Official Review: Lipstick Money by Anastacia Snelleksz

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Official Review: Lipstick Money by Anastacia Snelleksz

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lipstick Money" by Anastacia Snelleksz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From time to time, I see articles about pole dancing. These stress that such dancing can be considered a sport in a way far removed from any sleazy image. It requires great skill, and no doubt pole dancers experience that grounded thrill that comes from working out the core muscles. A key theme of Lipstick Money by Anastacia Snelleksz is dance performance in the context of the adult industry. This fictional work also revolves around the dancers’ strong cores – figuratively no less than literally.

The story is told in the first person by its young Australian heroine Natasha Ray who has come to Japan to work as a hostess at the Willow Club. Upon arrival, she is promptly rechristened Jade and told that she will not be able to eat in the club restaurant except at the invitation of important clients. Initially, her job is to entertain clients by conversing with them at their tables, ensuring that they order plenty of champagne, and to give lap dances. She is also expected to perform onstage, but this is not an establishment where men shove bills into girls’ G-strings as that would be disrespectful. However, Jade is warned that she should only ever refuse a lap dance if she doesn’t want to work for the Willow Club any more. Therefore, it is not clear how far the respect goes or to what extent she will be protected.

It is a naïve and vulnerable Natasha who first lands in Tokyo. The lack of virtually any backstory left me as disoriented as she is after her ten-hour flight. The description of her apartment with room for nothing but a shared futon drew me in, though. More is revealed about Natasha's life before Japan as she navigates her new life as Jade. Her roommate Brandi is hostile, but first-rate hostess Sasha takes Jade under her wing. The book presents a fascinating examination of both competitiveness and support among women. It considers their relations with their male clients, for whom money is often no object. I appreciated the way the book got me thinking about the adult industry from many angles. The author paints a vivid picture of female prowess and of the empowerment that flows from owning and rejoicing in one’s sensuality.

The examination of sexuality has some specific cultural aspects by dint of the Japanese setting. Jade learns of the priority accorded to female carnal pleasure. She is introduced to a collection including samurai women’s sex toys and a painting of a woman indulging in tentacle sex. The wealth of detail in the book was most stimulating.

Jade’s learning experiences go hand in hand with her burgeoning confidence. In that regard, the book is strongly character driven. Jade is blossoming in her own right when a romance starts to gather force. The romance itself is the stuff of dreams and features a plot twist that I'm still marvelling at. Apart from this, though, the book has the downside that the plot is sometimes contrived. Jade might be reflecting on male and female roles, for example, and then other characters come along and parrot her thoughts. Often, a character shows up at just the right or wrong moment to play some plot-related role; this is clumsy.

This could be improved through another round of editing, which is also required in that the book contains many errors throughout. Typos were not a problem, but there were many missing words and homophone errors, for example. Since this book is powerful and sexy but has certain flaws, I rate it three out of four stars. It comes highly recommended to mature adults who would enjoy the inspiring tale of a young woman who learns and grows, claiming rewards on her quest for herself. It’s not for you if you dislike erotic content, and readers are advised that it includes some sexual violence.

Lipstick Money
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ButterscotchCherrie's review? Post a comment saying so!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Is this the one with fake Rolexes? Can sex workers in Japan afford bling? I'm intrigued about the tentacle sex. What on Earth is that? Maybe I'll try this book even though I don't wear lipstick.

Superb review, Alice!
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

Thank you for the review. It sounds like an uplifting and inspiring women's fiction book with plenty of character's growth.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Weirdly, I like these kinds of stories, so I'll definitely check this one out. I'm curious as to how Natasha/Jade navigates the adult entertainment world in Japan (Is that even the right term for it?).
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 04:24 Is this the one with fake Rolexes? Can sex workers in Japan afford bling? I'm intrigued about the tentacle sex. What on Earth is that? Maybe I'll try this book even though I don't wear lipstick.

Superb review, Alice!
Yes, that's the one! Sasha tells Jade to "spot the watch" to identify the richer clients. The girls make an amazing amount of money for doing very little sometimes.
One of the subjects of traditional Japanese erotica is women having sex with octopuses. There is a great passage in the book about The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dream ... n%27s_Wife. I do recommend this, lipstick or no.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

TuyetMai wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 11:49 Thank you for the review. It sounds like an uplifting and inspiring women's fiction book with plenty of character's growth.
It is just that. Thank you for your comment.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Nisha Ward wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 12:38 Weirdly, I like these kinds of stories, so I'll definitely check this one out. I'm curious as to how Natasha/Jade navigates the adult entertainment world in Japan (Is that even the right term for it?).
It's a great story. The term "adult industry" is used in the book. There are definite rules in place in the club, such as no touching during lap dances. One still doesn't feel that confident about the girls' safety in all circumstances though, and this angle is thoroughly explored in the book.
Mod
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

While this isn't my typical genre to read, you make the story sound very appealing. I would be interested in reading more about the exploration of competitiveness and support between women. Loved your review!
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Bluebird03 wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 17:23 While this isn't my typical genre to read, you make the story sound very appealing. I would be interested in reading more about the exploration of competitiveness and support between women. Loved your review!
It was more about support overall. Thanks for your comment!
Mod
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 14:44
Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 04:24 Is this the one with fake Rolexes? Can sex workers in Japan afford bling? I'm intrigued about the tentacle sex. What on Earth is that? Maybe I'll try this book even though I don't wear lipstick.

Superb review, Alice!
Yes, that's the one! Sasha tells Jade to "spot the watch" to identify the richer clients. The girls make an amazing amount of money for doing very little sometimes.
One of the subjects of traditional Japanese erotica is women having sex with octopuses. There is a great passage in the book about The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dream ... n%27s_Wife. I do recommend this, lipstick or no.
Well, I'm not quite sure if this is fascinating or horrifying! I suppose we live and learn...
I've tried pole dancing once (once being the operative word) and it was impossible. I have huge respect for people that are able to master it - especially after I fell on my face a few times.
I loved your review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

[/quote]

Well, I'm not quite sure if this is fascinating or horrifying! I suppose we live and learn...

I've tried pole dancing once (once being the operative word) and it was impossible. I have huge respect for people that are able to master it - especially after I fell on my face a few times.
I loved your review :)
[/quote]

Jade is told that it's more of a fantasy and relates to ensuring women have a good time during sex. She finds that refreshing. Kudos to you for giving pole dancing a go. I'd love to be able to do it, but I'm sure it would be a major challenge as I lack a head for heights.

Thank you for stopping by!
Mod
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

This book reveals a lot about the Japanese comfort industry. Some of the description such as tentacle sex I’m hearing them for the first time. Thanks for the review.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Wyland wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 01:52 This book reveals a lot about the Japanese comfort industry. Some of the description such as tentacle sex I’m hearing them for the first time. Thanks for the review.
Yes, it was quite educational in some ways. Thanks for reading and commenting, and welcome to the site!
Mod
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This isn't my type of novel, though the Japanese setting is intriguing. Great review, but I'm going to have to pass.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 13:23 This isn't my type of novel, though the Japanese setting is intriguing. Great review, but I'm going to have to pass.
It's not for everyone; thanks for stopping by though!
Mod

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”