Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Re: Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

This book cannot end Christianity. No book or ideology can. If they could, it would have ended thousands of years ago.
The_book_of_t
Currently Reading: A Baby's Cry
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-book-of-t.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by The_book_of_t »

lisalynn wrote: 02 May 2019, 08:30 One book end Christianity? That's like saying, will dipping a bucket of water from the Pacific Ocean cause it to dry up.
I quite enjoy this analogy, it's a really good point too.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 06:03 What do you think was the aim of this book especially considering all the research the author had to carry out to aid him in writing the book? Do you think his intentions were just to dispense knowladge and not an attack to christianity? If this book is read by many people across the world, do you think it might put an end to christianity?
I honestly cannot say what the author's intention was in writing this book. I've learned by now that that rarely leads to meaningful examinations of the work. However, my personal view of what the author wrote made me think that he is not so much trying to attack Christianity itself but the narrow-mindedness of those who study and interpret the Bible. He seems to merely be presenting an alternate reading of a well-known story in the hopes that people will begin to analyze the Bible from more than just the most widely distributed reading. That's not to say that the author didn't have some bias in his writings. He definitely seems to, especially in his attitude toward biblical scholars and the writers of the New Testament, and from an academic perspective, such bias bothers me. However, I don't see any evidence in his writing that he meant to do anything other than get people to view the scripture with a new eye.

Would this book put an end to Christianity if it were read widely throughout the world? No, definitely not. I agree with everyone else; the institution of Christianity is too old and too ingrained into our society to be eradicated by one book alone, especially since it is not really undermining Christian teachings, just redefining them a little. In fact, I doubt that Christianity could be entirely put to an end in our lifetime. One book or radical thought could be a catalyst for the change--although I'm not sure if this is that book--but that would require the change to pick up momentum, which cannot be accomplished by one book alone.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Short answer would be ...No.
Connecting Bible passages and telling what he or she believes them to be said is something every christian does when reading Bible or most of them...But I can only speak for myself and for that all I can say is I find his book to be his interpretation, and one book can never be end of religion.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I feel that the author is trying to educate us on the subject.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

56lives wrote: 24 May 2019, 08:26 I do not understand the question properly. Is it the end of Christianity? If yes, then I will say that a single book based on academic research cannot end Christianity. Christianity has stood the test of time, actually more than 2000 years. I believe that Christianity is more than a religion. It is life. As such no publication will ever stop its surge.
This explains how I feel. I feel like no published book, no matter how well written, can END Christianity.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
vivalatianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivalatianne.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by vivalatianne »

I don’t think so... Christianity is HUGE! And it won’t just end by one book. It will take a lot of effort, research, protest and DEBATE.
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

I don't think a single book can end christianity. I can make some people begin researching their faith in a deeper way, however.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

vivalatianne wrote: 28 May 2019, 23:00 I don’t think so... Christianity is HUGE! And it won’t just end by one book. It will take a lot of effort, research, protest and DEBATE.
Even in a wasteland scenario, like The Book of Eli, Christianity survived 🙂.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
vivalatianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivalatianne.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by vivalatianne »

InStoree wrote: 29 May 2019, 08:53
vivalatianne wrote: 28 May 2019, 23:00 I don’t think so... Christianity is HUGE! And it won’t just end by one book. It will take a lot of effort, research, protest and DEBATE.
Even in a wasteland scenario, like The Book of Eli, Christianity survived 🙂.
Precisely my point
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

No, this book will not end Christianity. It may, however, have some serious negative effects on Gnosticism.Great conversation!
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

esp1975 wrote: 24 May 2019, 19:54 If every Christian read this book AND if every Christian then accepted the author's conclusions, then perhaps this book could end Christianity. Certainly, the ideas that Christ was NOT sacrificed, and that the only way to be saved is to study with a living Master, run antithetical to Christian teachings.
However, not every Christian is going to read this book, and even for those that do, I think it is safe to say, based on the responses on this thread alone, most are not going to accept the author's conclusions.
As many have mentioned, there have been numerous threats to Christianity over the years, including ones that have come from differing translations of the Bible. Just think about how many different versions are in use right now!
As a non religious person, I find these arguments fascinating, but did not feel the author supported them well enough for me to fully accept them. I would like to see an actual Biblical scholar take this up and respond, just because I think the debate would be incredibly enlightening.
Me, too. I hope you can find one for me. (The Author.)
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

InStoree wrote: 26 May 2019, 09:52
Zeix wrote: 25 May 2019, 00:07 Not many people read books, so for Christianity to end it would take more than a book to do so.
😀 Indeed, those who are not book's fans will miss the so-called end of Christianity! But, what if the book is so good that a movie will be produced, and then some soundtracks with the same message, and then t-shirts, pens, pillows and so on? The book will spread like a virus and eliminate the Christians, one by one. And even so, I still think that there will be one or two who would have missed the lesson. 🙂
When I say Christianity is over, I mean it is because the period evidence for it being inauthentic is now found. It is nothing to do with religious argument, which is also possible, but is a literary origins argument. The New Testament Gospel story isn't original, nor is it informative. It is disinformation -- and for a specific purpose: to hide succession. This isn't even particularly unique to history, either.
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

No, christianity has never been influenced by opinions of people governments etc. Their greatest pillar is faith, believing in something that has not happened. So this auther will be dismissed as another agent of the devil.
Anthony__
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

The book can not end Christianity that have been existing for centuries. I guess the author expressed his opinion.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”