Official Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Official Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues

Post by Espie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues" by Nikolay N Bey.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The world of work has been changing and becoming more complex in some aspects. For instance, as technology paves the way for faster speeds, more efficiency, increased productivity, and greater outputs, the need for workers to exert more effort to keep up becomes more pronounced. But some could not help but lag behind. We all have our own unique set of abilities as well as limitations. Nikolay N Bey’s Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues highlights the same predicament. It is about a young man named Jason, who has become unlucky enough to be plagued with more employment struggles than usual. Although having a job is important to him, he finds it difficult to keep one. He then finds himself a garbage collection role, which he tries to retain as he also sorts out his psychological struggles along the way.

Although this piece has been classified as a crime, mystery, thriller, and horror book in our club’s Bookshelves, it is listed under the action and adventure genre elsewhere. It is definitely not the latter. It could be the former but only because of how mentally challenging it is for a reader to fully appreciate its value. I had to fully disregard all the technical definitions of what a good book should be, for instance. I also had to discover and grasp significance and meaning that could exist but are not obviously implied by its 122 pages.

On an ordinary day, I wouldn’t have chosen this book, but I still did because of its author-provided description. I always root for the underdog’s tale that the blurb made it seem to be about. I am also inspired by stories of survival against great odds. With all of such in mind, there should be less reason for my disappointment. Firstly, Jason’s resilience is quite admirable. Day in and day out, he falters. Yet he also gets up and does whatever he can. Also, noteworthy is this piece’s emphasis on love and family. One can’t readily say that Jason is the usual heroic protagonist with the stereotypical good looks, strength, talent, wealth, stature or other abilities. In fact, his lack of such qualities may even be more pronounced. However, even with “warts and all” albeit in a figurative sense, Jessica still loves him as much as he loves her. His parents’ love, understanding, and support for him have been greatly evident and quite overwhelming, too. They are always there, especially when he needs them most. Further, I’d choose a decent job over dishonest ones even if it isn’t as popular as the others. I appreciate Jason’s decision to be productive through possible means instead of living a life of dependence or lethargy.

As poignant and compelling as the theme is the sad fact that the composition really failed in meeting acceptable writing standards that I am currently aware of. It has more areas for improvement than any other material that I’ve encountered before. The manuscript needs not only one but all levels of editing and proofreading possible. The text on the cover page looks fine; all the rest of the book, though, has formatting issues with one letter per row as a normal occurrence in more than 90% of its pages. Punctuation, capitalization, spelling, subject-verb agreement, and all other basic grammar rules are defied more often than not. Thoughts and scenes are too repetitive that it is easier to stop real reading and start skimming through. The following appears on the first page of its main text: “Jason Kendall apartment brunch room, Jason exit the washroom to the brunch room, in the…” It is not a surprise to find similar sentences in almost (if not totally) all of its remaining pages. To be honest, there could even be other flaws and shortcomings that critical reviewers may find aside from what I already cited. Thus, with the prospective usual audience’s possible expectations and all other considerations in mind, it is with a heavy heart that I give this book 1 out of 4 stars.

Nonetheless, if you also have a propensity for giving everything and everyone a “fair go” despite what’s initially apparent, you may still wish to give this one a chance. If you are looking for a challenge, then this one is for you as well. Above all else, the author accomplished something not every one of us has dared to do – getting his work published. That is not only a good start but also a truly awesome feat worth gleaning.

Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Espie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I am so sorry that this book is not well edited, with its punctuation, capitalization and similar errors. But regardless of it, I think it's worth reading, considering an interesting main character and concept of the book.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This would be a frustrating book to read. I appreciate your perseverance and honest opinions about the book. Thanks!
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

Thank you for the review. What an intriguing story. It's too bad that the book isn't properly edited. That is like an added barrier on top of a already challenging read.
unamilagra
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Wow, sorry this was such a challenging read for you! This is a very thorough and kind review, great job with it!
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

It looks like the book is really disapointing. whether thriler or action, i believe the storyline is exciting. thanks for the review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems way too quirky for me; I'll have to give this a pass, although it seems like an exciting read if the audience is correct. Thanks for the review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

It is too bad this book failed to meet the mark. Thanks for your honest review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I suppose there's something to be said for having a fully published work. It sounds like too much of a challenge for me for far too many reasons. I'm going to skip it, but bravo to you for making it through to the end.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Christal Merkey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 736
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christal-merkey.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic
2024 Reading Goal: 4
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Christal Merkey »

Thanks for the review! I never read this book yet, but it does sound interesting despite the errors mentioned.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I will pass this for the poor editing. But also the plot about a struggling worker wiith psychological problems doesn't appear too appealing. Thanks for the review.
Espie

Post by Espie »

ivana7 wrote: 27 May 2019, 06:36 I am so sorry that this book is not well edited, with its punctuation, capitalization and similar errors. But regardless of it, I think it's worth reading, considering an interesting main character and concept of the book.
It's something for someone who's ready for a challenge. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
Espie

Post by Espie »

kdstrack wrote: 27 May 2019, 10:22 This would be a frustrating book to read. I appreciate your perseverance and honest opinions about the book. Thanks!
It's something for someone who's ready for a challenge. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and kind words.
Espie

Post by Espie »

TuyetMai wrote: 27 May 2019, 11:30 Thank you for the review. What an intriguing story. It's too bad that the book isn't properly edited. That is like an added barrier on top of a already challenging read.
It's something for someone who's ready for a challenge, indeed. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and kind words.
Espie

Post by Espie »

unamilagra wrote: 27 May 2019, 13:41 Wow, sorry this was such a challenging read for you! This is a very thorough and kind review, great job with it!
Thank you for sharing your wise thoughts and kind words.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”