Official Review: Exodus Of The Phoenix by Robert Stadnik

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Exodus Of The Phoenix by Robert Stadnik

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Exodus Of The Phoenix" by Robert Stadnik.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Humanity has tried to reach for the stars; but, each time a ship has attempted to leave the solar system, aliens have destroyed them. Humanity has had to content themselves with settling on the Moon (now called Luna) and Mars. Not everyone is satisfied with this arrangement, though.

Cadet John Roberts has always wanted to explore space. He is in training at The Academy, which is run by TERRA (Tactical Earth Reconnaissance & Recovery Authority), to do that very thing. Unfortunately, though, he doesn't have the best reputation and is continually challenging authority - all reasons why Superintendent Mortino is glad to share that Cadet Roberts will be one of the first members of the new TERRA reserves and will not be going out into space. To say that John was upset would be putting it mildly. Therefore, when he is presented with the opportunity to venture out into space after all, he jumps at the chance. Will John be part of the first ship to defy this alien contingency and escape the solar system? Or will TERRA stop them before they even leave the planet?

Exodus Of The Phoenix by Robert Stadnik is a thrilling science fiction adventure and the first of a series. The book consists of around 440 pages; however, the font is large and double-spaced, which makes for a quick read. There is some mild language and peril, but I would consider it appropriate for young adults up.

The plot of the book is relatively straightforward. Humanity wants to explore the world, but they must contend with an alien race before doing so. While there is some resemblance to Star Trek, the novel takes on a life of its own. The characters and situations are unique and enjoyable.

My favorite part of the book, beyond the new technologies and futuristic setting, was the author's ability to immerse the reader in the story completely. When the characters consider leaving Earth to possibly never return, I felt their anguish at having to leave behind those that they love. I found myself with tears in my eyes in reading their last conversations. I held my breath as I waited to see what the outcome of the conflicts would be. This is not a book that is easily forgotten, and I kept wanting to read more.

There was one minor downside to the novel; it was not professionally edited. The mistakes were not overly distracting, nor were they extremely plentiful. In fact, it took me 100 pages to find ten errors. These mainly consisted of incorrect words or tenses. For example, "finals exams" was written instead of "final exams". Once I was able to stop counting the errors, I stopped noticing them.

All in all, I very much enjoyed reading Exodus Of The Phoenix. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I was forced to deduct a star due to the lack of professional editing. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good space opera. Be forewarned, though, that there is a cliffhanger ending. I, for one, can't wait to read the next book in the series.

Exodus Of The Phoenix
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I can only imagine has sad those (possible) last conversations with loved ones were. Thank you for the heads up on the cliffhanger. Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bluebird03 wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 14:02 I can only imagine has sad those (possible) last conversations with loved ones were. Thank you for the heads up on the cliffhanger. Great review!
Thanks! It was an interesting book to be sure.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

My favorite part of the book, beyond the new technologies and futuristic setting, was the author's ability to immerse the reader in the story completely. When the characters consider leaving Earth to possibly never return, I felt their anguish at having to leave behind those that they love. I found myself with tears in my eyes in reading their last conversations. I held my breath as I waited to see what the outcome of the conflicts would be. This is not a book that is easily forgotten, and I kept wanting to read more.
Although I'm not usually a fan of sci-fi, your description here is quite compelling. Thanks for the recommendation.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a really intriguing plot line, and I’m glad the writing style was able to keep up with the premise. Hopefully the author will fix the errors soon!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

What an engaging and emotional story. I love books of this genre. I'm adding the book on my want to read bookshelf. Incredible review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Exodus Of The Phoenix by Robert Stadnik sounds like an interesting book. As a fan of science fiction I must read it. Great review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Shelly Caetano
Currently Reading: Altered Carbon
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelly-caetano.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Shelly Caetano »

It’s great to hear about a book that successfully emotionally impacts the audience. It’s unfortunate about the grammar though. Thank you for the review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 21:37
Although I'm not usually a fan of sci-fi, your description here is quite compelling. Thanks for the recommendation.
The author did a great job with the character descriptions. This is considered a space opera, so perhaps the author was going for authenticity of feelings. Either way, it was fabulous. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

unamilagra wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 21:44 This sounds like a really intriguing plot line, and I’m glad the writing style was able to keep up with the premise. Hopefully the author will fix the errors soon!
It really was a good read. At least the errors weren't TOO distracting. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Nerea wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 01:06 What an engaging and emotional story. I love books of this genre. I'm adding the book on my want to read bookshelf. Incredible review.
Thanks! I hope you get around to reading this soon and enjoy it!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kister Bless wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 01:55 Exodus Of The Phoenix by Robert Stadnik sounds like an interesting book. As a fan of science fiction I must read it. Great review.
I do hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

drifting dreamer wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 06:02 It’s great to hear about a book that successfully emotionally impacts the audience. It’s unfortunate about the grammar though. Thank you for the review.
Yes, the author was definitely successful in impacting my emotions. The grammar errors at least can be fixed. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a book that I would love to read, although the cliffhanger at the end deters me a little. Thanks for a great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Prisallen wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 08:07 This sounds like a book that I would love to read, although the cliffhanger at the end deters me a little. Thanks for a great review!
It'll just make you want to read the next one. :) Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”