Official Review: Invent, Innovate & Prosper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Invent, Innovate & Prosper

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Invent, Innovate & Prosper" by Michael G. Colburn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever viewed a simple invention on an episode of Shark Tank and thought, "Why didn't I think of that?" Although I have been described by others as creative, and I enjoy the creative process, I will confess that I have never considered inventing a product. However, after reading Invent, Innovate & Prosper: A Step-By-Step Guide to Successful Inventing by Michael G. Colburn, I am definitely more open to the idea.

The 272-page book is flawlessly edited and is by far, the most comprehensive how-to book I have reviewed to date. With over forty years of experience and inventions and business ventures worth over a million dollars, the author shares detailed instructions for each step of the process. He addresses everything from how to think like an inventor to defining the problem, inventing the solution, patents, troubleshooting, commercialization, and licenses. In addition to a thorough bibliography, he even provides sample forms at the end of the book. Interestingly, the author stresses that inventing is a skill that can be learned. “Any one of us with normal talents and determination can become an inventor.”

Perhaps, like me, you haven't personally considered the possibility of invention; I'd like to encourage you to keep an open mind for a few reasons. First, if the invention of a product simply isn't your thing, the author also explains how the inventive process can be applied by creators of music, art, and literature. Second, despite my initial hesitation to select a book about invention with close to 300 pages, the author's straightforward and encouraging writing style is quite engaging. I should also note that the book seems shorter, possibly because the final chapter ends on page 170; the rest of the book consists of profile discussions and appendixes, including the sample forms I mentioned previously.

Throughout the book, the author illustrates the importance of observation in the inventive process by sharing excerpts from Sir Author Conan Doyle's character, Sherlock Holmes, which I particularly like. He also ends each chapter with "Kernel of Invention" sections highlighting specific inventors. Although many historic inventors are noted, I especially enjoyed reading about Lori Greiner. She is currently known as the "Queen of QVC" and as a cast member on Shark Tank, but her first invention was a box for organizing earrings. She had to borrow the money to patent it and create a sample, but it "was picked up by J.C. Penney before one holiday sales season. About 18 months later, the earring product reportedly 'made her rich'."

There isn't anything I dislike about this comprehensive guide. I am pleased to rate it 4 out of 4 stars.. I recommend it to both readers who are interested in invention and creative makers who may not have previously considered it.

Invent, Innovate & Prosper
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your review is very encouraging. I reacted the same way you did - Invent?? ME?? This author seems to understand people's fears and doubts. - I have known people who had a creative idea, but they found the cost of a patent to be outrageous and couldn't move forward with their invention. I would be interested to see if the author elaborates on that at all. Thanks for your insightful review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 10:32 Your review is very encouraging. I reacted the same way you did - Invent?? ME?? This author seems to understand people's fears and doubts. - I have known people who had a creative idea, but they found the cost of a patent to be outrageous and couldn't move forward with their invention. I would be interested to see if the author elaborates on that at all. Thanks for your insightful review!
Exactly! Thanks for stopping by. :tiphat:
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Inventing things is always a daunting task but I'm sure the author makes it less so. Sadly, I'm passing on it because it's not really my cup of tea.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 »

This sounds like a fun and helpful book. I like Shark Tank and think Lori is great. Even if I never invented anything, I believe that I'd enjoy the book. I know I enjoyed your review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nisha Ward wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 09:33 Inventing things is always a daunting task but I'm sure the author makes it less so. Sadly, I'm passing on it because it's not really my cup of tea.
Thanks for stopping by, Nisha.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

CyndiA1 wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 13:14 This sounds like a fun and helpful book. I like Shark Tank and think Lori is great. Even if I never invented anything, I believe that I'd enjoy the book. I know I enjoyed your review.
I loved reading about Lori's first invention. Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
SierraHolloway
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by SierraHolloway »

Shark Tank has become one of our family's favorite series as we are all entrepreneurs at heart. Your review of this book stirred me and grabbed my attention, causing me to ask myself why I've not already downloaded it to begin diving into the possibilities. Based on your review I am motivated and encouraged that this book is one for my bookshelf.
Clemens Nickleby
Favorite Book: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Currently Reading: Free Plants for Everyone
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clemens-nickleby.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Clemens Nickleby »

This one is going into the bookshelves. It sounds fantastic. Once again, thank you for another great review.
Truth is stranger than Fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't. Mark Twain
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

Your review is really illustrative and one to learn from. Definitely inventing is really good and this book help us discover our deeper potentials and work towards achieving our goals.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”