Official Review: Raggy Arsed Lads by Allan Finlay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: Raggy Arsed Lads by Allan Finlay

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raggy Arsed Lads" by Allan Finlay.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raggy Arsed Lads is an Audible book authored by Allan Finlay. The story is set in a humble background around 60 years ago in England. Ordinary people with strong characters look satisfied with their jobs working in mills and mines. They do not desire change because it gives them a sense of security. They live for the moment, and laughter is the cure for all problems. Raggy Arsed Lads are naughty but very helpful and hardworking. The class system is strong, and a boy usually follows the same profession as his father.

Tommy McCue’s father is a coal miner in a smoky town. He dies in a tragic mine collapse. The young lad supports his mother by taking up odd jobs, but he dreams of doing great things in life. Several years later, he is the owner of a yard on Stumble Street. Rosie is in her mid-fifties and works as his secretary. Tommy gathers metals and other products from demolitions that are sold to scrap dealers. He also scraps vehicles to sell their parts. Big Barry assists him and is a very funny character who excels as a mechanic. A young lad, Norman, is thrilled to work with them. There’s nothing like Kathy’s Full Monty Breakfast which the townspeople enjoy.

Councilor Bumsgrove is the baddie in the plot. He is the character I dislike most because he hates Tommy and harasses him to the point of starting legal proceedings to terminate his business. The Raggy Arsed Lads play pranks on him and make one laugh heartily throughout the story. The events bring out the reality of starting a new business and struggling to come up in life. I noticed that the people belonging to the older generation are very helpful and do so without any display. I like how a dealer named Mr. McManus decides to let Tommy learn through difficulties. There is a scene in which Tommy is tempted to take away copper pipes lying along the roadside. He loads them onto his bus but changes his mind and begins unloading them as soon as his conscience pricks him. The most hilarious part of the story is when Tommy signs a contract to scrap 50 double-decker buses, which are then driven by Raggy Arsed Lads from London to the yard. A duplicate of Elvis Presley entertains them along the way.

The author is very innovative regarding character development, and it is a delight to listen to the dialogues. The story changes pace depending on the setting. It is slow in the small town and fast when they are driving. It is motivational and full of amusement.

I did not come across any technical issues or errors in the narrative. It takes 2 to 3 hours to listen to the entire book on Audible, depending on how slowly you play it. You may also read it simultaneously on Kindle for a different experience. The narrator is excellent in his presentation with his ability to change his voice to represent different characters with their varied personalities. His speech is clear, and he has good intonation. For all these reasons, I am happy to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. People of all age groups will enjoy it. Raggy Arsed Lads is an excellent educational tool for teenagers who struggle through life with joy.

Raggy Arsed Lads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This is a hilarious title for a book! Sounds like an engaging read or listen! Thanks for the wonderful review!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I'm curious about the pranks that Councilor Bumsgrove was forced to endure by this hearty group of lads. Sounds like a very enjoyable story. Thank you for your great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This story has some unique themes. I enjoyed the humorous events you cited from the book. Thanks for the great review!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I enjoy character-driven stories so I think I would find this one quite interesting. I love the humor that is woven throughout the book. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like the portrayal of life in old England and it is good to learn that kids followed the profession of the father. Nice review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Every once in a while, I enjoy a good audiobook. Usually it's when I'm on a long trip. This one seems intriguing, but I usually choose longer books. I'll keep it in mind, though. Glad you enjoyed it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love books that make me laugh while reading them. I feel like I don't read enough of them sometimes and I will have to take a look at this one. Thanks for a great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”