Official Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences...

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War" by Phoebe Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As the Civil War gripped America in gruesome fashion in the 1860s, a 17-year-old boy from Waverly, New York enlisted to help the Union Army defeat the Confederates. Named after a famous abolitionist, Rufus Sayre Harnden would go on to provide a first-hand account of his wartime experience through his personal letters. Author Phoebe Sheldon eventually gained possession of her great-great-grandfather’s letters and has used them in conjunction with her own extensive research on the Civil War to provide this comprehensive memoir titled, Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War.

In a little over 300 pages, this book gives a complete and raw glimpse into the heart, mind, and spirit of a naive young man thrust into the ugliness of war. His own words reveal his emotions as he describes the loneliness of being away from home, longing for familiar faces and a home-cooked meal. From seemingly mundane details like never knowing what he would be doing in the coming hours, to witnessing the death of his friends, Rufus chronicles it all. The young man wrote with an old-soul wisdom and poetic elegance as he described his experiences. At one point he writes: “The air blowing off the field was already heavy with a fetid smell I came to know all too well. I imagined I saw sickly yellow tendrils of it reaching across the torn ground, seeping from the bodies in long fingers that crawled up my legs, twined around my torso, and finally crept up my face into my nostrils.”

The soldiers were scarcely provided for with rations, and were expected to beg for food from farmers to stave off starvation. Dysentery was common, as was the frequent amputation of limbs, which were sometimes severed for surgical practice. Rufus himself was nearly subjected to such extreme measures. The change in Rufus as time elapses is noticeable as he becomes more accustomed to the horrors of war, describing with resigned acceptance things like witnessing young soldiers getting their legs blown off and crying our for their mothers. My heart ached from some of the descriptions and at other times I felt such warmth toward Rufus who had an incredible compassion and conscience. He is a truly loveable narrator, and following along with his story was profound.

There was so much to appreciate about this book. I found it exceptionally well-orchestrated in production and research, with Sheldon's dedication to the fruition of this book really shining through. Using the letters as a foundation, Sheldon was able to fill in the blanks and provide all the necessary background information, context, definitions, and statistics. She starts each section with Rufus' words as they were originally written (often grammatically incorrect), then follows up with a smorgasbord of footnotes. After that comes stunning black and white photos related to the reading material.

This is where I would provide suggestions or feedback for improvements, but I have none in this case. The book is well-crafted, well-researched, beautifully organized, and provides an authentic and honest look into the life of a young soldier at war. This book has earned 4 out of 4 stars, and targets an adult audience interested in war-era historical nonfiction.

Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War
View: on Bookshelves

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds intense and well-written. The title surprised me at first because I am currently reading a book called Rufus and another book about the Civil War.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I think this would be quite powerful. I think sometimes we gloss over the horrors of war too much. Books like this help to bring it home. It's definitely one I'll put on my list. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

This must have been a fun project for Phoebe Sheldon. I imagine it to be difficult at times to read through the raw emotions one must experience while away fighting in a horrifying war setting. I am dumbfounded at the report of amputation for practice! I have no doubt my heart would also ache throughout this entire book, especially having close family members directly involved in recent wars. Sheldon clearly has access to wonderful material. I wonder if she will consider donating the collection to a museum some day? I would not typically care to read a piece on war, but I admit this review has stirred an interest in this book for me.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Fascinating and compelling review of a book which sounds equally fascinating and compelling as well as very intense. As the Civil war is one of my fascinations, especially when actual accounts from those who fought it is included, this book is going straight onto my TBR shelf. Thanks so much for your review.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The author has such a way with words! The premise is intriguing, and the American Civil War is something which I would like to know more about - I will place this on my to-read list. Thanks for the review.
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

So the book is not very long and it is so rich in American History. Then I might read it one day. Thanks for this review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love stories that include actual historical elements like the letters. Your comments about the rest of the story make this book very appealing to me. Thanks for the interesting review!
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

War is quite a life-changing experience. I would love to read his experiences through his personal letters in this book.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a must read for me. I love historical books. Thanks for the nice review and for providing wonderful insights into the book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

This sounds like an awesome tale. To depict the changing emotions, a young boy experiences with the progress of the civil war, with such talent, the author must be immensely talented. I definitely want to read this book and I have to say, I loved reading your review very much and enjoyed it thoroughly. So, thank you!!!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”