Your opinion on Cynthia's character

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Re: Your opinion on Cynthia's character

Post by DC Brown »

briellejee wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 11:12
BuzzingQuill wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 06:01
briellejee wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 22:55 Yes, I do share the same sentiments about Cynthia's character. Not just her though, but I do feel these things with the rest. Flawed characters are only good when they are well-written. I mean do the flaws contribute to the depth of her character? I don't think so. It just makes her shallow.
I agree, the other characters lacked depth a well. I think Sky had the potential to be a great character and I did enjoy Glenn's character at surface value despite lacking much depth
On another topic, I just agreed to someone that compared to everyone, Glenn seems to be the only one likable and fit well to the story. I had a good first impression with Sky but then he keeps on changing like, I don't even know what he is supposed to be. Ugh. It was frustrating.
I was thinking my favorite characters were the computer nerds, Tim and Garth. At least they had fun and got something accomplished!
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

WOW! Seems like we all felt the same about Cynthia! From the very beginning when she allowed a stranger to manipulate her into lunch and then going to his apartment! I mean really?? Her character was very shallow. I hated the way she treated Dan. She was an attention seeker, in my opinion.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I think one is a flawed character which I like too it makes them more realistic and one is immature. For me, Cynthia is written as an immature and uneducated teen and not like a grown woman. I was so annoyed with the sheer stupidity of her decisions. Okay so sure she cheated I don't judge but for her to need a man to think and educated her about unprotected sex made me so angry.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

There was nothing to be liked in her character as her behavior was exactly the opposite of what was expected from a woman who is the Head of the security of the senator. Being trained in martial arts and also using weapons she should have been a head strong female. But I found her to be lacking common sense too.
Jlprince26
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlprince26.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jlprince26 »

I agree with you. I don't care for Cynthia's character. I am confused as to why a woman would allow a man to basically take over her life after literally just meeting him. She allows him to to push her into the restaurant, allows him to keep her there under the pretense that his hired help has her car. Why would you allow a complete stranger to have control of your life, your vehicle? It makes no sense to me at all. To top it off she gives him so much trust that she is sleeping with him within hours of meeting and madly in love by the next day. I too am confused how this book made BOTM especially with all the grammar issues.
- "Our children learn from us, teach them well, teach them to read, let them be free, and most importantly let them be children." Jamie Prince
Shelly Caetano
Currently Reading: Altered Carbon
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelly-caetano.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Shelly Caetano »

I completely agree with you. I really didn't like Cynthia. I love flawed or complex characters in books. I can "dislike" a character but still love them in an appreciative way. I did not appreciate Cynthia. With this character, I was often baffled or frustrated by her actions or reactions. On the one hand, the author seemed to want to create a strong, independent female lead. However, Cynthia often comes across as invalid or incompetent, which negates the image the author is trying to create. I found the scene with the Sky and the contraceptives rather bizarre. What highly intelligent (she was supposed to be a chief investigator!) woman has no knowledge of contraceptives? I really disliked how Cynthia tried to convince herself that she was justified to cheat on Dan. I thought Cynthia was condescending and cruel to Dan when she convinced him that their intimate relationship of years was nothing more than a glorified friendship. Her character felt rushed and incomplete to me.
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Jo689 wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 10:20 Well Cynthia is definitely flawed. I feel like she has somewhat has a cunning nature to her side, and will cheat/take advantage of others to get her way. But on the other hand, she seems very brilliant. I liked the little love triangle scenario that she had between Sky and Dan. Was interesting.
Hmm nice point on the love triangle aspect, I'm typically quite over the love triangle scenario as it is a bit cliche and overused, but by having the main relationship that is Cynthia and Sky to have been birthed out of the morally questionable act of cheating was interesting, even though I didn't care for the way Mercer portrayed the cheating as somewhat justifiable.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I truly thought that she was written as if she were still in high school instead of a woman who has earned a job entailing such responsibility.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

DC Brown wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 21:37

I agree, the other characters lacked depth a well. I think Sky had the potential to be a great character and I did enjoy Glenn's character at surface value despite lacking much depth
On another topic, I just agreed to someone that compared to everyone, Glenn seems to be the only one likable and fit well to the story. I had a good first impression with Sky but then he keeps on changing like, I don't even know what he is supposed to be. Ugh. It was frustrating.
I was thinking my favorite characters were the computer nerds, Tim and Garth. At least they had fun and got something accomplished!
Tim and Garth developed masterfully and I loved them in the book.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I was totally turned off by Cynthia's character from the get-go, and may not finish this book. If I can't empathize or connect with the protagonist, I usually give up on a book. She's somewhere between a Mary Sue and a soap opera herione. :P :P :P
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

She acted much younger and more naive than the author portrayed her as being. As others have said, by 25 she would have known better than to go to Sky's apartment with him having just met him. And if she had any sense at all she would not have let him make her drink where she couldn't see it being made. Not knowing about Plan B is on the fence. That would (to me) depend on how she was raised, how open her family was about sexual intimacy and how experienced (or not) she was. The way she treated Dan was unforgivable and more the actions of a youth not wanting to get caught than of a woman being true to her heart. She should have told him. So..gullible, naive and immature.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I didn't likeCynthia's character by the end of the book. I had hoped to, but the more I read, the less I liked about her. What woman in her right mind is going to step out of her car to question someone, and then walk away, leaving her car unattended (and u-parked), in the middle of the road? Then just wander off with some guy she just saw on the street to have lunch? It seemed implausible, especially since this particular woman is supposed to be part of a spy network tracking terrorism(someone who should have it together pretty well).
Her cavalier attitude toward her romance and commitment to Dan was disappointing. The book is titled "Cynthia and Dan", not Cynthia and Sky.
In the end, she just registered as a more than flawed, and somewhat selfish and unfeeling character.
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

Julie Petitbon wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 19:43 I completely agree. She wasn't the most likable character. I hated the way she treated Dan. Very shady! I also didn't like how easily she was led by men. For example, who in their right mind would leave their car in the middle of the street and go have lunch with a strange (and pushy) man? And then go back to his apartment? For a woman that is supposed to be highly intelligent, she acts pretty foolish and puts herself in dangerous situations.
You've summarised it perfectly here! I didn't finish the book in the end because I just couldn't connect or empathise with Cynthia. I was completely put off of her character within the first few chapters after following a strange man and cheating on her boyfriend. Her behaviour didn't make sense to me, especially given her job and seeming intelligence. Perhaps if she had more redeeming qualities, I could have continued reading.
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

DC Brown wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 21:37

Huh, now that you mentioned it, Tim and Garth are much more likable than SKy and Cynthia and Dan. Lol.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

Cynthia was described as a great chief of security, investigator, and bodyguard. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of the characteristics associated with a person in that line of work. She knows that because of her job, she could be targeted; nevertheless, she decides to leave her car and keys with a complete stranger, allows another person that she doesn't know to prepare her drinks, and has sex without protection. Her boyfriend easily puts a tracking device in her car which is never discovered even though Cynthia is a security officer for a government official, and she just takes for granted the information about Sky without digging deeper. She was not only shallow but also naive, volatile, and careless.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”