Official Review: Butterfly by Kathleen Sullivan McDonald

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Butterfly by Kathleen Sullivan McDonald

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Butterfly" by Kathleen Sullivan McDonald.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Butterfly by Kathleen Sullivan McDonald, despite following Bridget, a fictional character, is primarily the author's memoir about dealing with profound loneliness in the face of losing her loved ones. She leaves her family in Scotland to live in Florida, and she loses several members of her family, including her older brother, Patrick. After she has a dream where he visits her, she decides to become a nurse, a goal she pursues even while other people close to her pass away back in Scotland.

Right off the bat, it should be obvious that this is a character-driven story. There's relatively little dialogue. Instead, Bridget has many inner monologues, and the narrative often skips several years at a time or simply describes what is happening rather than providing specific scenes. This is especially prominent in the last part of the book, where Bridget is in school. Since the focus of the novel is Bridget's inner growth, this makes sense, but I can see people who are fans of vivid worldbuilding and individual scenes being turned off by this.

Bridget, as a character, is remarkably well-rounded. This makes sense, as she is a stand-in for the author herself, but it was still impressive how well the author was able to communicate her thoughts. The book is laid out in such a way that her character arc itself is clear and satisfying, with an effective resolution. Despite numerous time skips, the pacing works for what the author is trying to accomplish, and characters other than Bridget are realistic enough to not be distracting.

I was disappointed to see numerous grammatical errors, such as mixing up homonyms like "rye" and "wry," and several comma issues. These didn't pop up constantly, but they were distracting enough to disrupt reading whenever they occurred. The author's writing style also frequently sacrifices clarity for flowery language, and when this happens, it's very difficult to understand what the author even means to say. This was the only sub-par element of the novel for me, but it came up with such regularity that I kept wishing the book had been edited more thoroughly for clarity and grammar.

Ultimately, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It would have earned a better rating if it had been edited more thoroughly, but as it stands, it is a gripping memoir about how the author coped with losing people close to her and even being separated from her country of origin. If any of these topics are of interest to you, this book is worth checking out.

Butterfly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

This seems to me to be an interesting book, since it describes the life of the author after the tragic loss of loved ones.
Thank for very good review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds intriguing. A memoir but with a fictional character? It doesn't really sound like my cup of tea, so I'll probably pass. It's too bad that this wasn't edited, but I'm glad that you were able to find some enjoyment in it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author has found a creative way to present her memoir. She has experienced quite a bit of loss but presents it in a fictional way instead of lamenting about her life. This sounds interesting. Thanks for your insightful review.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like the author's memoir where she takes the character of Bridget who is lonely and facing some loss in her life, something that informs her decision to be nurse. Thanks for the review.
mblmn_mortician
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mblmn-mortician.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by mblmn_mortician »

I'm not sure how a memoir will read with a fictional character, but I tend to enjoy books where the writer and/or characters reflect on life events that shape their lives. Loss has a way of allowing us to reflect more deeply. Butterfly looks like an interesting read. Thank you for your review.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The cover art is beautiful, but I dislike memoirs with time gaps and fictional aspects. I recently read one with a quite confusing timeline. However, I appreciate your interesting review.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

The book cover caught my attention immediately when I was browsing through reviews! It's sad that the plot skips around. I really enjoy books that take time to develop each area of the character's life and actions. Given there is so little dialogue, does Bridget avoid people and not interact with them, or does the author summarize these things instead? Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

A sad memoir about the author's resilience might be my object of interest. Sad to say, I was put off by the errors. I am not sure if I will read this book. If it is free, I might.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”