Review by Scarlet Nicoll -- The Toki-Girl and the Sparro...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Review by Scarlet Nicoll -- The Toki-Girl and the Sparro...

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1" by Claire Youmans.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As a bird-child who faced a paramount loss, in despair, runs away from her turbulent dilemma that conflicts her life. With her brother and new-found friends, she has to establish her once stolen identity in this folktale from the Meiji era.

In Kyushu, modern Hakata, Azuki, shunned away by a man filled with greed has no idea about her mother and brother's whereabouts. Grief-stricken, she laments her father's demise while her mother plans her escape. Shota, as requested, waits on his sister's arrival but misses her due to an ambush. As it turns out, Shota has to face unexpected ordeals to bring his sister back. What does Claire Youmans have in store for Azuki and Shota?

In these 188 pages, The Toki-Girl and The Sparrow-Boy: Coming Home shows how these bird-children were left to perceive their world alone. It's the first installment of The Toki-Girl and The Sparrow-Boy Series consisting of 24 chapters, isn't a stand-alone read. Claire Youmans' combination of children folklore, political revolution, self-discovery, and historical fantasy in this undivided, attention-grabbing novel leads to an awakening reading experience.

Written from the second person's perspective, Claire Youmans bring out the value of sibling relationship through Azuki and Shota. The sheer raw form of independence strike upon their unripe age define the downright hardships that any kid, at given age, would face. Claire Youmans uses her characters to add value to her plot's contexts:
“There are three poisons called greed, anger, and stupidity. If one of these three gets hold of someone, it can consume a person’s heart, and that person will do bad and hurtful things. It’s never a good cause to hurt others, not even to one’s self (p.68)."
Claire Youmans' characters and storyline associates the heart of the medieval Japanese culture. The use of a monk as a religious figure imparts the importance that Buddhism play within their society. Leaving titbits of lessons to learn, Claire Youmans implore her reader's mind by, strolling with them, using her characters' words and actions:
"Unselfish kindness is a great gift (p.7)", or "it was wrong to take someone else’s things without permission (p.63)."
A delightful aspect involves the interior illustrations composed by young artists. Though ideal for readers of age between 8-to 18-year-old, adults too may enjoy this heart-warming read. The struggles etched reminded me of the idea, It's the Hard-Knock Life presented in the musical Annie (C. Strouse, 1977). Claire Youmans use of simple language to present an elegant flow allows her readers to swim in this storyline. There were titbits of confusing sentences that can be straighten with another round of deep editing: its pages needs to be re-numbered. Claire Youmans used a dramatic pause for her ending leaving the adventures of The Toki-Girl and The Sparrow-Boy to be continued in its next installment titled, The Toki-Girl and The Sparrow-Boy: Chasing Dreams.

As an engaging read rich with turbulence and clarity that will embark its readers on an unforgettable journey: it deserves 4 out of 4 stars.

The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Scarlet Nicoll's review? Post a comment saying so!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Bird-children grappling with spiritual concepts? Wow, that's an interesting notion! I have a free copy of this that I'd been meaning to read; thanks for the reminder.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

The characters are full of action and wow! I loved it.
The book seems interesting to read.
Thank you for the incredible and wonderful review.
The plot in the storyline is engaging and good as well.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

It kind of reminds me of Avatar: The Last Airbender, though I'm sure there are many differences when you take a closer look. Still, it sounds like the sort of stuff I enjoy: Japanese folklore, historical fiction, fantastical adventures... I'll try checking out the series at some point. Thanks for the review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a very interesting book, but, unfortunately, I don't like books that end on a cliffhanger. Thank you for a very interesting review!
Scarlet Nicoll

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 14:08 Bird-children grappling with spiritual concepts? Wow, that's an interesting notion! I have a free copy of this that I'd been meaning to read; thanks for the reminder.
Thank you for stopping by! I'm glad you found my review peak your interest.
Scarlet Nicoll

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

Kyoks wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 15:58 The characters are full of action and wow! I loved it.
It truly was. Thank you for stopping by!
Scarlet Nicoll

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

Tomah wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 16:29 It kind of reminds me of Avatar: The Last Airbender, though I'm sure there are many differences when you take a closer look. Still, it sounds like the sort of stuff I enjoy: Japanese folklore, historical fiction, fantastical adventures... I'll try checking out the series at some point. Thanks for the review!
I'm glad you found my review peak your interest. Thank you for commenting!
Scarlet Nicoll

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

Prisallen wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 11:03 This sounds like a very interesting book, but, unfortunately, I don't like books that end on a cliffhanger. Thank you for a very interesting review!
Oh, dear. I do hope you may cross the chances of reading it thought. Thank you for stopping by!
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

Scarlet Nicoll wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 05:27
Kyoks wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 15:58 The characters are full of action and wow! I loved it.
It truly was. Thank you for stopping by!
You're welcome.
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

Sounds like a good read to me.. Well- reviewed!
Scarlet Nicoll

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

Charlie19 wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 02:39 Sounds like a good read to me.. Well- reviewed!
Thank you so much for commenting!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

What an interesting premise. I've seen this book before when choosing a book to review and passed on it, but now, I might give it another look. Thanks for the great review.
Scarlet Nicoll

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 29 Jun 2019, 11:35 What an interesting premise. I've seen this book before when choosing a book to review and passed on it, but now, I might give it another look. Thanks for the great review.
Thank you for commenting! I'm delighted by my review's outcome in intriguing your interest.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”