Review by Jlprince26 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jlprince26
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlprince26.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Review by Jlprince26 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by Jlprince26 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a fantasy novel equipped with mages, kings, princes, lords, and of course, evil villains. Set in first the person view and the third person view, the story is easy to follow.

In the beginning, we learn of an emperor. Fearful his sons will turn against him, he separates and sends them to four islands. The lands of the princes flourished in the beginning, but just two short years later the sons become locked in war, each desperate to rule the entire chain of islands.

Born of the princes islands, Galen has just received his papers to travel to Voulhire. Knowing only war and famine, he is excited to learn he is the sole heir to his uncle's forge in Calem Magnum and be free from the destruction of the prince's. Once in Calem Magnum, his uncle's executor, Rowan is eager to help him learn and succeed. Galen is a grateful and humble man. He is determined to carry on his uncle's business and do whatever it takes to help the people of Voulhire.

Wilhelm, the King of Voulhire, is a great king loved by most. He does everything in his power to keep his people safe. After having dealt with a powerful, corrupt mage and a pedophile, the king appoints Eldus as the new lord over Hilport. Eldus, determined to make Hilport great again, sets out to build a new school and a church. Hilport is starting to flourish when the Riva attack and devastate the city once more.

Meldorath, a powerful corrupt mage, has been sentenced to a life of solitude on an island. Surrounded by marines and mages, the king and Eldus claim he is dead. Many people are doubtful and still live in fear. Meldorath has no intention of being trapped forever. He is determined to find a way to Caromentis, the magic world, and invade the cosmos, the physical world.

Many lives unfold throughout the book. It is a book filled with new beginnings, hope, lies, deceit, magic, and war. Written in the first person view, we can imagine ourselves as Galen, setting out on a new journey, eager to start a new life. Unfolding in the third person view, we can imagine Eldus's new chapter starting, his hope to bring peace and prosperity to Hilport as well as his fear of the past. While we meet different characters throughout the book, all set in either the first or third view, Matthew does a great job at narrating each character. The book is easy to follow, exciting and keeps you wanting more.

I found nothing in this novel that I did not enjoy. The characters are well formed and introduced. The detail throughout the book is perfect, not too much and enough to give the reader a visual. The story-line is well thought out and produced. With few errors, it was a pleasant reading experience.

An enjoyable read as well as being well written, I rate We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies 4 out of 4. I would not recommend this book to children for the graphic language and slight sexual comments. I would recommend it to mature readers who enjoy fantasy novels.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jlprince26's review? Post a comment saying so!
- "Our children learn from us, teach them well, teach them to read, let them be free, and most importantly let them be children." Jamie Prince
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! I've read the book and loved it! The We are Voulhire series is indeed addicting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”