Official Review: Beyond Petra by Mohamed Abueljebain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Beyond Petra by Mohamed Abueljebain

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beyond Petra" by Mohamed Abueljebain.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beyond Petra by Mohamed Abueljebain is a non-fiction story about a young Jordanian man who had a dream of immigrating to the United States. After failing to obtain a visa, he decided to immigrate illegally.

Monzy felt he was a failure in his father eyes. He studied to be a hair stylist, instead of working alongside his father on the family farm. Monzy loved his country, but he wanted something more. His love of American movies, especially the Rocky series, inspired him to imitate his hero. He would never give up on his dream. Monzy would do whatever it took to make the trip to the United States.

A customer who came in for a haircut was Monzy's initial contact to begin his odyssey to fulfill his dream. He traveled by plane, bus, and boat. Will the coyotes get him across the border? Can Monzy fulfill his dream or will his nightmares become his reality?

I found this story to be entertaining and educational. The author showed what extremes people will put themselves through to get into the United States. The immigrant leaves their family behind, risks their life to reach a different country, puts their trust in unknown people, and hopes everything will have a happy ending. Their distrust of strangers, fear for their safety, hunger, loneliness, and homesickness begin to feel normal.

I enjoyed the author's descriptions of life in his natal country. He talked about typical Jordanian foods, traditions, customs, and sayings. These descriptions continued as he traveled through Turkey, Greece, and beyond. The author also included historical information about Jordan and Petra.

There were two things I disliked about this book. The first was the numerous grammar mistakes. Incorrect verb forms and misspelled words, such as "quite" for "quiet," frequently appeared in the text. The second was the way the story would present time jumps without any indication to alert the reader. A simple chapter heading would help readers realize when the story had transitioned from the present to the past.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. This compelling story offers readers a window into the mindset of an illegal immigrant. The description of the journey and the historical notes hold the reader's interest throughout the book. I lowered the score due to the numerous grammar errors and the absence of any indication of time jumps. This book would appeal to readers who want to understand the motivation behind the risks taken by illegal immigrants. People who want to learn more about Jordan's landscape, especially Petra, and the typical foods and customs of this country would like this book. Readers who are triggered by stories about illegal immigrants may want to pass on this one.

Beyond Petra
View: on Bookshelves

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's quite heartbreaking when people's circumstances force them into odd choices. Thank you for your honest review of this story.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

This sounds interesting. I might be willing to look past the editing issues in order to learn more about illegal immigration and Jordanian culture. This is definitely a timely issue. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like how Monzy is inspired to immigrate to America because of the hero series (Rocky). It goes to show the extent movies influence thinking. Thanks for the review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Espie wrote: 31 May 2019, 00:54 It's quite heartbreaking when people's circumstances force them into odd choices. Thank you for your honest review of this story.
I agree. Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

maggi3 wrote: 31 May 2019, 01:09 This sounds interesting. I might be willing to look past the editing issues in order to learn more about illegal immigration and Jordanian culture. This is definitely a timely issue. Thanks for the review!
We hear so much about illegals that enter from the south. This book tells the story from a different perspective. Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Wyland wrote: 31 May 2019, 06:40 I like how Monzy is inspired to immigrate to America because of the hero series (Rocky). It goes to show the extent movies influence thinking. Thanks for the review.
That is so true! People think that what they see in the movie is reality. These are our modern-day heroes! I appreciate your comments. Thanks for stopping by!
CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 »

The book sounds interesting. I'd be curious to know if he thought it was worth it in the end. I guess I'd need to read the book to find out.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

CyndiA1 wrote: 31 May 2019, 11:34 The book sounds interesting. I'd be curious to know if he thought it was worth it in the end. I guess I'd need to read the book to find out.
I hope you like the ending! Thanks for commenting.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I find unexplained time jumps and numerous errors distracting; based on your review, this one isn't for me, but I appreciate the honest information.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Cecilia_L wrote: 31 May 2019, 12:51 I find unexplained time jumps and numerous errors distracting; based on your review, this one isn't for me, but I appreciate the honest information.
I hear you! Some things just frustrate the reading experience. Thanks for commenting!
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

This is a very interesting topic, but it is a pity that the grammar errors and the jump from present to past are emerging. As a non-native speaker, these details would confuse me quite a lot. Perhaps the author will improve these aspects so the readers could enjoy a complete experience. However, the book presents a cultural, truthful and educational nuance. Thank you for your sincere review!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Immigration nowadays in the US is such a hot topic. I think this would be an eye-opener. Pity about the grammatical mistakes. Thanks for your honest review! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

InStoree wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 05:07 This is a very interesting topic, but it is a pity that the grammar errors and the jump from present to past are emerging. As a non-native speaker, these details would confuse me quite a lot. Perhaps the author will improve these aspects so the readers could enjoy a complete experience. However, the book presents a cultural, truthful and educational nuance. Thank you for your sincere review!
That's how I felt. The story was interesting, but the numerous mistakes were frustrating. Thanks so much for commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

briellejee wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 08:43 Immigration nowadays in the US is such a hot topic. I think this would be an eye-opener. Pity about the grammatical mistakes. Thanks for your honest review! :tiphat:
That was one of the things that drew me to this book. Your eyes will be opened by this book. Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”