Flow of the Book and Development of Characters

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
User avatar
heatherashley7
Posts: 11
Joined: 29 May 2019, 15:47
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherashley7.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Flow of the Book and Development of Characters

Post by heatherashley7 » 01 Jun 2019, 10:14

Admittedly I am only on Chapter 6, but is anyone else having a hard time with the flow of the book and the development of characters? So far I feel as if the author is jumping around in the plot. She is not providing enough back story or detail to really make me vested in the outcome. The character of Sky is very disappointing to say the least. One minute he sounds like a proper english gentleman, the next just your average guy looking to sleep with someone. Am I the only one who feels like this?

Hopefully this book will get better! :?

maggi3
Posts: 241
Joined: 03 Mar 2018, 14:30
2018 Reading Goal: 53
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Out for Good
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by maggi3 » 01 Jun 2019, 12:38

I agree. This book is part of a series, so maybe there’s more back story in the previous books, but I was also disappointed when I read it. You’ll understand Sky more at the end. I still didn’t connect with his character, but maybe you will.

User avatar
Ruba Abu Ali
Posts: 881
Joined: 01 Jul 2018, 09:47
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Short and not so short stories by Adrian del valle

Post by Ruba Abu Ali » 01 Jun 2019, 13:38

I won't rush into conclusions. But I hope I'd relate more to the characters as the book goes on. Not having read the rest of the series may play a role in my feeling there's more to the backstory than what's presented.

User avatar
heatherashley7
Posts: 11
Joined: 29 May 2019, 15:47
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherashley7.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by heatherashley7 » 01 Jun 2019, 17:08

Well I have finished the book and I was disappointed as a whole. I felt this book did not flow at all, it was very choppy with the transitions. At one point it seemed to skip days at a time for one plot but then reverse it self for the second plot.

Speaking of the plots I felt there were two major plots competing for attention, the actual Cyber War and then Cynthia's love life. Although the author attempted to intertwine them, it was poorly done.

You guys might be right about needing to read the rest of the series for the development of the characters, but in this book there was no development in my opinion.

At times I was unsure if the setting took place in England, with the "darling", "dear", and "dearie", or America since it was based around Washington, D.C. It also bothered me how one minute Sky was the perfect gentleman and than the next was more like a childish teenager. Example, calling himself "sugar daddy", and then upon meeting again in Glenn's office rushing to her and kissing her hands. I'm not sure about you but that does not scream manly, much less someone of high importance in the military.

Overall this book seemed like a good read for a teenager, minus the whole pregnancy and miscarriage.

What are your thoughts on Sky's multiple characteristics?

maggi3
Posts: 241
Joined: 03 Mar 2018, 14:30
2018 Reading Goal: 53
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Out for Good
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by maggi3 » 02 Jun 2019, 01:25

heatherashley7 wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 17:08
It also bothered me how one minute Sky was the perfect gentleman and than the next was more like a childish teenager. Example, calling himself "sugar daddy", and then upon meeting again in Glenn's office rushing to her and kissing her hands. I'm not sure about you but that does not scream manly, much less someone of high importance in the military.

Overall this book seemed like a good read for a teenager, minus the whole pregnancy and miscarriage.

What are your thoughts on Sky's multiple characteristics?
I wonder if the childish characteristics were intended to make him more relatable to younger people. It didn’t work out that way, though. I thought he came off as creepy and a bit obsessive to be honest.

User avatar
heatherashley7
Posts: 11
Joined: 29 May 2019, 15:47
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherashley7.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by heatherashley7 » 02 Jun 2019, 15:45

I completely agree with that! It also made him sound a bit weak in my opinion, I'm not sure if that makes sense.

User avatar
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1096
Joined: 14 Feb 2018, 19:21
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 83
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 229
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading: A Desperate Turn of Events
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Osteoporosis & Osteopenia: Vitamin Therapy for Stronger Bones by Bryant Lusk
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 » 03 Jun 2019, 02:01

I was disappointed with the entire story. I kept waiting for it to get better and it never did. I don’t read a lot of fiction, but I went ahead and read this one for the discussion of it. I couldn’t wait until I got to the end. The story and characters seemed fake to me throughout. It just wasn’t for me.
Everything happens for a reason...

User avatar
Stephanie Elizabeth
Posts: 900
Joined: 18 Jul 2018, 15:41
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 77
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Second time for love by Bruce Cooke

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 03 Jun 2019, 08:50

heatherashley7 wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 10:14
Admittedly I am only on Chapter 6, but is anyone else having a hard time with the flow of the book and the development of characters? So far I feel as if the author is jumping around in the plot. She is not providing enough back story or detail to really make me vested in the outcome. The character of Sky is very disappointing to say the least. One minute he sounds like a proper english gentleman, the next just your average guy looking to sleep with someone. Am I the only one who feels like this?

Hopefully this book will get better! :?
I agree! I am also on the same chapter and I am having a hard time connecting with the characters. Cynthia seems to be making irrational choices and I don't know anything about Sky's past.

User avatar
BuzzingQuill
Posts: 260
Joined: 10 Mar 2019, 13:51
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill » 03 Jun 2019, 15:10

I've finished the book in less than a day because I honestly found my self skimming through quite a lot of it. I honestly felt that the author focuses so much on stating what happens from scene to scene, we are prevented from engaging with character thoughts and feelings, I wish I could say this gets better as the book moves along, but it doesn't

User avatar
briellejee
Posts: 1418
Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 23:40
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by briellejee » 03 Jun 2019, 22:49

I wish I could say it improves, but I don't think so. Up until the very end, I still didn't develop any attachment to the characters, and Skys personality is inconsistent that I hated it.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

User avatar
Julie Petitbon
Posts: 307
Joined: 01 Apr 2019, 01:10
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 1886
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Namesake
Bookshelf Size: 612
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Silly Willy Apple Cake by Amelia Griggs
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon » 04 Jun 2019, 19:48

heatherashley7 wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 10:14
Admittedly I am only on Chapter 6, but is anyone else having a hard time with the flow of the book and the development of characters? So far I feel as if the author is jumping around in the plot. She is not providing enough back story or detail to really make me vested in the outcome. The character of Sky is very disappointing to say the least. One minute he sounds like a proper english gentleman, the next just your average guy looking to sleep with someone. Am I the only one who feels like this?

Hopefully this book will get better! :?
I totally agree. The characters are not overly likable, and the transitions are very choppy. It is hard to get through a book when you can't relate to, or at least root for, one of the major characters. I didn't love Cynthia, and Sky's character is all over the place. I am more than halfway through the book and am hoping it will get better!

User avatar
DC Brown
Posts: 206
Joined: 26 Jul 2018, 08:42
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 340
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream by Janice S. Ellis

Post by DC Brown » 05 Jun 2019, 10:23

maggi3 wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 12:38
I agree. This book is part of a series, so maybe there’s more back story in the previous books, but I was also disappointed when I read it. You’ll understand Sky more at the end. I still didn’t connect with his character, but maybe you will.
I still didn't understand Sky at the end. He turned out to be this super smart guy who knew all kinds of technology, but he was such a weirdo when dealing with Cynthia. I would've been creeped out if someone I'd just been with brought me contraceptives.

User avatar
DC Brown
Posts: 206
Joined: 26 Jul 2018, 08:42
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 340
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream by Janice S. Ellis

Post by DC Brown » 05 Jun 2019, 10:24

Julie Petitbon wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 19:48
heatherashley7 wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 10:14
Admittedly I am only on Chapter 6, but is anyone else having a hard time with the flow of the book and the development of characters? So far I feel as if the author is jumping around in the plot. She is not providing enough back story or detail to really make me vested in the outcome. The character of Sky is very disappointing to say the least. One minute he sounds like a proper english gentleman, the next just your average guy looking to sleep with someone. Am I the only one who feels like this?

Hopefully this book will get better! :?
I totally agree. The characters are not overly likable, and the transitions are very choppy. It is hard to get through a book when you can't relate to, or at least root for, one of the major characters. I didn't love Cynthia, and Sky's character is all over the place. I am more than halfway through the book and am hoping it will get better!
I've finished the book, so I don't want to put any spoilers out there, BUT the best characters in the whole book were the computer nerds. IMHO.

User avatar
DC Brown
Posts: 206
Joined: 26 Jul 2018, 08:42
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 340
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream by Janice S. Ellis

Post by DC Brown » 05 Jun 2019, 10:27

briellejee wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 22:49
I wish I could say it improves, but I don't think so. Up until the very end, I still didn't develop any attachment to the characters, and Skys personality is inconsistent that I hated it.
So glad to see you say that. I didn't like most of the characters. In fact, I thought the computer nerds and Glenn were the only characters that weren't all of the place, personality-wise.

User avatar
briellejee
Posts: 1418
Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 23:40
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by briellejee » 05 Jun 2019, 11:09

DC Brown wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 10:27
briellejee wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 22:49
I wish I could say it improves, but I don't think so. Up until the very end, I still didn't develop any attachment to the characters, and Skys personality is inconsistent that I hated it.
So glad to see you say that. I didn't like most of the characters. In fact, I thought the computer nerds and Glenn were the only characters that weren't all of the place, personality-wise.
True! Glenn, compared to Cynthia, was more likable and fit well to the story. Cynthia was like that character who loves to get everybody's attention that she became annoying.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”