Official Review: Walking The Razor's Edge: The Dutchman a...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: Walking The Razor's Edge: The Dutchman a...

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Walking The Razor's Edge: The Dutchman and The Baron" by Tommy and Hilde Wilkens.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four out of four stars – a well-deserved score for Walking The Razor's Edge: The Dutchman and The Baron, by Tommy and Hilde Wilkens. I would recommend this book to readers worldwide who are interested in the mysterious and tragic events of November 22, 1963 – the murder of President John F. Kennedy by Lee Harvey Oswald, who is commonly believed to have had “no assistance and no influence from anyone or any group.” In opposition to this official version, countless theories of a conspiracy have been brought forth over the years. The authors wiped the dust from the archives of Willem Oltmans, a Dutch investigative journalist, and revive the breathtaking emotions that Oltmans experienced in his close relationship with one of the most enigmatic individuals that circulate in and around the world of crime, the Baron George de Mohrenschildt.

The book’s illustrations brought to life the characters of the ’60 and ’70 involved in this enigma, and the true story threatened to draw me into cahoots with those who still attempt to crack the “wall of secrecy” which surrounds this prodigious case. A certain photo of one of these personages made chills run down my spine, so if you’re sensitive to images of the soul’s empty housing, I suggest avoiding this one. The Wilkenses analyzed the Dutchman’s personal and professional notes, thoroughly assembling “the hidden facts behind the crime.”

This book contained some minor editorial errors of punctuation and spelling which, honestly, I wouldn’t have noticed if I hadn’t been looking for them, and I confess that it was difficult to focus on the rules of language, considering that the FBI, CIA and French and German Intelligence seemed to be breathing down my neck as Oltmans was drew closer to the behind-the-scenes details of the assassination.

This historical manuscript is a page-turner that kept me on edge right to the last word. Was Lee Harvey Oswald just a patsy, as he claimed? Did he have a controller? Under what circumstances did George de Mohrenschildt get involved? The in-depth research and extensive analysis of the authors were impressive, based on the insights from the Dutchman’s ten-year investigation regarding the greatest crime of the 20th century.

Tommy and Hilde Wilkens accomplish a remarkable task in describing all the implicated characters. The struggles and threats that Willem Oltmans faced were intense, only to sustain the fundamental premise of his journalism career: to bring to light the truth, regardless of the repercussions. Walking The Razor's Edge: The Dutchman and The Baron was a tense and vivid tour de force. I hope for a sequel. Although it’s difficult to bring out the full flavor of achieving the complete truth, the Wilkenses’ presentation woke up my detective side.

Was there really someone behind President Kennedy’s assassination? And if so, who was it?

Walking The Razor's Edge: The Dutchman and The Baron
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like InStoree's review? Post a comment saying so!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

It seems that this is a very intriguing and somewhat controversial book that is definitely not for everyone, especially taking into consideration mentioned illustrations. Thanks for an excellent review!
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I like a good conspiracy theory, so I might give this book a try. Thank you for an informative review!
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

You had me with the Souls empty housing, lol! I have never been one for conspiracy theories, but having recently read a book on this exact subject. I am now curious. Your review has convinced me this will be my next book on the subject. What a great review, I will be happy to share it!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

There have been so many questions regarding the assassination of President Kennedy. I'm curious what the author has to say about it, especially as this is such a page-turner. Still, I'm not sure I'm curious enough to read this 400 page book. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

ivana7 wrote: 29 May 2019, 05:05 It seems that this is a very intriguing and somewhat controversial book that is definitely not for everyone, especially taking into consideration mentioned illustrations. Thanks for an excellent review!
Yes, Oltmans' journal cooks up a different perspective. If you consider that the certain photo is not disturbing, maybe you can give the book a chance. Thank you for your kind words.
Brendan Donaghy wrote: 29 May 2019, 08:07 I like a good conspiracy theory, so I might give this book a try. Thank you for an informative review!
I hope you'll find it thought-provoking. Thanks for your comment!
Janalyn101 wrote: 29 May 2019, 08:45 You had me with the Souls empty housing, lol! I have never been one for conspiracy theories, but having recently read a book on this exact subject. I am now curious. Your review has convinced me this will be my next book on the subject. What a great review, I will be happy to share it!
The forensic photo of one of the involved characters might ignite the criminalistics' flame that some of us have. I know that mine, naturally, is activated in circumstances like this book presents. I'm also curious about the book that you just read. Maybe you can share it? Thank you for taking the time to read my review and for your support!
kandscreeley wrote: 29 May 2019, 09:43 There have been so many questions regarding the assassination of President Kennedy. I'm curious what the author has to say about it, especially as this is such a page-turner. Still, I'm not sure I'm curious enough to read this 400 page book. Thanks for the review, though.
I had the PDF version with 188 pages, which was a pretty acceptable read, regarding the length of the book. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
~Tayma Tameem
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I have always been intrigued by the assassination of the President Kennedy so I think I'll check this one out. Thanks for the nice review.
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Wyland wrote: 31 May 2019, 07:46 I have always been intrigued by the assassination of the President Kennedy so I think I'll check this one out. Thanks for the nice review.
Thank you for your comment, Wyland! I hope you'll enjoy it!
~Tayma Tameem
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is a topic that interests me. I love the suspense you have weaved into your review!! I am looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for this intriguing recommendation!
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

kdstrack wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 10:23 This is a topic that interests me. I love the suspense you have weaved into your review!! I am looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for this intriguing recommendation!
Thank you for your kind words and your time! The book does have that spark that gets you thinking. Happy reading!
~Tayma Tameem
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for your review. It seems like a very interesting book. Conspiracies, assassinations and forensic photos make great reading for those wanting more information. I think I may read it in the future. :D :D
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

KDJ wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 22:13 Thank you for your review. It seems like a very interesting book. Conspiracies, assassinations and forensic photos make great reading for those wanting more information. I think I may read it in the future. :D :D
I hope you'll give it a try. There are high chances to find it quite intriguing if the subject appealed you. I appreciate your comment! 🙂
~Tayma Tameem
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I like your colourful tone and the way you make the information behind the conspiracy theory sound so compelling.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I'm not an American and I don't recognise anyone in the cover. So, I would have definitely skipped this book just looking at the book cover an thinking it to be something uninteresting. But, thanks to you, now I'm interested in reading this book and can't wait to figure out what happened to JFK. So, thanks again for the lovely review.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I'm not an American and I don't recognise anyone in the cover. So, I would have definitely skipped this book just looking at the book cover an thinking it to be something uninteresting. But, thanks to you and your review, now I'm interested in reading this book and can't wait to figure out what happened to JFK. So, thanks again for the lovely review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”