Official Review: Out of The Third World by Ashok Sharma

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Out of The Third World by Ashok Sharma

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Out of The Third World" by Ashok Sharma.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Out of The Third World, by Ashok Sharma, tells about the author's experiences, as an immigrant student in the United Kingdom. Sharma is an Indian born in Tanzania. In the late 1960s, he arrived at the Gatwick Airport in England with the ambition to become a medical doctor. He registered for A levels in a British college, and afterwards, he was faced with the challenges involved in getting admitted into a medical school. This book is chiefly about Sharma's survival in England, unveiling how he eventually succeeded in receiving "the certificate of full registration as a medical practitioner from the General Medical Council of Great Britain."

The book is coherent and easy to read. It has two sections, namely book one and book two. The first section is about how Sharma studied and passed his A-level exams, and section two shows his experiences in medical school. I appreciate the author's ability to describe events, places, and people vividly. What I like most is that the book feels like a novel. Sharma put his experiences together in a fictional form; there are narrative and intriguing dialogues. He provides a true story with a solid plot and interesting twists. Though the beginning is somewhat flat, it becomes suspenseful from the middle.

Being entertaining, the book provides a lot of information about the specialties of medicine, including the handling of some serious health problems. Hence, it'll be useful for those aspiring to be medical doctors, but if you're fainthearted, I advise you to skip it because it tells about the dissecting of human organs and the internal organs of surgery patients.

Furthermore, Out of The Third World features political and Third World immigration issues in the UK in the late sixties, such as "Enoch Powell's apocalyptic-sounding anti-immigration campaign." The book is engaging and full of valuable lessons. From one of the author's experiences, he learned a bitter lifelong lesson not to commit a crime at the demand of a friend because such a friend is worse than an enemy. I concur with that. Included in the story, in the second section, are Sharma's sex adventures, but there are no explicit sex scenes.

In conclusion, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It doesn't deserve less than 4 stars because it's fascinating and enlightening. Sincerely, I enjoyed reading it. It was well edited; I found just one grammar error and one spelling error. I recommend it to anyone in medical school or anyone who wants to venture into medicine.

Out of The Third World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Wonderful review! It sounds like a captivating story about working hard and reaching your goals. I really admire those who are able to become medical doctors, as it is a huge commitment of time and money!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've always been rather intrigued by medicine, so this might be quite interesting to me. On the other hand, I'm not really sure I care about Sharma's sex adventures (though, at least there aren't any explicit scenes). Thanks for the review of this one. Sounds interesting.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 12:56 I've always been rather intrigued by medicine, so this might be quite interesting to me. On the other hand, I'm not really sure I care about Sharma's sex adventures (though, at least there aren't any explicit scenes). Thanks for the review of this one. Sounds interesting.
My pleasure. For sure, the book is intriguing. Thanks.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Such a wonderful review! I would love to read this book about Sharma's survival in England, unveiling how he eventually succeeded in receiving the certificate of full registration as a medical practitioner from the General Medical Council of Great Britain.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 »

I love non-fiction with good narrative flow. This sounds like a book that I'd really enjoy. I don't really need to know about his sex life, but I guess that's part of his experience.

Thanks for a solid, descriptive review that helped me know what this book would be like.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It is quite a feat to get into a university in a foreign country. Just getting through the paperwork and the red tape merits a diploma! The author's story sounds inspiring. Thanks for the recommendation.
phills
Currently Reading: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by phills »

Out of The Third World" by Ashok Sharma
The story narrates of an ambitious student Sharma an Indian citizen but born in Tanzania as early 1960s
He arrives England with the ambition of gaining admission in a medical school and with the aim of becoming a doctor
The question is did Sharks actualise his dream the answer is positive.. The book have some emulatiing attributes which channels to determination and focus..

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”