Official Review: The Magical Kingdom of Ing

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Magical Kingdom of Ing

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Magical Kingdom of Ing" by Susan Brougher.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Kingdom of Ing is a happy land where fairies soar and play, and dragons and humans coexist in harmony. King Alexander and Queen Arabella kindly and devotedly tend to their subjects and perform their royal duties. But at night, Queen Arabella sighs and cries, for while she hopes and prays, the years pass without bringing a baby to the royal family. What is to be done? In The Magical Kingdom of Ing: An Enchanting Tale of Fairies and Dragons by Susan Brougher, the fairies are called in to help save the day in this sweet story about adoption.

My favorite aspect of this book was undoubtedly the illustrations. The pictures were beautiful, with colorful scenes that will draw in young fairytale-loving children. I also adored the message the book sent, as it introduced the concepts of adoption and orphans to a young audience. I really loved that it was the king and queen who were adopting, emphasizing that family is about more than just bloodlines, even royal ones.

As much as I loved the idea of this story, I did feel that the execution fell a bit flat for me. The story was told in verse, with a concentration on words ending in -ing to go along with the name of the kingdom. However, some of the stanzas rhymed well, and some did not rhyme at all, which I found a bit disorienting. I’m not sure if the Kindle version is laid out differently from the physical book and if that was the source of the problem, but it seemed that natural breaks in the rhythm were not distinguished by line breaks or punctuation. An example of one verse is:

“The dragons believing that a prince or a princess
they’d soon be needing sent whispers wide-
spreading into the forest and over the mountains
sprinkling on fairies skipping and playing.” (p. 14)

My other issue with the writing style is that some of the words and phrasing seem very advanced, and combined with the somewhat awkward rhythm of the story, it might be hard for young children to follow. Because of this, I’m having a hard time nailing down the best age range for this book. I think the pictures and the fairytale premise lend themselves toward a preschool audience, but the vocabulary and verse structure used would require older readers to really be able to get anything out of this book. I would say the best group would probably be early elementary schoolers who have not yet outgrown their love of the idea of dragons and fairies.

Ultimately, I rate The Magical Kingdom of Ing 2 out of 4 stars. If I could give it 2.5 stars I would, as the pictures and the message are beautiful. However, because of the issues with the awkward verses, I think a lot of that message gets lost. I would recommend to the author that she re-edit at least the Kindle version of this book to make it easier for the reader to interpret the intended rhythm of the verses.

The Magical Kingdom of Ing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like unamilagra's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Thanks for this honest review! Such disoriented rhyming might be confusing for children. I think this book should have been written in a story form instead of rhyming. So message could be made more clear for the early readers. It is good to see that the story focuses on adoption and promotes humanity. But I think this subject will be difficult to understand for younger children. Great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

It's a pity that there are so many formatting errors as this sounds like a really sweet idea for a story. Thank you for your fair and honest review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

The summary reminds me of The Sleeping Beauty somewhat. I'm glad that there are interesting illustrations and colorful scenes in the book, which is always a good thing in children's books. I also always appreciate the message, especially if it is well communicated to children as readers. It's too bad it's written in a strange verse.
Thanks for an amazing review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the idea of this story. Perhaps it would have been better told in free verse, though? Or not in poetry at all. I hope the author is able to take your criticisms to heart, as the illustrations sound lovely. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I see what you mean about the illustrations. The cover is beautiful. This is an interesting story line. Hopefully the author can implement some of your suggestions. Great review! Thanks.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Seems like a nice story aimed at a younger audience, with the themes of adoption being highlighted; so, its too bad about the awkward phrasing and word choice. Thanks for your review.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Beautiful illustrations and a hopeful message about adoption are great places to start; however, the errors you mentioned need to be corrected. Thank you for your honest review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I like the theme of adoption behind the story. It is too bad it wasn't done a little better. Hopefully, the author will fix the word choices and the rhyming issues. Thanks for a great review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 00:23 Thanks for this honest review! Such disoriented rhyming might be confusing for children. I think this book should have been written in a story form instead of rhyming. So message could be made more clear for the early readers. It is good to see that the story focuses on adoption and promotes humanity. But I think this subject will be difficult to understand for younger children. Great review.
Thank you for your comment and your compliment!

Rachel Lea wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 08:35 It's a pity that there are so many formatting errors as this sounds like a really sweet idea for a story. Thank you for your fair and honest review!
Thank you for the comment!

ivana7 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 09:46 The summary reminds me of The Sleeping Beauty somewhat. I'm glad that there are interesting illustrations and colorful scenes in the book, which is always a good thing in children's books. I also always appreciate the message, especially if it is well communicated to children as readers. It's too bad it's written in a strange verse.
Thanks for an amazing review!
Thank you for stopping by!

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 09:53 I love the idea of this story. Perhaps it would have been better told in free verse, though? Or not in poetry at all. I hope the author is able to take your criticisms to heart, as the illustrations sound lovely. Thanks for the review.
I agree another format would have been more effective in this situation. Thanks for commenting!

kdstrack wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 10:10 I see what you mean about the illustrations. The cover is beautiful. This is an interesting story line. Hopefully the author can implement some of your suggestions. Great review! Thanks.
Yes the pictures were lovely. Thank you for your comment!

Wyland wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 06:25 Seems like a nice story aimed at a younger audience, with the themes of adoption being highlighted; so, its too bad about the awkward phrasing and word choice. Thanks for your review.
Thanks for your comment!

Bluebird03 wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 14:17 Beautiful illustrations and a hopeful message about adoption are great places to start; however, the errors you mentioned need to be corrected. Thank you for your honest review!
Thanks for stopping by!

Prisallen wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 16:44 I like the theme of adoption behind the story. It is too bad it wasn't done a little better. Hopefully, the author will fix the word choices and the rhyming issues. Thanks for a great review!
Thanks for your thoughts!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

The story seem to have a lot to learn from. Sorry about the errors you encountered in your reading of the book. Thank you for the well-drafted review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I love well-illustrated books so much since I have become an aunt! But shame that these wonderfully-made pictures were matched with rather confusing verses not quite suitable for a children's book. Thanks for your honest and thorough review! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I really loved the message given by this book. Instead of fairies giving the royal couple a child, they are adopting. The plot is great. If the author had written it as a prose in simple language understood by kids, this would have been more effective and enjoyable. So, thanks for your thoughtful and honest review.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

I love how you've explained why this book, despite it's admirable premise and beautiful illustrations only got 2. I really enjoyed reading your review.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

Nerea wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 00:58 The story seem to have a lot to learn from. Sorry about the errors you encountered in your reading of the book. Thank you for the well-drafted review.
And thank you for your comment!

briellejee wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 09:24 I love well-illustrated books so much since I have become an aunt! But shame that these wonderfully-made pictures were matched with rather confusing verses not quite suitable for a children's book. Thanks for your honest and thorough review! :tiphat:
Thanks for stopping by!

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 13:28 I really loved the message given by this book. Instead of fairies giving the royal couple a child, they are adopting. The plot is great. If the author had written it as a prose in simple language understood by kids, this would have been more effective and enjoyable. So, thanks for your thoughtful and honest review.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Dentarthurdent wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 13:19 I love how you've explained why this book, despite it's admirable premise and beautiful illustrations only got 2. I really enjoyed reading your review.
Thank you so much for commenting!

Return to “Children's Books”