of the in-between dialogue. It stunts the flow of the story when we have to read every conversation in full and hear about every step taken. It needs to be tightened up slightly in order for me to see it as a four-star book.

The editing was perfect, and I would recommend this to young adults who enjoy reading about the paranormal. Also, to people who like unguessable twists. There were one or two genuinely chilling parts to the book that raised the hair on the back of my neck, so beware to those who fright easily. Overall, this was an easy and enjoyable read.

Missed Memories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like an interesting story. I'm curious why Alex can see this Angel of Death. I can't imagine what a burden that would be on top of losing her family. It's too bad that there was a bit of unnecessary description that seemed to slow down the story. Still, it sounds like it's worth taking a look at. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
busisiwe5754
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-busisiwe5754.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by busisiwe5754 »

Thanks for the review. The title is a cath, it shows that the book is about death and memories that missed. I am not sure that this is my kind of book, I think that the story is too imaginative.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Despite the rambling dialogue, this sounds like an intriguing mystery that I would enjoy. As always, I enjoyed your review, Bianka.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Death of a loved one - in this case more than one - is an emotional theme for a story. This sounds like a book that would evoke a strong emotional response. I liked your description of the characters. Great review!
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I thought the premise of this book is great. But, if Alex is moving on from her grief with ease, which is completely unrealistic, I don't know whether this book will be worth reading. I mean, it's good that she's moving on. But, how can a high school kid just forget that she lost all of her family in one single instance? Even adults who have grief counselling might take ages for that. Having said that, I'm going to try it out and see whether the rest is okay. So, thanks a lot for your thoughtful review!
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

Could Death be playful? It seems like Azrael enjoys taunting the only living person who can see him. I'd love to see more of their interactions. It's a pity that the dialogues are redundant at times, but I still think this book would be interesting to checking out. Thank you for the review, I enjoy reading it a lot.
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

Interesting, but I really like to see how she copes up. Thank you!
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 09:56 This sounds like an interesting story. I'm curious why Alex can see this Angel of Death. I can't imagine what a burden that would be on top of losing her family. It's too bad that there was a bit of unnecessary description that seemed to slow down the story. Still, it sounds like it's worth taking a look at. Thanks!
I would definitely still recommend it! The unanswered questions kept me reading with HUGE anticipation :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

busisiwe5754 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 17:45 Thanks for the review. The title is a cath, it shows that the book is about death and memories that missed. I am not sure that this is my kind of book, I think that the story is too imaginative.
I is definitely imaginative - but very enjoyable :)
Thanks for stopping by!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cecilia_L wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 19:10 Despite the rambling dialogue, this sounds like an intriguing mystery that I would enjoy. As always, I enjoyed your review, Bianka.
Thank you Cecilia :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kdstrack wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 11:59 Death of a loved one - in this case more than one - is an emotional theme for a story. This sounds like a book that would evoke a strong emotional response. I liked your description of the characters. Great review!
I must say, I got teary-eyed a few times... I am a bit of a sissy though :)
Thanks so much!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 21:13 I thought the premise of this book is great. But, if Alex is moving on from her grief with ease, which is completely unrealistic, I don't know whether this book will be worth reading. I mean, it's good that she's moving on. But, how can a high school kid just forget that she lost all of her family in one single instance? Even adults who have grief counselling might take ages for that. Having said that, I'm going to try it out and see whether the rest is okay. So, thanks a lot for your thoughtful review!
Thank YOU for your thoughtful response! I don't think I would ever be able to get over my family dying...
Thanks for the comments :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

TuyetMai wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 12:13 Could Death be playful? It seems like Azrael enjoys taunting the only living person who can see him. I'd love to see more of their interactions. It's a pity that the dialogues are redundant at times, but I still think this book would be interesting to checking out. Thank you for the review, I enjoy reading it a lot.
Thank you so much for commenting! Death is not very pleasant at all :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Scarlet Nicoll wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 03:51 Interesting, but I really like to see how she copes up. Thank you!
Thanks for stopping by :)
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”