Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Post by Sahansdal »

GPM wrote: 09 May 2019, 21:17 I am tempted to read the book because some readers have commented that the author has insufficient basis for his claims.
Hi. I am the author. The book is only 100 pages. You should be able to read it in 2 days. Hope you do, my friend.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

eastandalchemy wrote: 09 May 2019, 10:11 No it doesn't. It only makes me want to dig deeper into the history of my spiritual beliefs and acknowledge that there are many versions and interpretations of a story.
Well, that surely is something good! - the Author
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

amjohnson13mommy wrote: 07 May 2019, 13:29 So what if Judas was a traitor or not? Ancient history!
I have no religious beliefs one way or the other and I doubt this story would change anyone's beliefs, religious or not.
Christianity is enormously impactful in our culture. This shows it is fictional, not historical.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

MsTri wrote: 07 May 2019, 19:22
AKShanmar12 wrote: 01 May 2019, 17:16 I'm going to pass on this one. While I make a point of NOT avoiding things that disagree with my beliefs, I also don't want to waste the amount of time that reading a whole book would take. Based on the other reviews, it sounds like the author is starting at such a different perspective than my own, I believe that the book would just irritate me. I would rather read something I enjoy!
You took the words right out of my mouth! I feel like I need a shower, just thinking about reading this book!
Excuse me? - the Author
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

librarygurlz wrote: 04 May 2019, 16:56 No, this book did not so much as make my beliefs tremble. The truth is that Judas knowingly betrayed Jesus, a person he should have held in the highest regard. Nothing can change that fact. Anyway, if your faith can be shaken by a book, you need to do some personal reflection and meditation.
The betrayal is not a fact. I thought I proved that. - the Author
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

aolayide wrote: 05 May 2019, 09:12 This book did not change my belief and my faith is intact. Judas felt guilty for betraying Jesus and he committed suicide because his guilt was eating at him. He did not sacrifice himself. However, Jesus sacrificed himself for the world. The death of Judas and Jesus are far apart and cannot be compared.
According to the biblical Gospels, Judas felt guilt. It doesn't mean he did, or that he even existed. The gnostic texts are as valid, or rather, more so, than the biblical ones.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

It doesn't because this book is based on a relegated book that was found not fit for purpose when the Bible was being compiled, so nothing has changed even now.
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 29 May 2019, 14:59
Ronel_Steyn wrote: 27 May 2019, 03:36 I started reading the official review posted. I read halfway through the first paragraph and stopped. I wasn't interested anymore. I disagree with the idea, the concept, everything. I don't believe this book would influence true believers.
The question I want to ask you is what guides "true believers?" A booķ, just like this whose only advantage is that it was written first, as as such had enough time to garner global followers. One's religious beliefs should instinctual, intimate- like the beloef of right versus wrong, light against dark. This book has made me question the foundation of basing religious beliefs in books.
What guides "true believers?" The Holy Spirit.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I think what makes the belief alive and meaningful is how you make it. Anything, be it a situation or act of violence or deceit, even a living organism or a stone will be what you discern from it. Otherwise it just is.
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

I think that for most people, their faith would be too strong to be altered by one book. The most that it can hope to achieve would be to get people thinking or challenging their faith. Once people start thinking more in-depth about their faith this can bring revelations.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

The push/pull of personal faith and the consideration of new ideas is interesting to me, but this book hasn't changed the way I view Christianity or religion in general.
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

The book does not change one's religion but the perception about Judas's action in the implementation of God's plans of letting Jesus die on the cross for our sins and bring back man's dominion of the earth.
George Owino Genga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by George Owino Genga »

I can't lie, this can't change my religion or beliefs .Jesus Christ dying on the cross was meant to be through thick and thin( betrayal). I'm strong enough in my Faith and to any confusion.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

No it doesn't changes anything to me, after all I considered it a book to read simply.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Ronel_Steyn wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 04:46
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 29 May 2019, 14:59
Ronel_Steyn wrote: 27 May 2019, 03:36 I started reading the official review posted. I read halfway through the first paragraph and stopped. I wasn't interested anymore. I disagree with the idea, the concept, everything. I don't believe this book would influence true believers.
The question I want to ask you is what guides "true believers?" A booķ, just like this whose only advantage is that it was written first, as as such had enough time to garner global followers. One's religious beliefs should instinctual, intimate- like the beloef of right versus wrong, light against dark. This book has made me question the foundation of basing religious beliefs in books.
What guides "true believers?" The Holy Spirit.
Very succinctly put.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”